“For Buisness”

Ramada Birmingham Airport
Ranked #61 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 25, 2009

So I stayed here for a conference and have to say I was very pleased. This Clarion Hotel had a great staff(from when I made my reservation and when I checked-in and checked-out). It's silly, but those whom travel know that a staff can make or break a hotel stay. This one would very good.

But they weren't deal breakers. The room itself was nice. It had all the amenities that we've come to expect. Writing Desk/Executive Chair/Sofa. Good bathrooms with a mirror/small vanity outside of the bathroom so others can finish up getting ready.

Only two minuses. Bed was so-so. Shower head wasn't adjustable enough and so I hit my head on it a few times. But really, none of that was bad. Shower pressure/water was good/hot.

Really, this comes very close for me to rate it the five stars. But I'm going to hold back, because well, I think everything ought to be extraordinary for five stars. But it came close enough to where I would reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 23, 2008

I had no reservation and the hotel was just blocks from the airport. I arrived by cab into the hotel parking lot and noticed the lot was very empty so I knew they should have plenty of rooms available and they did. I was checked in by a very rude desk clerk. I also noticed a very strange smell in the lobby registration area that's adjacent to the restaurant. It smelled strongly like (Curry?). The smell was overwhelming! I had to haggle with the desk clerk over the room rate, we started out with a standard, average room with a rate of $98 and she continued to drop the rate everytime I told her I need a room or room rate that was less. We ended the rate negotiation with $49.99 after playing this back and forth game for about 20 minutes for the same room. WOW! I'm glad I haggled with her or I would have paid $98. At the end of my stay there I realized that $49.99 was highway robbery for this hotel.

The Good Part:

Hotel is only a few blocks from BHM Airport. That's the only thing good that I can say.

The Bad Part:

There were ladies of the night walking up and down the hallways randomly knocking on doors, including mine. I complained to the front desk and their response was of little concern. I started to call the police but changed my mine. Also, old cars driving through the parking lot at 1AM blasting BOOM BOOM BOOM music that you can hear from your bed.

The staff was Rude Rude Rude (Front Desk, Housekeeping, Breakfast Staff and Maintenance People). Also, I noticed the owners happened to be there the next day. I asked one of the hotel employees who they were? The employee responded sarcastically, while rolling their eyes "Our wonderful ownership group". They were walking around ordering some of staff around. This was almost to the point of yelling at one of the maintenance employees. I would probably be a rude and disgruntled employee too if my employers disrespected me and talked to me the way they do theirs. Not taking into account that these “Verbal Reprimands” are conducted in the presence of the hotel guests.

The breakfast food was just down right nasty. Cold items were warm and hot items on the breakfast were cold, hard and over heated and then left to be eaten cold. Eggs looked as if they were cooked yesterday and reheated. Breakfast area was dirty and unattended.

It’s obvious that the ownership spent a lot of money renovating the hotel, but the actual construction of the installation itself looked as if not a very good job was done. The final finished product seemed as if it was just "Thrown Together".

Worst of all was my nasty unclean sleeping room. Bugs (Including roaches in my bed linens). Bugs in the bathtub and bathroom floor. Toilet ran all night. Carpet had ripples in it (I guess back to the bad construction and installation). Carpet was stained and very dirty in my room and throughout the entire building (Corridors, restaurant and other public areas). The tile in lobby was probably beautiful at one time, but nasty and dirty now. Dust everywhere and my allergies went haywire the entire night I was there.

After personally witnessing the ownership of this hotel treat their staff horribly, this probably defines where a lot of their problems stem from. I saw this disrespectful and unprofessional treatment to their staff with my own eyes, not to mention the other guests in the area saw it as well. Also, it’s obvious that Non-qualified people did the construction and installation of the “Renovation”.

