“PLEASE READ!”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bessemer
Birmingham, Alabama
“PLEASE READ!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed on the first floor and thought for sure I was going to be disturbed by pool noise but surprising I wasn't. There was no smoke smell on my floor but I do believe others did smell it on the 4th floor. The hotel was clean and my room was the same quality I get when I go to Holiday Inn Select. I couldn't stay there this time because they were booked for the Graduations and Holiday. I am so glad we stayed here because it was a lot cheaper then Holiday Inn. The lady at the front desk was approachable and friendly. I say that because the hotel I tried to stay at before coming to this one was rude and nasty. I read the comments left by others who have stayed at this location but did not observe what they did. The food was good biscuits and gravy and waffles. I know when I read reviews especially great ones I always think they must come from people who work there especially after a really bad one but trust me this is worth checking out if your on this side of town. For those staying for an extended period of time like we did they have 2 fridges in the room and microwave. Plenty of closet space,drawers and big bathroom. I am very picky about the bed situation because I experienced horror stories at many hotels but when I crawled into bed there I was so pleased! I pulled down the sheets made sure there wasn't any bugs or marks of any kind and it was spotless! The pillows were fluffy and smelled good and the blanket was just right not too heavy but not too light either. I paid the discount rate because I stayed weekly and feel that I got my moneys worth and some. I will defiantly stay here again. If you don't like smoke I recommend you stay on 1st or 2nd floor. I have allergies and I usually try to stay on these floors in most hotels in Alabama since there smoking laws are different then most states I travel too. This area can be a bit pricy due to its location but I learned through the years that if you come in and talk to the manager at most any hotel you can work out a good rate. I pray my review helps take care and God Bless!

Room Tip: If you don't like smoke stay on 1st or 2nd floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debby C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Jackson, Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We checked into this hotel after a long day of driving, rates were a bit high but we were tired and ready to relax. Front desk lady was very nice and professional. We were given a room on the third floor, when we stepped off of the elavator it reeked of ciggarette smoke! When we got to the room we immediately started to look for another hotel on our IPad. Found one 15 minutes later in Homewood, Alabama. A VERY nice hotel in a GREAT location!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alicia A
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, AL and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure that smoke odor related problems are investigated and resolved immediately. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly at 205-481-0007.

Travelers are raving about these Bessemer hotels

Sammamish, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our family had to stay in Bessemer this past weekend because Tuscaloosa was booked for graduation. I thought Country Inns were ok, but I will never stay in one again. First of all, for two of the nights we stayed the prices were jacked to $150 per night which is ridiculous for such a crummy place. The upkeep on this hotel was totally unacceptable! Every time we tried to use the spa the chlorine was too strong and it literally choked you...plus there were never any pool towels. The pool bathroom might has well have been a gas station restroom. No toilet paper, totally trashed and filthy. The treadmill was broken in the fitness center. Trash was left outside of our room (not ours for 24 hrs.) There was a strong odor of pot in the hallway and kids were screaming unattended until after 12 AM. No fruit or yogurt for breakfast. Rooms minimally cleaned...never put ironing board away. I submitted my complaints to the national survey and got a note back from the manager apologizing and saying that if we stayed there again she would upgrade us IF she had availability. Great offer!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nancy P
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We were pleased with this motel. We had a great room on first floor. The beds were somewhat firm but comfortable. Plenty of pillows. The room was quiet, well decorated, and clean.
The front desk clerk was a college gal doing homework on her computer. She was quiet but nice and pleasantly helpful when asked for information or if we stopped to chat a bit about a nearby restaurant.
The breakfast was the usual fare. I liked the oatmeal already made and hot in a crockpot. I would have liked raisins or any fruit.
The coffee was perfect. Strong enough with great taste. Not at all bitter or weak like so many places.
If you are looking for a place to eat , Ezells Catfish Cabin is close and awesome food.

• Stayed April 2013
Martinez, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on way to a-day game in t-town. Got lowest price by calling motel than what services had online. Stayed on third floor & hallway smelled like cig smoke. Room was ok,missing a few light bulbs,TV is small 25 " flat screen view sonic . Bathroom was nice big. Breakfast was limited,no forks,no bowls, service lady could only speak Spanish so desk help came over to help. On checking out front desk couldn't give me a receipt cause they had me as a no- show. Front desk night an day persons dressed in jeans an were studying books. Parking lot light on timer an didn't come until black outside .would I stay again- maybe.

• Stayed April 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my first time to stay. Its just great hotel compare to other in same area. Our family really enjoy to be stay here. Nice, Clean rooms, Fitness center was excellent. Pool very clean and maintained water temperature. Price is good. Next time we are definitely in same hotel. Thank you Management..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Okay so I haven't stayed here in about 2 years because I REFUSE to ever stay here again!! This is a delayed review and I am mostly doing this because others were referring to a smell they couldn't put there finger on. IT'S BODY ODER mixed with cigarrett smoke. Our room had the smell also. When we arrived at the hotel I thought every thing was fine a little out dated but that's ok. Then we got to the hallway and our room! I literally took my perfume and sprayed the entire room and used a lot to do it, the smell was horrendous! We also found our sheets were dirty and there were old recipts left in the room. I asked the man at the front desk to change them, he argued with me and said they had been changed but that he would do it anyway. Then when he arrived him and some other man came in to change the sheets and were talking in Spanish saying bad things about me, my husband understands a little Spanish and herd they called me some really nasty names. I called the hotels managment line and they apologized (No refund) but still after that I will never go back. Just to be clear I didn't stay here in 2012 it was 2011 but the dates didn't go back that far

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Nikkikins
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We appreciate you feedback and we want to escalate this matter to upper management so we can ensure this is resolved properly. Please contact Carlson Corporate Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182 at your earliest convenience.