“If your goal is to get to/from the airport for an early/late flight don't stay here.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Northport, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel has airport shuttle listed as one of their services. I believe, that if a hotel says they service an airport with a shuttle they should do that based on the schedule of flights at that airport. It not it would be better to list "Local area shuttle". If you really like the hotel and would like to stay there you can call and get the details of the local area shuttle and it's schedule. Needless to say, I stayed there for an early morning international flight that left at 6am (honestly that is not even very early but when you live a long way from the airport that can mean getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning). I was a bit disappointed when I checked in that the first shuttle was at 5am, but the hotel was close and no need to look for parking or anything so I should be fine. The next morning I was ready and waiting. But there was no driver, I could hear the staff calling the driver but to no avail. Eventually one of the staff took me to the airport, we left 10 or so minutes late but I made my flight. On my return by the time I got my bags and called for the shuttle to pick me up it was a bit after 11. The front desk said the shuttle had stopped running for the night. I said my car is there, what would you suggest? They said you will have to get a taxi. If it was 2am I might understand (although I have had that experience and called the hotel and they sent the airport shuttle over). My bottom line is don't advertise an airport shuttle if you aren't going to provide service for the regular hours of operation of the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank Tony R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great hotel, large quiet rooms, friendly and accommodating staff, good rates, convenient to all areas of B'ham and the airport. I stay here a minimum of five nights per month and have received consistently high quality in all areas - service, value, sleep quality, cleanliness and room size and accommodation. Highest recommendation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was there April of 2013 -

As with every Hampton Suites I've used, this one was very good so I'll not comment on the usual stuff. That was all OK. The issue is finding it at all.

If you are east bound on I-20, the interstate is CLOSED at Exit 130 and still closed beyond Exit 133 (the exit listed in the website directions) and so it cannot be reached from I-20 Eastbound. When you get off to try to get to the hotel some other way the surface streets are very convoluted and crooked - quite a mishmash.

Follow the I-20 detour signs and then double back. Westbound I-20 is OK and Exit 133 is open from that direction. Or, call the hotel and they will talk you in.

If you make it onto Grants Mill Road, the entrance to the hotel IS NOT MARKED. You come in at the rear of the hotel and there is no Hampton sign anywhere to be seen, not even on the building. If you've stayed at Hamptons you will recognize the shape or if you dead-end into Kilgore Memorial Road (about 100 yds past the hotel entrance) you'll know you just passed it.

My advice - when you get close (or before you depart home) call the hotel for directions ahead of time. I wish I had known to do that.

You'll enjoy the stay.

BTW - getting onto I-20 eastbound the next morning is easy - just a slight detour to a part of I-459 using Grant's Mill Road from the hotel and then back onto I-20. That part was a snap.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first floor suites (108-110) and found them spacious and very convenient.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Moore, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

No big surprises at this Hampton, staff was friendly and helpful and room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was typical cereals eggs and waffles. Location was good for traveling through Birmingham although getting into the hotel was a bit tricky, you have to watch for a small sign that says Hampton Inn and go up a hill on a road that is behind the hotel, just glad it was still daylight when we arrived. Overall a decent stay, but if i was going to Birmingham for a stay I would probably stay elsewhere

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this location on a weeknight for business. The room was comfortable and generally quiet. The fan had the option of auto/constant, which I love since the fan offers some ambient noise. Everything was clean and felt new. The tv picture quality left something to be desired, however, it wasn't necessarily atypical of piped in hotel television.

The breakfast was enjoyable and as expected from a Hampton Inn, but nothing to write home about. The checkout experience and hotel shuttle to BHM Airport ran without any issue. I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Blue Ridge, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. I always try to stay at a Hampton Inn, if possible, and I would definitely repeat a stay in this location. Clean and quiet! The only thing I missed was a refrigerator, but I failed to ask for one, as I was only there one night, so that is my fault. I feel sure that if I had asked, I would have had one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was really impressed by this property. I only stayed one night; arrived late, had to leave early, but the hotel made it a nice stay.

The Hilton website lists this as an airport hotel but the hotel is a $20 cab ride from the airport. The check-in was efficient and the lobby has hot coffee at all times. The studio suite looked brand new - king bed, sofa, work station, complimentary internet access, plenty of electric outlets, microwave, refrigerator, bar counter and sink, large bathroom sink counter.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RDShell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#46 of 79 in Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham/280 East-Eagle Point
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Trussville

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale? Share your experiences!