“Not up to Hampton Inn Standards”

Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Ranked #18 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Not up to the quality I usually get from Hampton Inn. Hard beds, no central air control, outdated bathrooms. Glad I was only there for a few hours before heading to the airport. Also, the King room cost more than the Queen room, which is unusual for a Hampton Inn.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very sorry for the fact that you did not have a comfortable stay. . I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We would love for you to give us an opportunity to make up for your poor experience.

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have 21 nights in Hilton/Hampton Inns so far this year. This stay was the first time I asked for a wake-up call and didn't get it. Then to top it off, though I had set my alarm, the time was one hour off (being in a different-than-home-time-zone, I hadn't noticed it). In order to catch my ride to the airport, I had 10 minutes to clean up and pack. The hotel did compensate me for my difficulty, but it soured my opinion of this location.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel has airport shuttle listed as one of their services. I believe, that if a hotel says they service an airport with a shuttle they should do that based on the schedule of flights at that airport. It not it would be better to list "Local area shuttle". If you really like the hotel and would like to stay there you can call and get the details of the local area shuttle and it's schedule. Needless to say, I stayed there for an early morning international flight that left at 6am (honestly that is not even very early but when you live a long way from the airport that can mean getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning). I was a bit disappointed when I checked in that the first shuttle was at 5am, but the hotel was close and no need to look for parking or anything so I should be fine. The next morning I was ready and waiting. But there was no driver, I could hear the staff calling the driver but to no avail. Eventually one of the staff took me to the airport, we left 10 or so minutes late but I made my flight. On my return by the time I got my bags and called for the shuttle to pick me up it was a bit after 11. The front desk said the shuttle had stopped running for the night. I said my car is there, what would you suggest? They said you will have to get a taxi. If it was 2am I might understand (although I have had that experience and called the hotel and they sent the airport shuttle over). My bottom line is don't advertise an airport shuttle if you aren't going to provide service for the regular hours of operation of the airport.

2  Thank Tony R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great hotel, large quiet rooms, friendly and accommodating staff, good rates, convenient to all areas of B'ham and the airport. I stay here a minimum of five nights per month and have received consistently high quality in all areas - service, value, sleep quality, cleanliness and room size and accommodation. Highest recommendation.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was there April of 2013 -

As with every Hampton Suites I've used, this one was very good so I'll not comment on the usual stuff. That was all OK. The issue is finding it at all.

If you are east bound on I-20, the interstate is CLOSED at Exit 130 and still closed beyond Exit 133 (the exit listed in the website directions) and so it cannot be reached from I-20 Eastbound. When you get off to try to get to the hotel some other way the surface streets are very convoluted and crooked - quite a mishmash.

Follow the I-20 detour signs and then double back. Westbound I-20 is OK and Exit 133 is open from that direction. Or, call the hotel and they will talk you in.

If you make it onto Grants Mill Road, the entrance to the hotel IS NOT MARKED. You come in at the rear of the hotel and there is no Hampton sign anywhere to be seen, not even on the building. If you've stayed at Hamptons you will recognize the shape or if you dead-end into Kilgore Memorial Road (about 100 yds past the hotel entrance) you'll know you just passed it.

My advice - when you get close (or before you depart home) call the hotel for directions ahead of time. I wish I had known to do that.

You'll enjoy the stay.

BTW - getting onto I-20 eastbound the next morning is easy - just a slight detour to a part of I-459 using Grant's Mill Road from the hotel and then back onto I-20. That part was a snap.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first floor suites (108-110) and found them spacious and very convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

No big surprises at this Hampton, staff was friendly and helpful and room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was typical cereals eggs and waffles. Location was good for traveling through Birmingham although getting into the hotel was a bit tricky, you have to watch for a small sign that says Hampton Inn and go up a hill on a road that is behind the hotel, just glad it was still daylight when we arrived. Overall a decent stay, but if i was going to Birmingham for a stay I would probably stay elsewhere

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at this location on a weeknight for business. The room was comfortable and generally quiet. The fan had the option of auto/constant, which I love since the fan offers some ambient noise. Everything was clean and felt new. The tv picture quality left something to be desired, however, it wasn't necessarily atypical of piped in hotel television.

The breakfast was enjoyable and as expected from a Hampton Inn, but nothing to write home about. The checkout experience and hotel shuttle to BHM Airport ran without any issue. I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business