“TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed March 13, 2011

The location is not in the best place, and you have to pay $10 for parking, but yet the parking is outside by the streets where your car can get broken into because of the neighborhood. The mattress on the bed was hard and my back was hurting when I woke up. Went to breakfast at 9:45 am and they had already taken up the breakfast food, except oatmeal that looked like soup, and waffle mix, but no butter, forks, and drinks, even though breakfast was till 10 am. Never been to a hotel that takes everything up before time. I stay at a ton of different Marriott's and this by far was the worse and never will return. Just had come from Las Vegas and Orange County, CA and those hotels were supeior, and definitely put this hotel to shame.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank llee4bama
RD5869, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

The hotel aims to consistently deliver professional service to our customers and I would like to state that on this occasion the level you received was unacceptable and your feedback will be invaluable towards improving our level of service.

Reviewed November 11, 2010

Very comfortable studio rooms, brand new gym, nice breakfast and pool - nothing else to with for! Mega friendly staff - so I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
RD5869, General Manager at Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2011

Thank you so much for staying with us!

Reviewed October 29, 2010

This hotel is very nice.
Very new building, downtown uab area. Great rooms, clean, modern look.
A nice pool, nice workout rooms, and good location.

Only problem for me is parking the rental car.
I have to drive to the client and valet parking is something like $15 everyday each time you take out the car.

If wasn't for the parking issues, I would stay there more often.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank xento

We are delighted that you liked our hotel! In order to serve you better, we now offer self parking for our guests. We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed October 20, 2010

I have stayed at the Residence Inn on multiple occasions throughout the last year. Although the service inside the hotel was typically lacking it was clean and the valets/bell hops were always helpful. There were several instances where the valets went above and beyond to give me a 5 star experience. However, on my last visit the friendly guys outside were not there anymore. Not sure what happened but if you want my business bring back the guys that made your hotel worth visiting.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I must admit that when I was first told that I would be in a new market I was really concerned. I was very pleased that I selected this hotel. It was very refeshing to have a place that really felt like home. The rooms are very well setup and the staff is great always smiling. Whatever question I had they always had a great answer for me. I had plenty of options of things to do. I love this hotel and everyone I know that is headed to Birmingham I tell them about this hotel. Its my home alway from home. Thank you guys.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, and my loyalty is primarily due to the outstanding overall quality of Marriott hotels and resorts. This place, however, is a glaring exception.

I am a consultant so sometimes I travel to small towns that have dinky little motels, so I am not picky. Yet, Birmingham is NOT a "small town". There's no self parking here. You are FORCED to pay $15 for Valet. When we got to the room we immediately noticed a strong and permeating smell of urine which we traced to the restroom. There was nothing we could do to get the urine smell out. We called the front desk and they said they were sold out (which I found out to be a lie the next morning). The lady at the desk was just too lazy. The security guard who worked at night was extremely helpful and friendly and proactive. He was always ready to escort at night...because he needed to! This area constantly has sirens all night long. The breakfast here has only very powdery imitation scrambled eggs and fried frozen potatoes. No pancakes or waffles. They weren't just out of them. They don't serve it. Every other Marriott Residence Inn does. I will definitely not stop at this Residence Inn ever again and do not recommend anyone else stay there either.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Shibli Z
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I spent one night in Birmingham, and fortunately, it was at the Residence Inn, which I booked through Priceline. The room was quite nice and clean. We also headed to the pool, which was very nice and relaxing. The free breakfast buffet was very good and included oatmeal with fixin's, and country ham. The staff was also very pleasant. When I mentioned that the coffee had run out, the lady in charge actually brought a cup to me while the coffee brewed. That's southern hospitality! I will definitely return to this hotel whenever I visit the "Magic City" again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple