“Lack of atmosphere”
Review of Cafe de Paris - CLOSED

Cafe de Paris
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Lack of atmosphere”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We went here with another couple because of a groupon. They stayed true to their word and allowed us to use it on anything on the menu. Our waiter, Gary, was very sweet and kind. Food was subpar. They had run out of a few things and this was at 7 on a Friday night. They also do not carry domestic beer, which is fine, but then don't carry a lot of other beers either. I am still troubled as to why It was almost empty when we arrived and left on a Friday night. I am not a real picky person when it comes to dinning, but atmosphere and taste wise, I am sorry to say I was disappointed.

• Visited June 2013

Irvington, Alabama
“A bit pricey, but excellant Meal”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I must say that when we
walked into Cafe de Paris-> at 1st I thought I may be in wrong place, as the restaurant decor & ambiance didn't seem to match the advance reputation I had expected from website. However, my wife & I had thoroughly enjoyable and superb meal. mussels were excellent, fried goat cheese salad was well appointed, ingredients fresh, portions generous: crab cakes, coucous, duck was superb, apple tart soaked in Gran Mariner hit the spot for dessert, only complaint-> salad was on iceberg bed rather than romaine as menu described.

• Visited May 2013
Gardendale, Alabama
“I was disappointed”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I had been anticipating visiting Cafe de Paris for some time and finally went for our anniversary. Sadly I was disappointed. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly. The menu was uninspired and, in some cases, just strange. Where was the quiche? Where were the lovely waffles with fruit topping? How about a choice of omelets with, perhaps, fresh steamed asparagus? The decor was dark and depressing. The door to the kitchen badly needed cleaning. We ordered the chicken and cheese crepes, which were very good. The "homemade" bread was very good also. The deserts were good too - bread pudding and chocolate molten cake. Overall, the experience was average and we won't go out of our way to return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank NancyG2
Birmingham, Alabama
“Becoming my best happy hour spot”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Café de Paris has a great happy hour menu and live music on Friday. I’ve go for the last three weeks, love the wings and the drinks are delicious. It’s a great place to be and I’m becoming such a regular the bartender is starting to recognize me. The place has great food, drinks, and service; I recommend it.

• Visited April 2013
New Hampshire
“French Enough for Birmingham?”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've had and cooked my fair share of authentic French cuisine, and I have to say that our Easter brunch was not at all haute cuisine and that Birmingham deserves much better. However, after reading the other reviews below (and I hope this doesn't sound mean) perhaps most people in Birmingham don't know the difference.

My mother-son Easter brunch was unimpressive as a whole. However, there were some elements of it that were palatable – just barely. I ordered Eggs Benedict which was the best the table received that day. The eggs were well poached, the hollandaise was tasty (although I am suspicious that it was a canned variety) and the English muffin was passable, but soggy. The portion size was fine. It contributed to my daily caloric intake, but was really nothing more than that.

My mother ordered an omelet. It was overcooked and dry. Served with the omelet was a damp mess of a salad, made with iceberg lettuce. It also was accompanied by some burnt potatoes, the sort of which you would expect to find at Denny's.

Additionally, the restaurant needs to serve fresh bread and butter. The bread we received was stale and the butter was hard and tasted as if had been sitting uncovered in the refrigerator for several days. I would have never served it at home. There is nothing more French than a good fresh baguette served with tasty whipped butter.

Finally, we shared a dessert which was so unimpressive that I can’t even recall what it was. However, the thing that stuck out about dessert was the dessert tray they used for the sale. The desserts on the tray were at least two days old, browned, and generally rancid looking.
The waiter was polite and attentive, but a bit goofy as if he fell off the turnip truck. He needs training. Again, I expected more from this restaurant, but perhaps I shouldn’t have.

PS: The bathrooms were dirty.

PPS: When walking from the bathroom to your table, do your best to avoid looking in the filthy kitchen or making eye contact with the untrained chefs.

PPPS: If you’re an investor in this place, seek an exit strategy now.

• Visited March 2013