“Best Civil Rights Education Available!”

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Ranked #2 of 90 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic museum traces the journey of the civil rights advocates of the 1950s and 60s, who changed the course of American history. The struggle for equality for Black Americans is chronicled here, from the Jim Crow laws in the 1800s to the freedom rides, sit-ins and demonstrations of the 1960s.
Madison, Alabama
242 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 404 helpful votes
“Best Civil Rights Education Available!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

MLK Jr. B-Day, 2014 we drove down from Huntsville to do something special and educate ourselves. Upon arrival we found that many many others had the same idea, the place was growing an ever lengthening line. It turns out this day marked their new policy to be open for business on Mondays. It was also free of charge but with donations requested. Normally admission would have cost us $12 per person. I urge all travelers passing through Birmingham to stop in and learn, I rate it over the US Space and Rocket Museum in Huntsville in terms of historical significance to not just Alabama but the entire U.S. There was so much that I didn't know before my visit. The only area I found uninteresting was the art gallery of paintings and sculptures for sale, it simply wasn't anything I found visibly stimulating. I recommend this to all families who want to get through to their kids the impact that textbooks lack. This place is powerful. I found myself getting choked up over and over.

3 Thank kkibby43

• Korean first
Huntsville, Alabama
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“A Moving Tribute to City's Role in Civil Rights”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Do yourself a favor and go, if for no other reason to remind yourself of the heroic struggles of many to achieve racial progress in this country. Museum is nicely laid out with quality exhibits.

1 Thank Galooba
southeast
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Awesome place!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute is an awesome place for everyone, of every age group to visit. There are exhibits that offer visitors an insight on the history of civil rights with news clips, videos, realistic statues, etc that show some of the struggles and triumphs during the civil rights movement.
I HIGHLY recommend travelers, visitors, students, and everyone to visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.

NYC
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Superb”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I hate museums. I loved this place. I'd have to say this is one of my top 2 museums ever (other being the one in Memphis, coincidentally both Civil Rights museums!).

The displays are really well done, and a picture speaks 1,000 words. it's amazing that just 60 years ago people felt it acceptable to behave this way, treat people as inhuman, kill, fight, repress. I'm not saying we don't have a ways to go, but to think that this was not "abnormal" to see blacks as 2nd class "citizens" blows my mind. I wasn't alive then but my parents were teenagers then (in the north, so they didn't see this type of violence). Whether you're white, black, or other, it's hard not to get choked up in this museum, thinking what one race did to another and how cruel people can be.

This is one of the places in this country that I believe EVERYONE should see.

1 Thank rustymambo
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice Place!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were very impressed at the level of detail and information provided about the Civil Rights Era. It was set up like one long hallway timeline, which was nice because there was plenty to read on both sides of the wall, as well as interactive devices, videos, pictures, and more.