“NOT happy with the room or the customer service. Bad Hilton family experience.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I booked a suite at this hotel, so that my wife and 3 kids (boys ages 6,4 and 2) could all stay in one suite, allowing my older 2 boys to sleep together on the sleeper sofa in the den. I had scheduled my on-line check-in for 10 pm. 5 days later, I arrived at the hotel at 10:30 pm and was informed they had overbooked, and were going to put us up in a Holiday Inn Express down the street and would "cover my charges." I have been a HHonors Gold/Diamond member for the last 7 years and have never had this happen. I used points for my room and selected this hotel over the Homewood Suites in the area, because on-line it appeared to be nicer. The room they offered had the HI was a one room with 2 queen or double-sized beds. I told them that would not be acceptable. After waiting about 20 minutes in the foyer, at now 11 pm (with my 3 kids who were about 2 hours past bed-time) I was offered a smoking room. We reluctantly took the room, only to regret our decision when we opened the room to the "ozone machine" that was running and a bottle of air freshener to be used, both to freshen the room up. The smell made my wife and 2 year old nauseated. The couch had cigarette burns and just looked nasty. I was told I would receive half off my points back (which I have yet to see, but it's only been a week). My biggest disappointment is that I was never informed prior to my arrival that my room was no longer available. I would have not had a problem booking somewhere else had I been properly informed.

Room Tip: Call before you arrive and make sure you still have a room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank david21177
ESHoover, Exec Admin at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

david21177,

Thank you for choosing the Embassy Suites for your most recent stay and for taking the time to give us your feedback. We apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. As an Embassy Suites, we have higher standards and expectations than most hotels, so we were not happy to hear that you did not receive the level of service you expected and deserved. We are also currently ranked #8 out of 210 Embassy Suites in the Americas, so again, we have very high expectations and standards.

Mrs. Brooks has informed me that you spoke with her today and were able to resolve the matter. We hope you will return soon and allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations next time!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My child's high school marching band stayed here one night while we attended a football game and a marching contest in Hoover. They were able to handle a large group of 200+ students and parents. They had parking available to accomodate our 4 charter buses and 2 equipment trucks. The included breakfast was very good and they were able to handle all those teenagers who eat like bottomless pits. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Jeffyt,

We remember your group very well and were delighted to have you join us! Thank you for your kind review, and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are happy to hear the group took full advantage of our hot buffet breakfast and cooked-to-order omelet station. Our breakfast has something to offer everyone! Our cleanliness and accommodating staff are things we pride ourselves on and are happy to hear you took note of them.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We were traveling and needed a place to spend the night. We got the last room available in this huge hotel. Our room was a lovely 2 bed queen suite with a seperate living area that had a pull out sofa sleeper and kitchenette. The breakfast was delicious and is included with the stay at this hotel. Huge buffet which includes a custom omelet bar. The only thing disappointing was the small pool and the fact it didn't open till 10am. So the kids didn't get their swim in as we needed to be leaving around 10. We would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012
ESHoover, Exec Admin at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Becky D,

Thank you for your review and feedback! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our complimentary buffet breakfast and cooked-to-order omelet station are among our guests' favorite amenities, and we are glad to hear you took full advantage of those.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I recently spent two weeks in the Birmingham/Hoover area. This hotel made my time away from home much more pleasant. The staff were friendly and the accommodations were very nice. The room was spacious and comfortable. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have found in my travels, so I slept well each night. The satellite TV reception in the room was kinda wonky, but I didn't spend much time there awake. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub and free garage parking. Every day there is a manager's reception from 5:30 to 7:30 with free snacks and bar drinks. Tessa, the bar waitress made sure my group and I received great service and care any time she was on duty. Breakfast was free every morning with a small buffet and made to order omelettes. Overall my stay was quite nice. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The hallways are quite long, so if you have trouble walking, try to book a room close to the elevato...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ESHoover, Exec Admin at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

DaLaR1,

Thank you so much for your kind review and feedback! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your lenghty stay with us and found everything to be very accommodating and pleasant.

You definitely hit on some of our most popular amenities: complimentary buffet breakfast each morning with a cooked-to-order omelet station, complimentary manager's reception with free snacks, house cocktails, house wine, and draft beer, a heated indoor pool, and ample parking. We also provide free Wi-Fi access, a 24 hour business center, a 24 hour fitness center, a local shuttle, and a restaurant on site!

