“Amazing!”
Review of Surin West

Surin West
Ranked #19 of 942 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Birmingham, Alabama
“Amazing!”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Surin is one of my favorites in the city! I have been eating here for years and we try and have dinner here at least once a month. Great atmosphere...great bar...and wonderful sushi! Our favorites are the spicy beef noodle, chicken massaman, and pad woon sen. Try the coconut soup. It is out of this world!
They also have a terrific dessert menu. Their creme brulee is one of the best in the city!

Birmingham, Alabama
“Untrained server made for poor experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We went to Surin West for dinner and had a very poor experience unfortunately all due to a waiter who had not been trained to interact with people or serve dinner. I ordered a beer first and when it arrived I had to ask for a glass as the waiter was walking away and then when he brought the glass, the waiter turned the entire beer bottle over into it so that it was half beer and half foam. He didn't seem to realize that this was not the correct way to pour a beer. I've never seen anything like it and I've been to a lot of restaurants and ordered a lot of beers. Several small things happened during the meal that I tolerated but the last thing the waiter did that pushed me over the edge was when he brought the check. I added a tip to my credit card slip and then put the restaurant copy and pen on the far side of the table closest to the wall and away from the edge of the table because I was not ready for the waiter to pick it up and as I was finishing my beer, the waiter came by and leaned on top of me to reach across the table to get the bill. I had to lean back to keep him from leaning on me. It was the rudest act I have ever encountered by a server, ever. I was stunned. I told the manager and he didn't seem to care. I won't be back.

1 Thank JM6213
New Orleans, Louisiana
“So perhaps the folks writing the good...”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

So perhaps the folks writing the good reviews have little experience with Sushi and Thai food but this place is average at best. I have been to two locations and had both sushi and a specialty item. The sushi was okay but not any better than a common supermarket brand which is pretty low in the world of good sushi. The meat in the other dishes I had was VERY bland and I would compare it to frozen chicken cooked in a microwave with no seasoning. In addition to all of this my glass ran empty and I had to ask for soy sauce. Save your time and money for a real Thai place this spot is over rated.

Pearl, Mississippi
“A MUST GO RESTAURAANT”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Went and dined at this restaurant last week to my suprised it was very very good. sushi is particularly good with a gew good thai recipes on the menu. I definitely recommend this restaturant. The only negative about this restaurant is the accoustics. it gets very very loud at times. People dinning in here can be very loud without consideration for others

Weston, FL
“Good Thai Food”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised to find a good Thai restaurant in S. Birmingham. We went on a Sunday night and it was my first experience with visiting a small town and realizing not much is open for dinning on Sunday nights. However....this place was and I found the food to be very tasty.