“Better than "Average" but "Very Good" is a stretch”

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Alabama
“Better than "Average" but "Very Good" is a stretch”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My family was in town one night for a sporting event. I made reservations on Marriott's website using a free night certificate. As always, I requested extra towels, pillows & in this case a rollaway bed & low floor near an exit. I know they saw the extra notations because we were given a room on the first floor right near the side exit and none of the other rooms near us were occupied. However, there were no extra towels, pillows, or a rollaway in the room. As it turned out, there was no room for anything extra so I let the bed slide. The "suite" concept is good, but they fill the space with SO much furniture, you can barely move in the sitting area. During our stay, sometimes our keys would work and other times they wouldn't. Not sure if this was a key or lock issue but it was pretty irritating. I warned my husband that other reviewers said it was hard to find and that he should turn at the Hampton sign, but our GPS said otherwise and he chose to follow it. Needless to say, he had to loop back and I got to say "I told you so". I like that the property is tucked away but not sure I would like being outside at night if he hadn't been with us. It is by no means in a bad area...just secluded...?? My biggest complaint was the bed. I prefer a firmer bed but this one was like sleeping on a board for me. My husband said he slept fine but my back ached most of the following day.
On the upside, the hotel and room were clean and nice(but again, cramped). There was plenty of parking and the grounds were well kept. There were enough breakfast items to satisfy my picky bunch and the limited contact we had with staff was pleasant enough. The outdoor pool was a decent size and the kids enjoyed it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor facing the interstate (and pool) but had no noise issues.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I like this hotel on the other side othe interstate from the Summit. It is fairly new and is Marriott property. They have little wetbars in them and a sitting area. I staying in one for about a month and really enjoyed the stay. I didn't get too claustrophobic. The breakfast is a nice hot meal. The little business center is not much but does the trick. The same can be said for the fitness center. The staff is very cordial and the property is well maintained. The hotel is near the interstate.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the interstate side you will here the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Amanda M
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The hotel appears to have been renovated or is fairly new. The lobby and breakfast area are ample and comfortable. The rooms are a bit on the smaller side for a Suite but are clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to traffic noise, ask for a room away from the traffic side of the Hotel. I did...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is fairly new and pretty nice. It's a little hard to find -- the sign off of Colonnade Parkway is hard to spot. Reception is very friendly. However they have a "green" thermostat that keeps the rooms at 80 degrees if nobody's in for "a long time". So, my room (during an Alabama summer) was very uncomfortable for nearly an hour until the A/C could catch up. While hotels strive to give you a "warm welcome," this one was a little too literal. Perhaps they could send someone to trip the system before a guest arrives?

Room Tip: The top floor is probably warmer than the rest, so during the summer, I'd stay away from that.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank The_Notorious_BLG
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I arrived in Birmingham to attend my cousin's wedding. At check-in, the staff presented me with a gift basket from the bride and groom and the keys to the room. I informed the desk clerk that I did not recieve the rate that quoted on the couple's wedding website, and she adjusted my rate. The room was clean, spacious, and equipped with all the comforts of home. Breakfast was fresh and delicious. You will not be disappointed if you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Phenix City, Alabama
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on short notice in March and was pleasently surprised. The room was huge, the bed was very comfortable and even though we had a room facing the Interstate, we never heard a sound. We never heard the people around us or in the hallways.

Breakfast was nice, but could have been kept warmer. It is close to the area where we shop and dine and not far from the event we were attending. We arrived early in the morning and our room was already available, which was very nice. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

My only complaint is that there was no safe in the room where I could leave my iPod. I'm not used to staying with no safe to lock up my things, but it wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I arrived early after a long trip with my husband and 2 kids. I asked if a room was available and was given a room to my shock- it was only 1:00. The young man at the front desk was very helpful and polite. That sums up the good. When we got into our room the toilet immediately overflowed onto my childs feet. In a hurry to be somewhere else, I just let it slide. Upon returning in the evening and settling into bed, we were appalled at the noise from the interstate. It is not just a distant rumbling of traffic. It sounds like you have set up camp on the grassy ledge next to the freeway. The hotel has no insulation AT ALL, which leads me to my next horror story. At 9 pm, the couple next door decided to become intimate. They woke my 2 children...boy were those noises hard to explain. We heard everything. The walls are so thin it is absurd! When they finally concluded next door, around 2 am, we got about 4 hours of sleep. We decided to try some breakfast in the lobby. It was so awkwardly set up and hard to move around that we finally gave up. It is a tiny space with a wall right in the middle and people were bimping into each other. Disaster. Oh- the a/c does nothing for the interstate traffic noise. Be warned.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family