“Disappointed - Is this lipstick on a pig?”

Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Ranked #8 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Huntsville, Alabama, Usa
“Disappointed - Is this lipstick on a pig?”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I just returned from a leisure trip to the Hyatt Regency Wynfrey. I travel quite a bit leisurely and for business. My wife and I have stayed at this property before when it was the original Wynfrey Hotel and absolutely loved it's appointments and convenience.

The newly renovated hotel is very nicely appointed as well and lobby, hallways, and most other areas are very nice. However, this is where it stops. I must register my disappointment with my room (#1231). This morning (12/14/13) I was only able to take a slightly lukewarm shower at approximately 6:00a. It appears the $20 million renovation did not include HOT water. After about 10 minutes of trying to shower while freezing, the water suddenly became HOT. I know this hotel was only about 65% occupied so I can't believe that it just ran out of the hot water to have it return suddenly. It appears to me that not all equipment or infrastructure was appropriately included in it's renovations. It's a real shame that my first trip back to the Wynfrey in years turned out to be such a disappointment.

I mentioned this to the front desk agent and the response was a nonchalant "sorry about that". I also mentioned that I was disappointed and this statement was met with no response. My total tab for hotel and restaurants was $270 and now I feel I certainly didn't receive a $270 experience. Their website states "You'll love our well-appointed, over-sized suites....". One must question the sincerity of this statement considering the infrastructure and service attitude of the front desk.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B D
Dominic B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for visiting Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. There is no excuse for not having Hot Water and for our staff not to address the issues after you told them of your experience. We strive to Exceed our guests expectations and in your case we failed. Please call the hotel and ask for the General Manager and I will speak with you directly about your incident if you prefer. You are important to me and we would love the opportunity to earn back your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel billed me for two nights for a one night stay. I had asked to stay a second night but was told the hotel was sold out so I changed hotels for the second night. When i received my Amex bill I saw that I was billed for two nights. I call the hotel and was asked to email my proof. I submitted my confirmation and the bill left under my door for one night along with my bill at the second hotel. My email was ignored as was my follow up email. Three days after I disputed the the transaction with Amex and weeks after my original email the hotel advised me that they would look into it. They contacted me later that day to agree with me and to say "sorry for the delay in responding". If it weren't for American Express I would still be waiting to hear back from the hotel. Pretty pathetic customer service. Hyatt should not be impressed?

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel. I want to apologize about the billing error and I am embarrassed that my team did not respond back to you in an efficient manner. I have addressed this with my staff. We want to exceed guests expectations and I am truly sorry that we fell short. I am confident that this was an isolated circumstance. Your business is important to me. Thank you for your feedback, which will certainly help us in for future guests.
Hoover
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Thank You Valet Rod and General Manager Andy Peters for Great Accommodations and Service at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The @Wynfrey Hotel last week! As always, your Courtesies and Transportation Assists were Recognized and Appreciated! Hey, Great Shine by Ronnie, too! @TripAdvisor

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Poquoson, Virginia
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Definitely a good experience staying at this hotel for the convention. Rooms are comfortable, clean, and accommodate all your needs as a business traveler. The nice views are a bonus. Personnel are friendly and helpful. Great service offering airport transportation. Location next to this huge mall is a big plus for both dining and shopping. The only negative is the rooms are a bit pricey if you are on a limited budget. I found out there are varying rates and mine happened to be one of the highest. Perhaps this is because I was attending a professional convention. It was a very enjoyable stay overall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My friends and I were in town for a wedding being held at the Wynfrey hotel. We stayed Friday and Saturday night and I was happy the hotel was reasonably priced ($150 per night with hotel taxes included) since I spent $$$ on my plane ticket to Birmingham. The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and the shuttle runs every hour. Make sure to call ahead to let them know your arrival time so the shuttle driver can expect you. A taxi from the airport to the hotel costs $40-50 so that was a nice benefit since we didn’t rent a car. The hotel is attached to a mall. We went to the mall for Starbucks and to get our hair done at the Regis salon for the wedding.

