“Surin 280”
Review of Surin West

Surin West
Ranked #22 of 947 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Hoover, Alabama
“Surin 280”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We usually meet friends for dinner at one of the Surin establishments in the city (Birmingham) fairly often, but my wife and I met another couple at their Hwy280 outlet last evening just because it was closest on a rainy night and we didn't care to fight the always horrible 280 traffic. We split orders of spring rolls that were half-price before 7pm. Our server pointed out the 1/2 price deal just before 7 - nice of him. They weren't heavy at all and were very tasty, but light. Perfect for an aperitif and conversation with friends. The server also suggested a new sauvignon blanc on the menu (Manua from NZ). It was excellent. Of course we had a cup of their signature coconut soup with shrimp, too! Always so good. My wife had a maki sushi combination for her entree that I tasted. It was very fresh, delicious and nicely presented. I had the fried catfish entree. It was my first try at this dish, but I had been with friends that swore by it on previous visits to Surin. It was very good, not heavy/greasy at all. There were three generous filets with a nicely spiced sauce. I would definitely order it again if I wasn't up for one their spicy dishes, which I love, next time. Our friends had the broccoli tofu bowl. I sampled the tofu and it was perfectly cooked and tasty. We four split one order of their brownie and ice cream dessert and the two spoons each off us had was a perfect end to a good meal.
This restaurant's decor and ambience was typical for the chain, but this outlet seemed just a little tired. It needs to be spiffed up some. Our server was excellent. Our food was served well - perfectly timed and hot. Business was steady, but not crowded. I seemed to get kind of a tired vibe from the whole crew, though. Can't put a finger on it exactly. They're supposed to be revising their menu I gathered, but our menus were the older versions with stuck-in revised pricing under the plasic menu pages - not too classy. We all enjoyed our meal, however, and maybe just caught them on a bad night. We're still Surin fans.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank ETNTraveler987

Los Angeles, California
“Why do people eat here?”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I don't get it. It's not yummy at all. It's basic to say the least. But then again I am comparing it to CA and NY and DC and Chicago....so poor compared to those cities. I guess beggars really cant be choosers. Little Saigon is the only place here authentic and yummy. I go here only when I have to...like meeting friends who like this place....sigh.

Granbury, Texas
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had eaten here before when we were in Birmingham and really enjoyed, so we were anxious to get back again. It was just as good as we remembered!

Visited December 2012
“Best sushi and pad thai”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. The basil rolls, pad Thai, and sushi kicks so much butt it's unbelievable!!! They have another restaurant on 280 which is awesome as we'll.

Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Food and Variety”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We've eaten here over the past 15 years; most recently this past week-end. The food remains great and the service is really good as well. The crab angels appetizers are a good way to begin the meal. Their sushi is quite good (according to my son and daughter-in-law). For a good, inexpensive lunch, Surin would be a good choice. Dinner here is a good choice for either a couple or a group.

• Visited December 2012