Thank you for your comments on Tessa, one of our best servers. She is a new member of our team, and we are happy to hear her hardwork is being noted.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Part of a large group and had not heard of anyone else experiencing this.

Got in our room around 10:30p and the theromstat showed a temp of 61 degrees. After running for an hour the HVAC had only gotten the room up to 66. Called desk and was told a maintenance person would be up. 20 minutes later re-called the desk and was told a maintenance person would be up and for me to turn the thermostat fan to low. 20 minutes later the room was up to 67 so went to the desk. Was moved to another room at 12:30a and its temp was 54. The HAVC ran most of the night before the room got comfortable.

The issue may have been operator error on my end but no one showed up to verify if it was or was not me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
ESHoover, Exec Admin at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

JohnMac52,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable in your original room and had to be moved late in the night. This review will be shared with managers and appropriate departments to avoid this problem moving forward.

We hope you will come back to see us and allow us another chance to wow you!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We (2 preteen kids and myself, meeting my UA student daughter) arrived in Birmingham in time for dinner, then on to the hotel. I thought I'd booked a room with two double beds but the clerk politely said no, they had us down for a king room - not suggesting he was wrong BTW, couldn't remember!). I told him we'd make the king work, no problem. He looked at the screen for a few minutes, then handed us a key to one of their large two bedroom suites! It was WONDERFUL, allowed us to stretch out and all sleep soundly. Breakfast was delicious too. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ESHoover, Exec Admin at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Carrie Z,

Thank you so much for your review and feedback! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, our rooms, and our service!

Sounds like you were placed in our 2 Bedroom Executive Suite, which is one of our most spacious accommodations! Our breakfast is definitely something to rave about as well! We provide a full, hot buffet breakfast with a cooked-to-order omelet station each morning.

We can't wait to have you back soon!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was looking for a venue for my wedding reception and after being told this place was affordable I met with the event coordinator (Theresa) who was very nice and the reason I ultimately decided to use this venue. I also want it to be noted that they add at least 30% tax to EVERYTHING! She informed me that there was a wedding taking place the night before so any rehearsal I wanted to do would have to take place the morning of. Fair enough. Through out the weeks leading up to the event she was not easy to get a hold of directly. Once I called and left a voicemail she would call me back at the end of the day. My questions were only answered partially through emails. One mistake I made was not clarifying with her what time she would be there the day of my wedding. I did however clarify with her what time the room would be ready and I was told by 10:00am. My wedding was at 4pm. That would give me plenty of time to do the rehearsal and start setting up. Well my bridal party, relatives in town to help and the preacher were all there at 10:00am only to find the room was a disaster from the wedding the previous night. They had not cleaned up anything yet. Needless to say I was annoyed and was looking for Theresa who no one could get a hold of. So we ended up having to do a quick rehearsal in the hallway :( Not only was my room not ready at 10am they didnt finish cleaning and setting up until an hour before my wedding. Thats also when Theresa finally showed up. She did help with small things and added two people for me at the last minute but overall I was annoyed. Even the guy who did my lighting, who has worked several events said "This is highly unorganized for the Embassy Suites" I kind of felt that my wedding was not as important as the wedding that took place the previous night. Now I can say that the servers were great and the food was good. The hotel rooms are very nice and the included breakfest was a plus. I would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay. I would not recommned this place for your events, besides the obvious reasons, with the amount of money you pay in taxes, you could get a lot more at another venue. Not to mention being a silver member and the fact that I had my wedding there you would think they would allow me to have a late check out the next morning. NOPE! I also have emailed Theresa twice about receiving my points for the event and have yet to see them :(

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jae H
ESHoover, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Jae H,

First, let me thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I would like to address your concern regarding the service charge and tax. While we are empathetic with the charge, it is a standard charge throughout the hotel industry and our combined charges are some of the lowest in the market.

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserved for your big day. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and each guest that visits our hotel is very special to us, and we find it an honor to be a part of their special day.

Your meeting planner points have been applied and can take up to 4 weeks to show on your statement, so be on the lookout for the points. They will be located at the bottom of your statement under bonus points.

We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and have shared your experience with the team so that we may work to do better moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us, and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your experience further. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to speaking with you.

Ashley Fox
Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Lakeshore Drive
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park
Birmingham Marriott
Birmingham Marriott
#25 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover? Share your experiences!