“Won't stay here again”

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've already reviewed this hotel for Marriott so what I'm saying here will not be new to them. This hotel is a disgrace to the Marriott brand. It's dark, outdated and poorly serviced. Even in this day when many hotels have reduced the lighting, this property goes much further. The bathroom lighting was woefully inadequate. T

he signage from the road is almost non-existent. You can see the hotel but can't get there! There is no food service other than a meager breakfast offering. There are no restaurants within walking distance. On my next trip I stayed at the Hilton Perimeter Center for about $10 more per night. There was absolutely no comparison!

On another note, I used delivery service from a nearby restaurant one night and the front desk did not call to confirm nor to alert me that the delivery was on its way.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
timlangley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback and please accept my sincerest apologizes for our short comings in providing you with outstanding service.
I would love the opportunity to find out more about the lighting and breakfast offerings issues. It is my biggest hope that we exceed our guest expectations and if there is something we can do to accomplish that objective I'm always eager to hear from our guest.
I will discuss with the staff these concerns you mentioned and how we will improve on them.
I know our location is challenging we have tried for years to obtain more signage but due to the signing ordinance for this area we are at our maximum with the 3 signs coming from the interstate and the one on Colonnade Parkway, but we don’t give up every opportunity we are begging the state for more we only want to make our guest feel at home and getting home as easy as possible. Again I'm truly sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and more so deeply embarrassed that we did not meet your expectations, and would love the opportunity to show you that we are truly a great hotel?
Please feel free to reach out to me the next time your travels bring you to our city again so that I may personally assist you with arrangements.

With Warmest Regards

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The front desk staff are outstanding. They are very professional and make me feel at home for every visit. Every time I stay, they allow me late check out with no problem. Everyone always have a smile on their face. I was loyal fan of the Hyatt and even the Marriot. I tired yhe Residence Inn and Homewood Suites. Just about every hotel in Birmingham. None of them come close to this hotel. Its very comfortable and quiet. The area is safe and parking is no problem. It located within walking distance of nice restaurants. I think they should provide the complimentary food and drinks during the evening like the Residence Inn or Drury Inn. However, this not a show stopper. Access to movies that are still at the theater provide entertainment for the family without leaving the room. Consider making the front area more comfortable for the desk employees. They deserve it. i have stay at this hotel at least 8 times and I will stay many more times.

Room Tip: Don't choose the handicap accessible rooms unless you need it. They are not comfortable. Bring a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
timlangley, Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Our staff is always so excited to hear what our guest have to say and it helps us to become even better. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Warmest Regards
tim

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Business traveler who stays in hotels 75-90 nights a year, almost all in Marriott branded hotels. This hotel does not meet the standards I expect from a Marriott branded hotel. Linens were not acceptable, bed was not what I have come to expect, hotel was noisy as others have pointed out, and not as clean as I expect from a Marriott hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt S
timlangley, Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Good afternoon Matt,
My apologizes for the in formalness of the greeting, thank you for your feedback we always like to hear from our guest and it helps become better more effective business and a place our guest like to stay.
I am truly sorry that the linens did not meet your expectations. Marriott sent out an initiative near the end of 2012 stating that our terry products would be changing in 2013 to a different product but our vendor has not changed us at this time. Now if what you experienced was something else please let me know so that I can check with our housekeeper and make sure our vendor is maintaining our chemicals properly and we are processing properly. On to our beds the mattress that we use here are Serta Perfect Sleepers and they are only a little over 4 years old they are marked and rotated each quarter, but if you would let me know what room you stayed in I will be sure to inspect that mattress it could be possible that we just have a bad one but I have not had other complaints, but again please let me know I'm defiantly concerned and want to make sure we are offering our guest the best possible accommodations possible. Once I know what room you occupied I will be able to determine who cleaned your room and if I have an issue with a room attendant it will be dealt with most hastily. We are very particular about our cleanliness we are ranked 59 out of 297 SpringHill Suites in cleanliness and hold our associates to a high standard.
I’m truly sorry that it was so loud, we have double pane windows to help control the noise and temperature but it still sometimes is louder than other times. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you how great a place we have. With all that being said the next time you are traveling to the Birmingham area I do hope you reach out to me and I will do everything I can to get you on the other side of the building, but let me know as soon as possible as you may already know those rooms are “very” popular.
With warmest regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

