“Mafiaza's”

Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mafiaza's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Quite expensive for what you get. Food quality wasn't great for the price. Patio was nice. Probably would not revisit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank 697ameliam

Hoover
“Mafiaoza's Still Serves A Mighty Good Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I returned to Mafiaoza's in Mountain Brook (AL) this past Saturday night, and the pizza is every bit as good as it was the last time. We shared a large pie, adding just onions and mushrooms, and it really hit the spot. You get eight large slices, the crust is done right and the quality of the mozzarella cheese is high (I don't like parmigiana, romano, provolone or anything else on my pizza - be sure to tell them, because they normally mix provolone and mozzarella).

One of the things I really like about this restaurant is that they respect my kosher-style needs: they bake the pizza on a separate pan and ensure that no meat or shellfish products or residues touch it. They are also careful to clean the utensils - the reason I know is that you can see them prepare and bake the pies.

Also sampled a house solid prior to the pie, and it was a nice size, with lettuce, cuccumber, red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, etc. At something like $5.25 for the portion, it might be slightly high, but it was very fresh and larger than a typical side (but smaller than an entree-size).

It was $5 Cuervo Gold Margarita Night, and we sampled two each - they were good, and the request for extra lime and no salt came out right both times.

The pizza is not inexpensive here - you'll pay about $20 for the pie I described - but it was THAT GOOD, so I have no problem with paying more for much better quality than you'd get a national chain.

Our server (I have to apologize for forgetting her name) was very friendly, helpful and checked on us the right number of times (and the place was busy) throughout the meal. The owner was also on the premises, and he recognized me from my previous visit three months or more ago. There are plenty of TVs, so you can watch your favorite sports event, and the beer and wine menu is large and varied.

All told, Mafiaozo's makes a great pizza in a family atmosphere early and more of a bar scene later at night! This is a KEEPER!

• Visited January 2014
Hoover
“Great pizza, lots of tv's and two dozen local beers on tap make Mafiaozas a good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I've seen Mafiaozas from across the street many times, but never ventured in until last night, when a friend recommended it as the place to meet and watch football and the World Series. For a spoiled brat from NY, Boston and Philadelphia, pizza can be very dicey in the Deep South, so it was with some reluctance that I agreed.

Well, my friend Jordan was right: Mafiaozas makes a good pie, and you can get it any way you want it...but at first, it didn't seem that way. I eat in as kosher a style as possible, so my standard "line" to non-kosher places is that "I am allergic to pork products, shellfish and catfish." When I told the server this, she said she would check with the kitchen, but she douted they could accommodate me. Sure enough, when she returned, the answer was that all pizza is baked on the same oven "floor" as the pepperoni, sausage, meatball, etc. pizza - which made it off-limits for me,

That's where my friend Jordan stepped in, suggesting I check with chef just in case there was a way to make it - after all, I'd eaten pizza (cheese & veggies) in many other places, so there had to be a way. So, I headed to the back and met the manager (Jimmy). I explained the "allergies" and told him I'd had pizza at many places where they baked it on the metal serving trays that they put them on when the pizza was finished. He asked what kind I wanted (mushrooms & onions) and he said, "No problem. We can make it work."

Twenty minutes or so later, out came a really good 12-inch pie, smothered with onions and obviously fresh mushrooms (I subsequently found out that all of their veggies, other than the olives, are fresh). The crust was cooked properly - a bit crunchy, but not burnt, and the mozzarella cheese was a high quality (very little oil floating atop the pizza).

Meanwhile, I was sampling a locally-made beer (from Gadsden, AL, about 50 miles away) that tasted like a slightly "softer" (less bitter) version of Newcastle - very, very good and served in a pint "jar," nice and cold. The server was really pleased that my dietary needs were met - she did not "resent" my asking the manager for help, and in fact was glad to know that there was a way to make vegetarians happy.

I should mention that there are plenty of salads and pastas on the menu, but I was in a pizza mood - and I'm glad I was. You can create your own slices, so just about any palate will be satisfied at this family-friendly, but somewhat pricey, restaurant.

All told, this was a really good experience. The pie was about $15 and the beer was another $5, but I was really pleased - and with the mix of TVs in the right locations, I watched the World Series while my friend was more focused on the South Carolina @ Missouri football game.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nathan S
Birmingham, Alabama
“Nice break from pizza chains.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very local- I would recommend going on Tuesday or Thursday at this time. Tuesday is currently bogo slices and Thursday usually has music and local brew specials. I love that we can build our own slices, although be mindful of the nicer topping prices. Build your own antipasti is nice, and we will go back for a couple of slices and to try the dessert sampler.

• Visited September 2013
Birmingham
“Good Pizza but a Bit Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Enjoyed our first visit to Mafiaoza's. Good service and good pizza. BUT $30 for one large pizza with sausage, green pepper and mushrooms was a bit much.

• Visited August 2013