“How did they get the awards???”

LuoYang ZhenBuTong Restaurant (ZhongZhou East Road)
Ranked #18 of 147 Restaurants in Luoyang
Cuisines: Fast Food
Singapore, Singapore
“How did they get the awards???”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The place is really nice looking with great service. The food --- I took 2 taste of each dish (once as the 1st and the second to reconfirmed) and asked to pay the bills... the food was totally awful tasting! Its a disgrace to food in Luoyang because I stayed about a week in Luoyang and ate in some really great restaurants there.

Beats me how the were given so many awards and have been reputed to be around for many hundred years...was it a case of hundreds of years of mistake?

• Visited March 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brussels
“Food did not meet our expectations”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Based on raving reviews on the "water banquet" of this restaurant, we gave it a try, but this was the worst diner in one month China travel.
Definitively overrated in the guide books.

• Visited August 2011
“Compulsory for local delicacy”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Even the locals will tell you that this is the restaurant to go for the local traditional delicacy.

Go for the food. Ignore everything else.

Have your meals in the small dining rooms as there is a different menu from the big open dining area.

• Visited May 2011
South Pole
“I want taste, I want quality”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We went to the restaurant because of all of the positive references we had read online. We tried the so-called ‘mini banquet’ on the first (or ground) floor. We did not partake of the larger banquet served in rooms upstairs.
The room was open plan and noisy and had the ambiance of any cheap restaurant in China. The waitresses were all dressed in what I assume are variants of local outfits, long yellow gowns, trimmed in greens and with a large flower on their heads.
As we were only two people we ordered the four dish mini-banquet option at Y100.
Each choice arrived as a soup or broth, with the egg soup arriving last. It seems that the arrival of the egg soup is always the last dish however large the banquet may be.
I found the food to be not to my (western) taste. It seemed to me like cheap market food. The main dish was nicely presented with shaved egg yolk arranged as a peony flower. Unfortunately the meat in it seemed to be strips of luncheon meat. Another bowl was just cheap processed chicken in a broth. The other dish had strips of chicken and vegetables.
Service was as we have so often encountered in China - surly, and functional. Other diners came and went quickly, and people seemed to treat eating here as a function.
It was a mildly interesting experience. I would never return.

1 Thank soundsverygood