“Clean & Comfortable!”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bessemer
Birmingham, Alabama
“Clean & Comfortable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Stayed here for homecoming at the University of Alabama, because it was a last minute trip and everything in Tuscaloosa was booked. We had a King studio suite on the first floor. The room was large and comfortable, and most importantly...CLEAN! I read some reviews here that the beds were hard. I did not find that to be the case, although it was a little firmer than the pillowtop I'm used to at home. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. The indoor pool area looked clean, but it was small. We did not use the pool. The breakfast area was clean and the food was the standard fare--muffins, cinnamon rolls, cereal. There wasn't much fresh fruit, which would have improved it for me. My husband said the biscuits and gravy were quite good. The front desk staff weren't overly friendly, but they weren't rude.

The only problems we had were 1) there were only 3 small, flat pillows on the bed and we are used to having more, fluffier pillows, so I didn't sleep very well the first night. The second night we asked for more pillows and they were promptly delivered. 2) There were no hangers in the closet and no ironing board (there was, however, an iron). My husband went to the front desk to ask for hangers and they gave him two, saying that was all that they had available. So we weren't able to hang up the clothes needed or iron them properly, and that was annoying, especially to this former sorority girl who still feels the need to dress up for football games!

There were several restaurants, a Wal-Mart, and several convenience stores near the hotel. No outstanding restaurants unless you're a huge fan of Cracker Barrell, Ruby Tuesday, or Waffle House, but there are other, more upscale restaurants within a 15 minute drive up I-459 to the Galleria or Summit, if you are so inclined.

Country Inn & Suites was a good choice for this last minute trip to Homecoming in Tuscaloosa. If necessary, we would stay here again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

It was an okay stay. The bed was hard as a rock, the pool was a big bathtub size, and the whirlpool even smaller. The hallways are not air conditioned and smelled and not in a good way.
The only positive point is the breakfast. It was nice and included waffles and bisquits, bacon and gravy.
Would not stay there again as the sleeping was rough with such a hard bed and too soft pillows.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 60Twinkleb

Travelers are raving about these Bessemer hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

After a long drive from North Carolina we pulled in to get a room. We've stayed at plenty other Country Inn & Suites without experiencing any problems. We had a late check in so we received a discounted rate, nice. Found out after we walked pass the pool that something was wrong with it. We were told someone had bathed in it. Foam was collecting all over it as well as the hot tub. In the room we discovered the refrigerator was not working properly. We really considered leaving at that point, definitely would have if not for the discount. Later on I go to their business center to purchase and print out some amusement park tickets and find out they don't have printer. The printer que had items waiting since February! Breakfast was ok. Pool was never properly fixed, but my crazy kids swam in it anyway. We're definitely not staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank CTown007
Greeley, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

We pulled in to the hotel after a Long drive!! I called and asked if they a room big enough for us (2 beds and a pullout couch), I was told yes and advised I was on the interstate and would be there in approx 30 mins. I arrived about 40 mins after the call and the desk clerk had given the room away. He did not make any effort to help me figure out how to get another room accomodated. I left and then went back in a few mins later (my kids really wanted to swim and the pool was open until midnight..current time was about 9:30) and he said I may have an idea (why didnt he have this idea the st time??/) anyways...we got checked in and the room was great. we swam until 11 pm or so. Beds were comfortable and room was spacious and clean. I ended up having a fairly good experience so I stayed another night during our trip. I did realize however I was overcharged on the 1st stay but the gu yat the desk on the 2nd night credited me the difference and gave me a dicsounted rate, that was really nice. The pool was closed this 2nd stay :( breakfast was fine.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Antarctica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

I called the main reservation number and asked if this place had a pool. I guess I should have asked if it was open, or closed by the health department. I bypassed cheaper places just to have a pool for the family only to be stuck in the room with nothing to do but write this review. It's not just that they didn't know the pool was closed, but they still charged full price for the room (over $100). Well, for that money, at least I can go work out...oh wait, the exercise room is also closed for maintenance. Yay! Money well spent!
I asked to speak to a manager, but was told there won't be one until tomorrow night.
I guess if all your activity facilities are closed or shut down due to health violations, you should probably discount your rates just a bit.
On the plus side, it seems clean and quiet (so far).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank static1
North Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

i was traveling alone with three children. I felt very safe in this hotel.

Clean hotel with great staff. Easy check-in and check out. We stayed here with points plus cash so it was an excellent bargain. The hotel was full due to an Alabama football game the next day. It was a quiet location with lots of local restaurants nearby. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
SMYRNA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2009

We checked in around 7pm for a one night stay on the way to an Alabama football game. This hotel was the closest hotel to Tuscaloosa under $100. We checked in very quickly. The check-in desk and common area was very nice. There is a fire place and comfortable sofas and chairs and a bookcase full of books that can be checked out. There are freshly baked cookies available next to the check in desk.

Our room was two doors away from the work out room and pool on the first floor. The room has high ceilings that made it look larger than typical hotel rooms. Everything seemed new/clean and well taken care of. Our room was non-smoking, two queen sized beds. The matresses were firm and comfortable and the pillows were down and comfy. There was a nice flat-screen tv with extensive channels to choose from. There was a little area with coffee making supplies, microwave and fridge. There was a writing desk with lamp and ample places to plug in laptops, etc.

The bathroom was very clean and nice. The counter and shower were granite. There were ample towels, a hair dryer and name brand toiletries.

The continental breakfast was good- juice, coffee, tea, patries, fresh fruit, muffins, hard boiled eggs, waffles and cereal.

My only complaint was that the pool was not heated- it was about 45*F and the windows in the pool area were open, so it was almost unbearable to swim (but the hot tub was fine)

It was a Alabama football weekend-the hotel was at capacity, but not at all loud. This hotel is a great choice if you are staying in the Bessemer area. The restaurant options near this hotel are not good at all, so be prepared.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family