“Loved it” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birmingham Zoo

Birmingham Zoo
Ranked #9 of 88 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch sea lions being trained and fed, zip around on the Zoo Train, hop on the carousel, check out the alligator swamp and tropical rain forest: all this and more are offered at this educational and entertaining zoo housing 170 animals from around the world, including endangered species.
Atlanta, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

My sister and I visited the zoo while in Birmingham. I am a kid at heart and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED seeing all of the animals. I was a little surprised to find that there were no bears at the zoo. And also a little disappointed that all of the animals were caged. I guess I was comparing it to the Atlanta Zoo, where the animals are allowed to roam around in more of a "natural habitat."

Patrons are not allowed to bring food into the zoo because the signs say that food is for sale inside the zoo. However, none of the food places were open. The signs said they would reopen in the spring. I would suggest bringing in a few snacks if you visit.

Visited March 2014

• Korean first
Birmingham, Alabama
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Amazing trip makes an amazing day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

It's not completely summer yet, which makes it even better because it is not hot out. My boyfriend and I spent four and a half hours here! I love being able to take your time look at all the animals and take as many pictures as you like. It wasn't super crowded yet, of course lots of parents and kids! You can do a train ride, which we did not. All we did was walk around and take pictures. We did eat there, of course you know it's going to be a little pricey. One of the things we did, which was my favorite thing was feeding the birds nectar. They perch on your head, hand, or even shoulders. We had an amazing time as you can tell we spent hours there!

Visited March 2014
Johnson City, Tennessee
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Surprisingly good zoo in an unexpected place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

The Birmingham zoo is spectacular considering that most towns of Birmingham's size do not even have one. The have all of the essentials: from big cats, to primates, and reptiles to birds. Don't expect a lot of sea life (although the sea lions are pretty cool), but it is a great stop for active families and individuals from all walks if life!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Very Nice Little Zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I love going to the zoo...always have. And I was pleased enough with my trip to the Birmingham Zoo to purchase a family membership so I can stake my kids and grandkids when they visit. It is a clean, well-maintained zoo that has a nice variety of animals. For the most part the exhibits are very accessible and most of them are adequate for the animals that live there. It looks like they are working on developing the habitats to be more spacious and natural for the animals as evidenced by the great elephant exhibit. It is an easy zoo to walk and would be great for families with small children. I only have one negative comment....I really dislike the faux "Lion King" music that plays in the African section. It just ruins the natural look and feel of the area and adds an unnecessary "kitchy" feel to it. I'd much rather hear the animals, birds, wind, and sounds of happy people enjoying the zoo. but, that said, it really is a great place to visit.

Visited January 2014
Hoover, Alabama
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“We love the Birmingham Zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Took the grand kids on Saturday to the Zoo. We love the Zoo and have an annual pass and use it often to take the grand kids. All the employees are very friendly and will answer any question you might have about the animals. We love how they always have something going on. As a photo nut I would like to see the glass windows cleaned more often to allow for better photos of the animals and we only wish there were some bears.

Visited February 2014