“First time trying Thai and LOVED IT”
Review of Surin West

Surin West
Ranked #29 of 978 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 2, 2010

It was my husband and I's first experience with Thai cuisine. So I cannot rate the food based on how authentic it is. But it tasted amazing! We had an ok waiter...could have used a little more personality. We were looking for suggestions and his opinions, but really didn't get any. We did have another nice waitress stop by and help us out though. We ordered a couple sushi rolls. Very good. Not the best I've ever had, but good. I had an order of Tofu Coconut Soup. It was amazing. My husband ordered Roasted Duck with Red Curry and I had Chicken Panang. Both had a spicy sauce and were delicious. I highly recommend both and the soup.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Homewood, Alabama
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Not authentic Thai, BUT the food is great! Pad Thai, Chicken Panang and great sushi

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 8, 2010

It is an enormous place, and some of the newer sections feel more like a cafeteria than a nice restaurant (we ended up seated in the cateteria section, unfortunately). The prices were good, but the food was nothing special. I agree with some others' comments that it seemed like the food was missing some of the "wow" that thai food normally has. I wouldn't be in a hurry to eat there again.

Reviewed December 23, 2009

(based on the downtown location)
The food, for the most part, is excellent. I love the Pad Thai and several other dishes. However, I just tried the sushi and it inst very good. Small rolls, very simple, and not very cheap.

The service is just OK, from my 2-3 dining experiences. What is really lacking is atmosphere. Kind of old and bland decor in the place makes for a boring evening. Havent been to the one in Crestline, it looks maybe a little nicer.

Reviewed November 13, 2009

Affordable, quality Sushi and Thai. Service a bit slow but worth the wait. The menu is huge and packed with so much that selection is bit difficult. I recommend ordering a little at a time as one's eyes can easily be larger than their stomach here. As an out of town foodie in Birmingham for the 1st time I was thrilled to land here.