SpringHill Suites, especially the newer properties, are among my favorite choices of late. Good prices, free Wifi and breakfast, great service. This property is clean and comfortable. A bit hard to find but in a quiet area (I did not notice the highway noise). A good choice for the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
timlangley, Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words, we realize we are a bit difficult to find and have made many attempts to add more signage. Unfortunately the State of Alabama's zoning only allows for so much signage and we are at their maximum allowance or I would put a sign on every corner (which is most likely why the state has that rule).
Again thank you for your support and we look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Have you heard the lipstick on the pig analogy? That's what this hotel is. It is clean and looks relatively modern. At worst it is outdated by a few years but not terrible. The issue is that the building is a stick built piece of junk. The people in the room above me seemed like they were going to fall through the floor as they walked around. The walls were so paper thin that I heard the persons phone in the next room over and it was on vibrate. I got out of bed to go check to see if it was mine. It was one of the worst nights of sleep I have ever had because of the noise. It was like people were in my room, I moved after one night to the Courtyard and it was a MAJOR upgrade. I will only stay at the CY and never again at the Springhill when I am in this area from now on.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Gooch146
timlangley, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.. It is my hope every guest have an enjoyable experience when visiting our hotel. Your thoughts and evaluation are most beneficial to the hotel staff, and I will make sure we promptly look into your comments, and find a quick solution.

Please accept my apology on behalf of the entire staff at the SpringHill Suites Colonnade. We truly appreciate our guest and want everyone to feel this is their home away from home. If there is anything I can do personally to get you to try our hotel again, please contact me.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have spent about 20 nights here over the last 3 months. The rooms are clean and comfortable. If you stay on the interstate side, ask for the first or second floor as the noise is bad above that. There are no noise issues on the front side on any floor. Hotel could use a little maintenance such as shower curtain rods in more than one room were loose causing excessive water to get on the floor, more of a nuisance than anything. I question the temp controls on some of the in room fridges, they seem to run a little warmer than comfort for food safety. As a business traveler, I will certainly stay here again, especially when comparing this facility with others in the area based on price and quality.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
timlangley, Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments without them we could not exceed our customers’ expectations, I do apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered and have shared your comments with our house keeping staff and our maintenance staff as a training tool to insure we are more proactive and observant of these things. Also based on your comment regarding the refrigerators I spoke with our service representative and he has ordered me an Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting to get a more accurate reading and we can adjust them accordingly.
Again thank you for your comments and I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel was picked up on GPS but the directions are not good getting to the property. Make sure you turn at the Hampton Inn as there are no signs up at the road! Once we checked in, we were keyed for an occupied room. Found out once all of my family was inside the room and we turned the lights on (luckily nobody was in there). That room (325 facing the parking lot/office bldg) would have been great. Unfortunately, our next room (124) was facing the highway. If you are a light sleeper like me, then you will NOT like all of the highway noise from the trucks cruising up and down 459 all night/morning. It is a heavily traveled road and the noise is overwhelming. Breakfast is ok, workout area is nice except for the TV's which have limited channels. No free weights. Hotel is clean, well kept. An average CFRST branded Marriott hotel. Nothing special!

Room Tip: Facing the parking lot!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review and comments I will share with the staff and use as a training tool. Please accept my sincerest apologizes for the inconvenience and if you could send me the date you checked in I will ensure that the associates’ that were working on that day are absolutely clear about making sure this does not occur again.
I do hope that the next time your travel needs bring you to Birmingham you will give us the opportunity to show you what a great staff we have and let us WOW you!

With warmest regards,