“Moving memorial”

Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
Ranked #2 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic museum traces the journey of the civil rights advocates of the 1950s and 60s, who changed the course of American history. The struggle for equality for Black Americans is chronicled here, from the Jim Crow laws in the 1800s to the freedom rides, sit-ins and demonstrations of the 1960s.
Beijing
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Moving memorial”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The museum is very well done and a fitting memorial for the people that suffered for equal rights. The entire museum is pretty small and takes about 45 minutes to see in its entirety. The high points for me were the Maya Lin's water table memorial centerpiece in the front of the museum and the wall of tolerance inside - where you type your name in as a pledge against hatred and injustice. Your name appears randomly on the wall shortly after it enter. The man who took our tickets was also extremely knowledgeable.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank StuartJl

• Korean first
Charlotte, NC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best place to visit in Birmingham”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our trip to this museum. It is extremely well done. Being a history buff, I knew I would enjoy it, but I wasn't so sure about my husband. However, he also stated how much he had gained from our visit. You would not want to visit Birmingham without making a stop here. You will gain a new understanding and appreciation for all its residents have gone through.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Newson5
indpls
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“love it/very thought provoking”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My niece (16) and daughter (9) and I visited. We toured for about 2 hours. It brought tears to my eyes and the 16 yo several times. While my 9 yo enjoyed it and is familiar with age appropriate discussions on this subject, there were some exhibits that did scare her a bit, mostly the ones with auditory parts, not any visual. A make you think musuem and we would def go back. The staff were exceptional. Free parking.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank wam3k
Grand Haven, Michigan
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Exceptionally well done!”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stopped at the Civil Rights Institute with our four teens and were SO glad that we did! The exhibits were extremely well done and the video elements throughout made history come alive for all of us. The images captured in the photographs are moving and the signage is great as are the visuals of what life was like in the day. I will remember the diplay of the burned cross and the Ku Klux Klan robe for a long time into the future. Take time to check out the 16th St. church and the park across the street as well. For those travelling with little people there is a cute little playground right on the corner of the institute for them to play a while. This fabulously set the stage for us as we continued to Montgomery to see more of the civil rights historical sights there. We found it all to be exceptional!

Visited April 2011
1 Thank TheJohnsonClan
Houston, Texas
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The brochure & website for this museum do...”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

The brochure & website for this museum do not adequately describe the depth of the experience. I was concerned that it would be too cerebral for my children, but actually it was great for all members of our family. Our 10-year-old son really got a lot out out of it and had some challenging questions (why did children join the KKK? How come Obama is a Democrat when so many of the people who opposed desegregation were Democrats?) afterwards. The oral histories were very interesting, and the Freedom Rider exhibit was very moving and painful. I am from the NE and learned a lot about black society in the pre-Civil Rights era. We saw my Southern-raised father -in-law that evening and this visit sparked a great conversation between him and our son. Our 8-year-old daughter, it must be said, preferred the park with the vivid sculptures and tree from Anne Frank's house, just across the street.

3 Thank Maybeinerror