“Rated A & H, on alphabet scale, for AWEFUL AND HORRIBLE”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Bessemer
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stopped at this hotel for night after long drive from Niagara Falls. The desk clerk, Ms. A. Adams, was the sweetest person, polite, and helpful. She assigned us Rm. 216 and my wife and I proceeded to the room and upon entering, found it occupied by a man sleeping in the bed. We backed out of the room and returned to the lobby and spoke to Ms. Adams, who apologized, and stated no one should be in that room. We later learned the man in the room was not a registered guest and should not be in the hotel. Ms. Adams the assigned us a 2nd room, non smoking, on the third floor. We proceeded to our room, and upon entering, found it reeked of cigarette smoke. The bed was made, but appearred to have been slept in. The bathroom vanity and floor were covered with freshly cut hair and the toilet and surrounding floor was covered with urin and hair. We again left the room for the lobby desk, where Ms. Adams was again agasp and apologetic. We told her we would leave and find a different hotel, but she insisted she would make it right and move us into a non smoking suite, at same price, and help us move our luggage from 2nd room to suite. Upon entering hallway of non smoking suite, it reeked of cigarette smoke(APPARENTLY NO SMOKING POLICY IS NOT ENFORCED) and entered suite. The room smelled of cigarette smoke, but at this point, we reluctantly stayed, as were were both exhausted from long drive. Cigarette smoke was eminating through the crack under door and entering room. My wife and I awoke early to check out. I found myself with red eyes and soar throat, apparently from cigarette smoke. We again complained to a new front clek of problems, and asked to speak to a manager, who was not present on the premises. The night clerk, Ms. Adams, had left notes to manager and day clerk, of our concerns. We were told we would be contacted by a manager and possible be credited for some or all of price of room. We then left and returned to Louisiana and was not contacted by a manager until I emailed a complaint to the hotel and the corporate HQ of Choice Hotels. We were offered .20% off of our bill. My wife and I have stayed in many Choice Hotels in our travels and this by far has been the worst experince of hotel stays.

Room Tip: If you stay remove all valuables from vehicle as numerous vehicles had been broken in during the mon...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul L

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We used the exercise room which had up-to-date equipment including a treadmill and bicycle and weights. The breakfast room was attractive and the complimentary breakfast included waffles, biscuits and gravy, cereal, toast, fruit , juice, and coffee. The motel is located within walking distance to restaurants which include a catfish restaurant and Applebee's. It is conveniently located off Interstate 20. The only down-side is that the price was a little high and the state and local taxes added nearly an additional 18%.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Do not stay at this hotel or any hotel on Academy drive!!! Our vehicle wa broken into!!! Window smashed in and personal items stolen!!!! After it happened we were then told that it has been happening a lot!!! Everyone was acting very suspicious and no one would call manager! It has been 4 days and we still have not heard from manager!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank MSqueen4
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The first room was stinking of urine, so we switched to another room. Little did we know it was filthy too! Kids and parents, we were all clean, after 2 minutes walking on carpet our feet were pitch black! Yuck! Even though kids had bathed, I still had to wash their feet again before tucking them in. How gross, I can't imagine how long since anybody cleaned those carpets in that hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MrsNorway
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay. I would certainly like to apologize for your less than perfect experience. We are in the midst of revitalizing our hotel and we would appreciate a second chance if you are ever in the area again. We appreciate the patronage and hope to see you again

Reviewed January 1, 2012

On one of my recent trips I got tired of driving in the rain and stopped at this hotel. When I got to my room I found that the coffee pot still had coffee in it, the coffee packs had all been used up, there were no tissues, the floor needed to be vacumned. I called the desk clerk and all she said was "sometimes they overlook things when cleaning". This hotel charged more than the rate I had at the Residence Inn in Savannah. Don't stop here keep going you may as well go to Motel 6, where the rate is cheap.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eve f
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My family and I have stayed at this hotel for the past few years going back and forth from VA to TX as a stopover. It’s always been a pretty nice place to stay, clean and comfortable up until now. This place has gone down so bad. First of all the only front desk clerk was hanging out front propped up against the building smoking. The whole place smelled really bad, I mean really bad and smoky. The floors and hallways were filthy. Before we brought our stuff into the room we made sure to check it out first. The carpet had something all over it and I don’t think I want to know what it was. You definitely wouldn’t want to walk around barefooted. The bed was disgusting, it had not been changed! There was grit and hair from all body parts in it. GROSE! We called down to tell the clerk about it, she apologized came up to see and moved us to another room. While she was moving us we were talking to her about it and she told us that there had been many complaints to the manager but he wouldn’t do anything about it. I guess he thinks he’ll get money no matter what and he doesn’t have to keep a clean decent hotel. The next room was a little better, not much, the sheets were clean, but the bathroom was not and the tub, yuck. Decided not to use it. We would have gone somewhere else but we were so tired and still had another 12 hr. drive the next day, we just wanted to crash. The next morning I went down to get some coffee because the coffee pot in the room was nasty. The floor was so sticky you couldn’t walk right. I got some coffee but it was so bad I had to throw it out. We left as fast as we could. That will be the last time we ever stay there, NEVER AGAIN. If he has been complained to several times before and hasn’t done anything about it yet, he never will. He won’t be getting any more of our money ever again! We will find a much nicer place to rest, a place that deserves our money. We were never offered any compensation besides the change of rooms. Don’t be fooled by the pics that this place puts up. They are from long ago and it’s not the same anymore. I tell you it’s bad!

Room Tip: Check the beds first sheets do not get changed
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2010

I came to the comfort inn at the last minute and everything was great and woke up to a fresh hot breakfast from the bnest staff at a hotel this is a great place to stay

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends