“Better than the rest!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birmingham Zoo

Birmingham Zoo
Ranked #9 of 88 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch sea lions being trained and fed, zip around on the Zoo Train, hop on the carousel, check out the alligator swamp and tropical rain forest: all this and more are offered at this educational and entertaining zoo housing 170 animals from around the world, including endangered species.
Chickamauga
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than the rest!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Been to the Atlanta zoo and the Knoxville zoo and this one is far superior. We were able to get close to the animals and really see them compared to other zoos. The zoo was not overly crowded even on a weekend. The only down side is the food.

1 Thank bospe394

• Korean first
MIAMI
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not a large zoo, but it was well maintained.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you have a few hours to kill and the weather is nice, this is a nice place to go. Close to the city. The zoo is not large, but they have a nice collection of animals and well maintained.

1 Thank Fausto6000
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“I love the Birmingham zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I live in North Carolina, but often go to Birmingham. Some friends suggested I take my family to see the Birmingham zoo, so I did. We had a great time there. I had my granny, who was in a wheelchair, and it was easy to everything. They had a beautiful white tiger there, along with tons of other beautiful animals. I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for a fun outing with the family.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank AllisonGrooms
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very nice zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We travel to Alabama on a regular basis for family reasons. This is one of our favorite stops. The zoo has some great exhibits and the kids love it. The train is un to ride and gives you a nice break from walking.

1 Thank Adam L
Chicago, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Many animal interactions!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

As someone who has toured many zoos I find myself entering a new zoo with a fairly low set of expectations from having been disappointed so many times, so I must begin by saying The Birmingham Zoo was an incredibly nice surprise.

If your children are younger I would recommend bringing them swimwear and a towel. The zoo has a great splashpad area and "foam zone" (like a jump house filled with soap bubbles) that looked like a lot of fun. My children are older so we did not purchase the "wristband" option that includes the carousel and train rides.

We arrived early as the zoo was opening and took our time wandering the exhibits. My son rode the camel and thought that was hilarious. We continued through the African Veldt area stopping awhile to watch people feed the giraffes. I could not get over how close we were to the giraffes even when we were not participating in the feeding. It was fascinating.

Next we circled around to the elephant exhibit where a great staff member was talking about the elephant in the habitat. She had a great deal of information to share. She also had a bucket of apples and would hand slices to the kids for them to throw to the elephant. The elephant would watch the children to see where they threw the apples and them would eat them and look back at them for more. It may not sound like much but the kids found that simple interaction quite entertaining.

From there we headed through the primate house and then around to the flamingos, where again you could purchase some pellet food and feed them. It was a great activity and really engaged the kids more than just "looking" does.

Last but not least we bought little cups of nectar in the aviary gift shop which we used to feed the lorikeets. I will tell you these birds are not shy! I tend to think of birds as skittish creatures but these birds will jump right at you as soon as you enter the enclosure with that little cup. So be careful if assisting small children.

We saw the whole zoo in about three hours and were finished by 1:00, which was perfect as it was just getting hot. I would highly recommend a visit to this zoo.

Visited July 2013