“Old and disgusting”

Ranked #26 of 456 Hotels in Luoyang
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Old and disgusting”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I would not stay in this hotel again, it was old and run down and the cleanliness was disgusting, I felt like I had to hygienically clean everything before I touched it! The carpet was dirty and ripped and the bed smelled like musty urine. We ventured out of the hotel to find dinner but there is nothing at all around, it's not in a very good area so we ended up back at the hotel and they had a western style menu in their downstairs restaurant which was actually great after days of eating chinese food but that is the only good thing I have to say about this hotel. The breakfast was very poor, I had a spoon of rice and a sausage and that was it so I wouldn't recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Markham, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My travel agent recommended another hotel but then my budget would have increased. I figured it's only one night. In the end, I should have listened to COT (China Odyssey Tours). If it wasn't for the decent bathroom and furniture, I would have given the place a 2 star rating. The bathroom towels were just disgusting. They were gray and even more noticeable when the towels were wet. My parents' bathroom floor did not seemed mopped at all. My mom wiped off some water that was on the floor and her towel showed traces of dirt. As mentioned in previous reviews, there were no complimentary water bottles - it seemed standard in all of our 6 out of 7 hotels we'd stayed during our 13 day visit. As for breakfast, it was a typical Chinese fare. There were boiled eggs, bread, fried eggs and fruit (standard stuff). That said, my mom requested for some scrambled eggs as the lady was only frying them. The request was denied. Be prepared to smell smoke in the dining hall. There is a no-smoking policy in China but no one seems to enforce it, even in the restaurants. It seems like the Chinese patrons who stay at hotels that cater to Westerners respect the non-smoking policy there. Our guide, Charlie from COT said that normally "westerners' stay at Christian Hotel. Should have splurged!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank vhay2013
Surrey, UK
Reviewed January 26, 2014

For anyone who had stayed in 4* hotels around the world, the Luoyang Grand simply falls well short of the standards you would expect.

Bad staff service, poor food, hard bed, no bottled water, hijacked in the lift by someone offering 'beauty services', taking a disproportionate deposit off the credit card at check in without advising how much and old, grubby and dated decor are just some of the areas I believe it falls short on.

Are there worse hotels in Luoyang? Probably. But my advice to anyone would be to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gaz_n_Dave

Travelers are raving about these Luoyang hotels

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Having had money taken from my credit card without permission by the most obnoxious reception staff, the next experience was to be offered massage services by an ugly woman who jumped into our lift. Rooms are tired, not very clean. No water in the grubby room and breakfast was simply poor with stained linen everywhere. Even for China this is not a four star hotel. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This would have to have been the worst hotel we stayed in on our trip to China except for the Novotel Beijing Xingqiao. The bed was like a slab of concrete, the windows were filthy, the bathroom was appalling with the towels being yellowed with stains and about 10 years old. The tiling and grout in this bathroom was in such a poor state of repair that I actually felt dirtier after my shower. The lack of choice and quality of food in the eating hall ( as I certainly would not call it a restaurant) was dismal at best and the location was no where near anything of note. There was a supermarket 10 - 15 mins walk from the hotel but none of the staff were helpful and they were seen to be spitting on the floors which we found a common and disgusting habit throughout China.

I would not even give this 1 out of 5 in the rating scale. And I think their 4 star rating is actually in their own mind as I would rank this hotel with a backpackers hostel.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
greece
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Despite the not so good rewies the hotel it is good for Luoyang
Central located with refurbised rooms to the upper floors
Big rooms nice and with all you need
Also the bedroom was good
The breakfast acceptable for China

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Castro Valley, California, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The location isn't convenient; I needed to walk a long way to go shopping and eat. We spent 2 nights, and the room was old and dirty, especially the bathroom, which needs to be remodeled. The towels are old too. The worst thing that happened is when I checked out (April 1, 2012) the guy at the desk told me that they will take out $30.00 for the 3 small (smaller than hand towels) towels out of my deposit because I used them to clean the milk tea that I accidentally spilled on the table. I told him that those towels are for cleaning, and they can wash off the milk tea. He said he used water to wash them that you can't wash the stain out of the towels. I asked him if the hotel even use soap and bleach to wash the towels. He didn't reply. Finally, he insisted that he charge me $30.00. I was angry. I paid for $600 per night, and all I got was such bad service. Those people try to rip off the customer for their extra money. Be careful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family