“Great stay at a great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #34 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
“Great stay at a great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is the first hotel review I have written, and I have stayed in a lot of places! I am pretty picky and I totally loved this hotel. Clean, convenient, great shower, big rooms, nice breakfast. Will stay again!

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris N, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
To Our First time Review Writer,

"insert applause" fantastic review! Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor and we are more than happy to be your first of possibly many reviews! While I must say i am glad that you are picky, and that we not only met, but also exceeded your standards! We are looking forward to seeing you in BirmINgham again!

Chris Nelson and the Entire SpringHill Suites Staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here since it was the closest Marriott to the start line (Boutwell Auditorium) for the Mercedes Marathon...it's 1.2miles away and thought we would walk to the start line, but then the temperature dropped to 18 degrees and we decided to drive it instead. We asked if the comp shuttle could take us down, but was told the shuttle only runs 8am-8pm on Sunday mornings...kinda screws anyone who has an early Sun flight, I guess? Or they just didn't want to accommodate us...they also didn't have hardly any food out at 615am for us marathoners--the staffer toasted up some bagels for us and had fresh fruit, muffins, and coffee out but nothing else....come on--they knew they were going to have a ton of runners wanting bfast in their hotel--they could have accommodated us better! I've seen other hotels advertise that bfast wasn't starting till later on the weekends, but then they put the food out early anyways for the early-risers....just sayin'

Other than those small greivances, the room was large, clean and very modern--enjoyed the swivel tv to watch in bed or on sofa...not much of a view--just of the other bldg, but we were hardly in the room to care...except at 230am when a car alarm went off...another plus w/this hotel was the non-slamming doors--it was nice not to be woken up by that!

Overall, the hotel had what we needed to survive for one night--microwave, microfridge, free parking (on street), clean rooms/bathrooms...I would stay here again, but would not depend on the staff to make many exceptions to their policies.

Room Tip: if you want a view, go with an even room...also bring your own pillow if you like softer pillows!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chris N, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
To our Marathon Runners,

I want to take the time to apologize to you all for not meeting all of your needs while staying with us, While we did attempt to do our best by providing quick grab and go breakfast, fruit, and water, we hate that for those wanting a full sit down breakfast it wasn't to your liking. Our Shuttle unfortunately was not being operated on Sunday morning, and in retro spect I wish we would have planned to take you to the start line, however we didn't and this was an undersite on our part. We hope that the next race you attend in Birmingham you will consider us and I can assure you, we will more than WOW you next time!

Hoping we meet again!

Chris Nelson and the SpringHill Suites Staff!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

The hotel is very clean and the staff could not be nicer. However this is a business hotel or a place to stay while getting treatment at the UAB medical center. It is not stylish or upscale. We had a view of the windows of the building next door.
The free breakfast was worth what you paid for it and was barely edible. It does a good job of providing basic and clean place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
To our destinatino seekers,

I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and wanted to assure you that while Birmingham is not currently a destination city, their are a lot of things in the Pipline for Downtown Birmingham! A new Barons baseball stadium, entertainment district, and several new museums including a Black Baseball hall of Fame! WE are excited about the future of Birmingham and were we are headed. While It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us, we do want to let everyone know that we offer a hot buffet breakfast at no charge, with do it yourself waffles, fresh fruit, bagels, bacon, sausage, biscuits, cereals and more. We Hope to see you again!

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Staff!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip. The staff was friendly, the room was great (I love the suite set up) and the complimentary morning breakfast was just what I needed. This was my first stay at this Springhill Suites and I am sure I will be back. Thanks for the great service.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris N, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
To our busy business travelers:

Thank you all for staying with us and let me be the first ot announce to all of you: Starting Monday we will have our Liquor License and will begin serving drinks in the evening, to go with our 24 hour food service!!! We hope to see you soon!

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Downtown Birmingham @ UAB Staff
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites for one night while attending a conference in Birmingham.
Check-in was easy, professional and friendly. We were randomly upgraded and ended up in an Executive King Suite. We got a great group rate of $99 a night.
The room was amazing! It looked clean (although the bathroom garbage hadn't been emptied). There is a king bedroom, full bathroom, living area with a great wrap around couch and a conference area/dining room. In addition there were two flat screen TVs.
In my opinion, the bed was not comfortable. The mattress was hard and I think a pillow top mattress pad would have made the bed much better. Regardless, I had a good night sleep. The hotel was quiet and I didn't hear any other guests.
We were leaving early in the morning, so we decided to check out the free breakfast. Very impressive for a free hotel breakfast. In addition to bagels, pastries and cereal, there were fresh made waffles, eggs and sausage.
My only complaint was the parking. There is a parking deck next door, which was fine, but an optional valet would be nice. It was inconvenient to pull up front to the 30 minute parking , check-in, drop off the luggage and then have to return to move the car. Right before we checked out there was a mini power outage. When we went to leave 30 minutes later, we couldn't get out of the parking deck because the system had gone off-line. When we reported it to the front desk, they said all they could do was re-set the system and hopefully it would work. It was a very apathetic response. They could have sent someone back with us to manually let us out. Instead we were told to "just wait".
Other than the parking, the stay was wonderful. I would return, but if I find another hotel in downtown Birmingham that has an attached deck or valet, I might choose there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
To our Conference Atendees:

I am so glad that your overall stay was enjoyable but regret that the parking deck was a headache for you. While we try our best to make everyones arrival, check in, and departure go smoothly sometimes we hit kinks that are out of our control. Unfortunately the parking deck is one of those items. The city of Birmingham is in control of the deck and allow us to use it and when they ahve an issue with a gate, or ticket reader it can be a hassle. While it doesn't happen consistently or regularly we do want all our guests to know we will do our best to make it right. Thank you for your review!

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Downtown Birmingham Staff!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I go to Birmingham quite a lot for concerts and will stay at this hotel from now on. The lobby was beautiful, and the room was unbelievable. The staff was more than helpful and wonderful to deal with. The room was one of the prettiest rooms I've ever stayed in, and I travel quite a lot. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chris N, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
To our concert going friend from Atlanta,

Thanks you so much for shooting down I-20 to come visit Birmingham, we have a ton of stuff going on in 2012 and look forward to a great year in music, food, and fun! Be sure to give us a call when you get ready to head back in.

PS I'm glad you like the new paint scheme in the rooms!

Chris Nelson and the entire Springhill Suites Staff!
Director of Sales
Sneads
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

SpringHill Suites is my preference when traveling to Birmingham for business purposes. The service is exceptional and everyone goes above and beyond to ensure your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. Once meals are available by means of room service, the stay will be even more enjoyable and relaxing. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. A definite first choice!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
To our Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor, we look forward to seeing you again, and we will be looking into possibly adding room service, at this time we do not offer it however we do have food services available in the lobby 24 hours a day. See you again soon!

Chris Nelson and the entire Springhill Suites staff!
Director of Sales