I will never stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2007

Do not stay here if you can avoid it. My company puts me up here all too often and it is never okay. A dangerous neighborhood, bugs , and linens that are not clean are a few of my encounters. There is also safety issues with the locking devices on the doors and windows.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank celeste652
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I was here on business for a total of 4 nights as the Sheraton lost my reservation for this trip. I thought the property was okay (not outstanding) but okay. I have stayed in much nicer Hotels...and have also stayed in much worse in the same star level.

The good:

The room size was okay for 1 person, It had a king size bed, A TV with many channels, a Couch, a Coffee Table, and the lighting was decent. It also had a mini refrigerator and micro and the Wi-Fi worked great! It was all very clean and had no holes in the walls or stains in the carpet that I can remember.

The very best part of this motel was the free transportation. They are very, very close to the airport and when I called for a pick up they were there in less than 5 minutes every time. The drivers were very nice and professional as well.

The Bad:

The front desk always seemed to be a little busy and it seems like I was always waiting in line for a bit when I had to speak to them. They were very nice but maybe a little on the slow side.

The free breakfast was not that great but would do in a emergency. The hot food was cold and the cold food was room temperature. Everything tasted like it came out of a box including the eggs.

The bottom line:

If your looking for a clean, comfortable place to rest your head at night than I would reccomend The Best Western Birmingham Hotel. If your picky and want a lot of service than stay in the Sheraton Birmingham and pay $100 bucks more a night.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We recently stayed at this property and had a fantastic time. The rooms featured nice decor with an oversize bed, best night of sleep in quite some time. From the moment we walked into the property, the staff went out of their way to make us feel like we were home. We were in town for a motorcycle convention, but they treated us like we were on our Honeymoon! They never stopped going the extra mile. I would recommend this location to all. Don't forget to eat in the restaurant - the menu is awesome!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank GozertheTraveler
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Start to "almost-finish", this place was absolutely horrible! I say "almost-finish" because my colleague and I didn't stay a second night as scheduled. The most succinct way to describe our stay is to list the issues we encountered. They are as follows:
- The first room I was given was already occupied, and upon entering I startled and woke an airline employee (female) who was catching up on sleep. Very embarrassing.
- The second room I was given had two beds. Removing the pillows, and turning down the corner of the sheets on one bed, I found a significant amount of hair and dandruff - nasty!
- Ants in the room! (More than just a few - and I was on the 4th floor)
- My first experience with a cockroach - not pleasant (I know this is the South, but I would have rather stayed in the South Bronx, NY on this night.
- The carpets in my room and basically everywhere else in the hotel were disgusting, with stains everywhere.
- The thermostat on the air conditioner in my room was broken, so the only options were ON (freezing) or OFF (hot).
- The television remote worked OK for channel changing, but the volume control didn't work. And my colleague had a television that randomly switched channels on him to 00.
- My colleague also had dirty carpets in his room, along with dried pee on the toilet seat. Separately, his room key didn't work in the evening, after having worked earlier.
- The breakfast was nasty - the "buffet" just looked dirty and old. Well, indeed it was old, as both yogurts my colleague and I grabbed, had expired dates. Also, the eggs tasted of chemicals.
- To top it all off, the meeting room we used had dirty table clothes and carpets - I guess they were being consistent

Were we on candid camera or something? Do yourself a favor and don't even consider staying at this place!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank reasonablehuman
A TripAdvisor Member
New Orleans
Reviewed May 6, 2006

A place to wander what they mean by grand re-opening. We found the carpet stained and loose wall paper everywhere. The elevator made obnoxious noises and was scary to use. The breakfast was sorry. It was the worst of our 7 day vacation of all the hotels we stayed at. Coffee was the only good thing but u had to keep asking for more because they could not afford to put it out. This is listed as a four point Sheraton it was more like a two point with a four point price. Staff was nice and pleasant was the good thing of the stay here. Wife and I would not go back again.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Airport
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#55 of 80 in Birmingham
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
La Quinta Inn Birmingham / Cahaba Park South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites

Been to Ramada Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!