“Awesome place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birmingham Civil Rights Institute

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Ranked #2 of 88 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic museum traces the journey of the civil rights advocates of the 1950s and 60s, who changed the course of American history. The struggle for equality for Black Americans is chronicled here, from the Jim Crow laws in the 1800s to the freedom rides, sit-ins and demonstrations of the 1960s.
southeast
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Awesome place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute is an awesome place for everyone, of every age group to visit. There are exhibits that offer visitors an insight on the history of civil rights with news clips, videos, realistic statues, etc that show some of the struggles and triumphs during the civil rights movement.
I HIGHLY recommend travelers, visitors, students, and everyone to visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.

• Korean first
NYC
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I hate museums. I loved this place. I'd have to say this is one of my top 2 museums ever (other being the one in Memphis, coincidentally both Civil Rights museums!).

The displays are really well done, and a picture speaks 1,000 words. it's amazing that just 60 years ago people felt it acceptable to behave this way, treat people as inhuman, kill, fight, repress. I'm not saying we don't have a ways to go, but to think that this was not "abnormal" to see blacks as 2nd class "citizens" blows my mind. I wasn't alive then but my parents were teenagers then (in the north, so they didn't see this type of violence). Whether you're white, black, or other, it's hard not to get choked up in this museum, thinking what one race did to another and how cruel people can be.

This is one of the places in this country that I believe EVERYONE should see.

1 Thank rustymambo
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were very impressed at the level of detail and information provided about the Civil Rights Era. It was set up like one long hallway timeline, which was nice because there was plenty to read on both sides of the wall, as well as interactive devices, videos, pictures, and more.

Franklin, NC
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Touching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

The Civil Rights Museum was very respectfully and thoughtfully completed. The information, audio/video, and exhibits were all well done. The museum will touch your heart and challenge your perceptions of humanity.

In all, it took about two hours to tour. I will say it was almost empty, so if busier, it might take you longer. Also, if you go on a sunny day, the park across the street could add time to your venture. It was too cold for us to spend a lot of time there however.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank CoachJTL
Stillwater, Oklahoma
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A worth visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I went to the Civil Rights Institute in Birmingham last summer and I truly enjoyed it. It was really a great surprise visiting this museum. I learned a lot during the afternoon walking thru the great room displays. The staff was very helpful. I run out of time watching all the exhibitions. If you are in Birmingham I really recommend visiting. This Museum has a lot to teach to us.

Visited July 2013