“Not typical of most HI Express Hotels.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bessemer
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Bessemer
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We typically seek out HI Express for the cleanliness, comfy beds, and fantastic breakfasts. First the goods: The staff were nice and we were happy to have a fridge in our room. The bads: The bed just wasn't as comfortable as they usually are, the pillows were horrendous! The were squishy and lumpy. I brought it to the receptionist's attention and she said they are all like that. Also, breakfast the next day was very much below standard. We had an hour to go before breakfast was to end but the server didn't refill anything that had run out unless we asked her to, the eggs were nasty, the pancake machine was broken and the selection was not up to par.
We will avoid this HI Express in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor. We were on the 2nd floor and could hear the people above us all night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went away for a day to visit a friend that was coming into the Birmingham area for buiness. Although it was one day and night, it was an enjoyable time. There are several restaurants in the area, we chose Applebee's for our dinner, it was within walking distance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2012

When I approached the reception desk, the hostess did not greet me, just left me standing there. When she did finally acknowledge me, she says "how may I help you" with a tone as if I was loitering on the property instead of trying to check into the suite we reserved. The next morning we slept in with the DND sign in the lock that was provided, however when we got out for the day (about 2:40 p.m.) and stopped by the desk to ask if we could have our room cleaned, we were told "housekeeping left at two o'clock".
Oh.
So when we stated that we only needed clean towels, we were told that we would get some.
Ok, so upon our return for the evening, not only were our same soiled towels there, but we didn't have clean ones as promised. When we went to the desk to request them, we were told, "we only have these few (drying) towels left, and you'll have to wait until housekeeping comes in tomorrow to get washcloths".
Oh?
We decided then to check out and find another place, and that's when we got washcloths, but still no one came to get our trash, nor ask if we needed anything else.
Now, I don't need to be pampered or even kissed up to. I don't even believe in "the customer is always right", but I DO expect to get good service at places I spend my money and am being a courteous patron to.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bessemer, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Dear andAwayIGo,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I'm glad that our location was perfect and you slept very well. I am sorry to hear that the service you received from the Front Desk was unacceptable. I assure you that we take every comment seriously. We hope you give us a chance to host you the next time you are in the area.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here instead of the Comfort Inn that we used to always stay at on trips between NC and TX but am very disappointed. The rate went up $10 between the time I initially researched hotels and a week later when I wanted to make our reservations. My confirmation email indicated I had reserved a King Room, Non-Smoking but we checked in we discovered it was a 2 Queen room instead. When I questioned the front desk, I was told that by the time the reservation made it to them, they didn't have any non-smoking King rooms left. I made the reservations on their website, not priceline or any of the other discount websites. Walking into the bathroom for the 1st time, I almost fell. There was something very slick on the floor, not wet, just very slippery. Walking on the carpet in my bare feet, it felt like the carpet was wet, almost like it had been steam cleaned but hadn't dried yet maybe? Another issue is that while the room provides a desk, there are only two outlets by the desk, one had the lamp plugged into it, the other had the microwave plugged into it. So there was no place to plug in my laptop computer. What good is the desk if you can't plug in your laptop to charge?

Overall, considering what we had to pay for this room, I am extremely disappointed and probably will not seek out another Holiday Inn type room for future travels.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel - this one is not worth the money.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Bessemer, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Dear BowlinMama,

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. We do our best to accommodate all bed type requests. It is not very often that we are not able to. I apologize we did not have the King room when you stayed. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were exhausted from traveling and found this hotel along the way home. What a great surprise! Rooms were large and comfy as well as sporless! Staff was excellent and very helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel. Easy access off the highway, close to Birmingham.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed here one night. We used our points and this place was great they upgraded us to a queen suite and it was a really beautiful room it included a little kitchen area which was great for our child to have her dinner. The only draw back was the carpet was a little wet near the air conditioner. Otherwise I wish all the other ones where like this room.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights... Staff was very friendly and the room was extremely clean. The breakfast selection was great.

• Stayed: September 2011