“Fabulous but 😊”
Review of Surin West

Surin West
Ranked #22 of 947 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fabulous but 😊”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I travel to Birmingham several times a year. Always look forward to dining at Surins restaurant. Very generous martini Great chicken basil with almonds. Fabulous meal. Enjoy an amazing meal at a reasonable price. Nan M SC

Nan M

Cleveland, Ohio
“Found a hair in my food”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This place came highly recommended by a friend of mine, so I probably had high expectations.

We had the shrimp curry, the cashew nut stir fry and the thai noodles. Our appetizers were the egg rolls and some of us had the tofu coconut soup. The curry and the noodles were pretty good, but the food was overall pretty average.

The worse part was that I found a hair in my shrimp curry, which was the "final" stroke I guess.

The server was nice but I felt I was kind of rushed because he would take plates away that weren't completely finished yet.

I doubt that I'll be back. But there are worse places out there.

Birmingham, Alabama
“Surin 280”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

When I lived on south side I went to Surin on 11th ave. Now I frequent the 280 location. The food is usually good however sometimes not so good. It seems better for dinner than lunch must be a different crew in the kitchen. The sushi is OK not the best I have had but just not very creative as some sushi restaurants are. The service is the same as the food sometimes very good sometimes not so good. Again the service for dinner seems better than at lunch. Keep in mind that most of the staff seem to be young and I am sure not making much and the Birmingham dinning scene is not known for high dollar tips even when the service is excellent. I like Surin but the food falls short of an authentic Thai experience. But that's Birmingham we are loaded with Mexican restaurants and all say authentic and most are just a cut above Taco Bell. I personally don't eat at Mexican restaurants in Birmingham for that reason. Back to Surin, the food is good the price is reasonable and the service is usually average. But if Surin was not here all we would have left is the blah, blah Chinese restaurants and they too are authentic!

Colorado
“Bland thai, blah sushi, some good things though”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The 5 points location is rarely a win. 280 is better.
I wouldn't really call this thai but being that it is many Alabamians first experience with ethnic other than Mexican, sure.
The sushi isn't the most fresh. Chuck's on 280 is far better.
I do really only go there for the coconut soup. Some of the other dishes are okay, but just go for a lunch some day if you wish to try. Smaller portions and it includes the soup.
Service is spotty to bad at the 5 points location.
There have been no updates in ten years to seemingly anything.

Birmingham, Alabama
“Birthday Lunch.”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My daughter and I celebrated her birthday Thursday with lunch at Surin West. The food and service were both excellent. I don't understand why everyone is complaining. Maybe some of you need to start with a glass of wine and just relax.