“Not a perfect vegan meal, but come on, it's Birmingham”
Review of Bottletree - CLOSED

Bottletree
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: BottleTree is a cafe, bar and live music venue with an emphasis on national touring acts, that serves an eclectic mix of food that caters heavily to vegetarians featuring locally grown, seasonal vegetables.
listen4kristen
“Not a perfect vegan meal, but come on, it's Birmingham”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I was driving through Birmingham and needed a meal. I wanted to try some local cuisine, so I found Bottletree on TA and saw that they made vegan food. There was no menu on the site, so I called up and asked for their vegan options. The gentleman I talked to on the phone was extremely helpful and mentioned a few options. Being a starving girl, I went with the black bean burger.

Upon my arrival, I added an unsweetened tea and a tofu peanut butter cheesecake to my order. It was a neat bar atmosphere inside. I almost wished I had some extra time to sit down and have a beer.

The burger had great flavor, but the patty was a bit mushy for my taste (a common problem with black bean burgers). Everything else the burger entailed (bun, veggies, Dijon mustard) was delicious and fresh. The cheesecake kind of had the same problem; great flavor, but I wish it had been a bit firmer.

Overall, cool place. I think I'll go back again on my road trip home and try a different menu item!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank listen4kristen

“Awesome!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Very relaxed atmosphere. They have couches! Walls are COVERED in all manner of things. Order up front and sit where you like. The service is fast and friendly. This is our favorite place to eat in Birmingham. Family friendly. The root beer is great. And most importantly, the food is great!

• Visited June 2013
Birmingham, AL
“Great music venue with good food”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is one of the must-go places for great local music in Birmingham. It is owned by musicians so the stage is nice and the sound quality is excellent. It is a very cozy, friendly kind of place. Surprisingly, for a place like this, it also has an excellent kitchen serving a variety of meals at reasonable prices. If you're a musician and play here, they have a superb, spacious and comfortable backstage area to chill our before the show. Recommended!

• Visited December 2012
Grass Valley, California
“Hipster friendly, good vegan options”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I cannot believe this place is in Birmingham, Alabama. Felt like I was in one of the younger hipper hoods in NYC, Mpls, or Chicago. Walls are papered with a thousand concert photos and pictures of musicians. Live music several nights of the week. Good vegan options including housemade black bean burger. If I were being picky I'd say that the salsa and chips were really lame. Local beers on tap.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Bezus
Birmingham, AL
“Really enjoyed their Sunday brunch”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Bottletree has one of the best vegetarian menus I've seen in Birmingham. I'm personally not vegetarian, but I wanted to pass along that information. I had been to Bottletree for a live music performance and loved the campy decor as well as the friendly efficient bartenders. When a rare Sunday off came up, we decided to check out their brunch. It's set up so you order at the counter and they bring the food to your table when it's ready. When the item I wanted from the brunch menu wasn't available, they also showed me a menu of specials I hadn't noticed before. Seeing Shrimp With Fried Grit Cakes sealed the deal for me. They were seriously much better than I even expected them to be. The shrimp were perfectly cooked, the sauce was divine, and excellent for bread dipping. I wish I could remember what my friend ordered. It was from the regular brunch menu and it was good, but not spectacular. We also ordered a side of sweet potato biscuits that they serve with fresh fruit and honey butter; although they were yummy in my shrimp sauce, too. Very highly recommended. We got there around 11:30 with very little wait, but I was told that they often fill up quickly, so an arrival at 11am when they open or after 1pm would most likely yield the shortest wait.

• Visited July 2012