“Where was management?”

Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Bristow, VA
“Where was management?”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I always stay in Hampton Inn's when I have the choice and will seek them out over other, more conveient locations (as we did on this trip), because the Hampton Chain does such a good job at standardizing its properties. Even among it's older facilities, Hampton's are almost always updated inside, clean and well kept. This is why I must give this location a poor score because I must comparing it with other Hampton's. We stayed one night here. The lobby seemed updated but our room on the second floor was not. I don't usually mind color but this was painted a mint green, which I've never seen in a Hampton. It was like trying to sleep in Grandma's kitchen. While this doesn't affect your sleep, the paint was old and there were black marks on the wall from the chair. The next morning, we went for coffee. There was no regular cream. When we asked they said, they didn't have any, that the truck would be there tomorrow. Later we went back for breakfast before leaving for the airport. There was no butter or margarine. We had to walk into the kitchen to find someone. There was a poor lady there spoke little english. There was also no manager present. It really takes very little effort for a good manager to run down to a market to get cream and butter if no delivery has been made. A nice breakfast is part of the Hampton experience. I'm afraid that this location just doesn't make the grade. We went out of our way to say here and were unfortunately disapointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Madison, Alabama, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2013

indoor pool; clean; very nice firm bed; internet service; good breakfast; room was next to kitchen and the sounds through the walls woke me up at around 5:00. But, would stay there again. 30,000 Hilton Honors points to stay here? I don't understand. I have stayed at similar places for about 10000 points.

Room Tip: room 108 is beside the kitchen and you can hear noises through the wall at 5:00 am
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great place to stay if you are traveling on I-20 going towardsa Atlanta.

GPS address is 3930 Old Grants Mill Rd
Irondale, AL 35210

Hubs and I needed a place to lay our heads after driving in the car for 10 hrs.

LOCATION: This location was VERY close to the freeway and was ideal for when we needed to continue on the next morning.

Customer Service: Although the CS was extremely good, I found it hard to get past that everyone behind the check in counter looked like they either just woke up (wrinkled uniforms) or were just not happy. I was happy that it didn't reflect in the way they operated though. Just an observation.

Rooms: VERY clean. I love the open floor plan and the in-room coffee maker. Bed was very comfy.

Breakfast buffet: BOO. -___- ugh. My only complaint. They have a select few choices of cereals...the only thing decent enough to eat. The fruit was warm and mushy, the fold-over-a-piece-of-gov'nt-cheese omelet was border line bounce-able (rubbery) and the bread was stale. They do, however, have a waffle station where you can make your own but I didn't want to fuss with that. So much for hot breakfast -___-

Overall will recommend this hotel for anyone traveling through the area. Friendly staff and comfy beds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We couldn't get hotel reservations in town for the recent BBVA Compass Bowl, so we booked a room at this location. The hotel is in a safe, quiet area located conveniently near the highway. The staff was very friendly and helpful. When we arrived at 1 p.m., our room was not ready. We were about to leave when the woman from the front desk came running out to flag us down because our room had just been completed. The breakfast was excellent and had lots of variety and healthy options. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Lovely stay.Clean and modern. Was not expecting the quality linens, pillows and furnishings. Breakfast was wonderful. 24 hour tea and coffee appreciated. Would stay again. Close to airport, tucked away on a hill, but just off the interstate.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past several years, but on this recent trip I noticed that the price of the hotel is high for the quality of the rooms. The staff is very accommodating, which is great, and the rooms are adequate and appear to have been updated, but the price is rather high. The parking is a minor problem if you are in an upper floor and you want to take the elevator. I would stay at this hotel again, but I would also search for other hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the fitness room. It can be very noisy in that area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at this location for a recent wedding I attended. I was immediately greeted by a very professional staff and for my entire stay I was treated first class ! This location is hidden from the interstate but I found it to be a diamond in the rough. It is a beautiful and extremely clean place. The bed was wonderful and the breakfast was even better ! I would recommend this location to anyone that may be in search of a relaxing and enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#47 of 79 in Birmingham
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Trussville
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham/280 East-Eagle Point

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale? Share your experiences!