Service: The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They called us cabs to the Civil Rights Museum and the Rehearsal Dinner. On Sunday, they gave moved our checkout from 11AM to noon since our flights were later that evening. We appreciated the extra hour to pack after brunch.

Rooms: We had a room with two queen beds. The beds and the pillows were very, very comfortable. We all had a good night’s rest. The shower had nice water pressure and the bath products were fine. The bathrooms have a lot of counter space with double sinks that allowed three ladies to easily get ready. There was also a regular sized hair dryer, which was a nice upgrade from the typical mini-dryers that are in hotel rooms. The ipod docking station was new. Overall, the room was clean and comfortable and perfect for our stay as the wedding was held at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Travel often for work, mostly LA, SF and Europe - used to big name hotels in big cities where the standard of luxury is high. I've come to expect a lot from Hyatt Regency, but in Birmingham where the nightly rate is around $140? The bar was set a little lower.

That said, my experience met expectations. The rooms were spacious with nice amenities like a large TV, an updated alarm / speaker for iPhone 5 (even many Ws don't have this), and nice-sized bathroom and shower. The service was friendly and helpful - offering up local restaurant recommendations and ordering a cab when necessary. Another strength of the property is convenience - the ability to pop into a mall meant a close Starbucks, Chik-Fil-A and a number of options in case you forgot a pair of dress socks.

The real triumph of the property is how reasonable it. I know it might be a lot relatively speaking but a Hyatt Regency for under $150 is great and other things followed-suit, like overnight parking being only $10 a night.

A few things to consider:

- Again, our bathroom was nice - spacious, decent water pressure - but smelled a bit (which is never pleasant) and had 2 rolls of toilet paper about two-thirds used when we arrived (strong believer that rooms should be fully stocked upon arrival.)
- Small thing, but there were zero hooks in or around the bathroom to hang your towel.
- It's impossible to present yourself as a first class, luxury hotel when you're attached to a mall.
- Continuing with the above line of thinking, the space lacks the sort of Southern Charm that you might be looking for if you're there on a vacation or visit - probably bed and breakfasts or other boutique hotels that can better serve this up.

If you're in town for business or a wedding at the hotel this is a great option. And if you collect Hyatt points, you'll be surprised by how reasonable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
haleyville
Reviewed November 10, 2013

When we got to the hotel on Friday afternoon around 5:00, they were very busy because they had people coming in for the Alabama football game, so the front desk was not very nice, they were in a hurry. After getting to the room I was shocked. After a remodel, looks like they would check out the rooms. There was paint all over the shower walls and also all over the floor. I'm not talking about a few speckle, there was a dry puddle in the bathroom. The carpet was nasty. There was also hairs all in the bathroom sick and on the counter.The handle on the commode was broke and you couldn't flush it. We took pictures of it all with my phone and took it downstairs. The man at the desk, Oh, let me call housekeeping and tell them this isn't acceptable.I just wonder how they missed all the paint originally, dirty carpet, broke commode and hair all over the sick. The man said, I will give you club access for your problem and having to move rooms, after you have unpacked. I told him I already had club access, he said, Oh and that was it. When I started to go to the club level later, low and behold my keys wouldn't give me access. I travel a lot and for a million dollar make over, I was quite shocked at the level of workman's ship that was in these rooms. All around disappointing. I will spend my money somewhere else next time. I was excited about having a nice hotel right in the mall. I usually stay in Birmingham a few weekends a month. But obviously, with their attitude about things, like they are better than other hotels, I will not stay. I also have friends that come to Birmingham all the time, I will let them know also.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AndyPeters, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
To our guest from Haleyville;

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. We value our guest feedback and appreciate that you have taken some time to share it. I am very sorry for the service failures you experienced during your stay and am sorry we were not able to recover from them while you were with us. The goal of our team is to ensure every guest has a comfortable and productive stay, and we will continue to work hard to meet this goal. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to show you we can do it right.

SIncerely,