“Great place - parking needs improvement”

Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great historic hotel with all the amenities. The valet/drop-off area needs a lot of help. They check-in process takes way too long because the flow of cars at the entrance is awful! Staff was great....we will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin S
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I’m glad to hear you received great service from our staff, and that you appreciated the hotel’s historic look and amenities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our valet service, as we are always striving to provide the best possible service. This service is conducted by our bell staff, and they are among the most active team members, assisting guests with valet, luggage, and complimentary shuttle service. Due to the Mercedes Marathon and other events our hotel was full and regrettably, there were some delays to valet service. I’m sorry you were inconvenienced, but I sincerely hope you will give us a second chance to impress you with all we have to offer.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very nice hotel. Definitely an upscale Hampton. Historical hotel with interesting origin and well-known guests. Very nice rooms. Must valet vehicle because hotel was built before automobiles were common (1914). Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. I was thrilled to read that your experience with our staff was both friendly and professional, and I will pass along your comments to the rest of our team. We look forward to being of service to you in the future!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend expecting to find a regular Hampton Inn. It turns out that the Tutweiler was Birmingham's premiere hotel. The architecture is simply beautiful. The brick exterior fits in nicely with a lot of the downtown's historic area. The interior is not lacking in modern amenities - coffee/tea maker, cable TV, desk, complimentary toiletries, etc. Plus, the room and hallways feature history black and white photographs of Birmingham - nice touch.

Each morning there was a complimentary breakfast buffet with a waffle station, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, etc. But most impressive was its pristine fitness room. It sported cycles, treadmills, free weights, and kettle balls. There were also wet wipes and towels available. Ahhh! This was a relief as I didn't have to miss out on my local gym amenities during my stay.

Each night I did order room service. Like the rest of Birmingham, sweet potato fries and fried green tomatoes were offered. I found both in the delicious Century Burger. I also ordered Roasted Chicken Pasta, but it the grilled onions were slightly burnt and killed the dish - stay away!

This hotel also seems to be a popular wedding location. One night, I heard cheering outside and peeped out of the window. A wedding party was lined up at the front entrance and was saying farewell to a bridge and groom with sparklers. Very romantic.

Also, this hotel does charge for parking! They only have valet parking which is very limited. Luckily, street parking was free since it was a weekend stay. The surrounding area seemed safe and I was able to find parking easily.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, and would definitely recommend it, especially for history buffs.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GA_Wren
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The hotel is not really near the five points area but the hotel offer a shuttle bus however you would need a car to get around Birmingham anyway. Hotel staff were very friendly upon our arrival and throughout our stay. Room sizes are huge and include a DVD player, reception holds a selection of DVDs. Not 5* accommodation but a recent renovation has made huge improvements. All in all a beautiful hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Husband and I stayed at this landmark hotel in Birmingham, AL while attending a wedding. Most of the wedding party stayed there, as well. The property appears to have been lovingly restored to its former glory. The architectual details are amazing.

The staff are the epitome of Southern Hospitality. They went out of their way to be polite and helpful. When we got home, my husband realized he had left his shaving kit behind, under the bathroom sink. He called, but housekeeping had not turned it in. I suggested that housekeeping probably had not even spotted it, as it was not in plain view. We asked the front desk to send someone to look for it. They immediately found it, and held it until a friend, who was still at the hotel (the bride's mom) could get it.

The breakfast was more than adequate. Waffles, juice, fruit, breads, muffins, sausage or some other meat, scrambled eggs, cereal, etc. The staff worked very hard to keep the dining area clean and to keep the food replenished.

We stayed in a suite on the 7th floor. Although the bedroom is separate from the living area, there is no door to block out noise. We had a lovely view from our bedroom as well as our living area. The bed was very comfortable, as are most Hampton beds. Our suite included a microwave, breakfast bar sink, and mini fridge. The bathroom was acceptable. Not large, but not too small. We had a regular sized tub with a curved shower curtain. My friend, who had a a non suite room, had only a shower.

The only downside was the valet parking. Although they were very quick with the delivery of our car, it was rather pricey, at about $40. per night. We probably could have parked on the street during the weekend, but it was unseasonably cold that weekend, and we preferred to use the valet service.

The bride had negotiated with the hotel for a group rate of $150. per night. This hotel mainly caters to business travel, so I thought the group rate was no bargain considering there were no other events going on in town that weekend. We paid much less booking it through another site.

Room Tip: Suites on the back side are sunny and large.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had always wanted to stay at this hotel due to the history, but not being greeted when I entered the hotel at check in or even saying thank you when checking out has changed my opinion. The rooms were nice but still were not properly clean and I had to call maintenance to have the television repaired upon my arrival.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Only 1 roll of toilet paper in bathroom. Not enough for 4 people. Room next door was loud and slamming door at 3:30 am. Room was spacious. Pillows were huge. No glassware in the room. Only paper cups. There were cookies when we checked in and we asked to have some.....they said this is it. Not enough for all of us.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends