“Not to be missed”

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

If you come to Chengde, do not leave before seeing at least both Putuo and Puning temples. If you were time-constrained I would even recommend seeing them over the Mountain resort itself. The Putuo (the "mini" Potala) is just stunning, the Puning is extremely charming and its gigantic wooden Buddha very impressive

Visited October 2011

• Hungarian first
Chengde, China
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“The replica Potala”
Reviewed April 30, 2007

There is only one drawback to wanting to visit the 'replica' Potala: you probably need to be as fit to climb the steeply winding and rough pathway as if you were climbing to the original Potala in BeiJing. Sadly I had to give up after a short distance because I wouldn't have kept up with the rest of my tour group. Or at least that's what I felt.

This temple, more than the other two probably, it would be wise to take a 'hiking' stick if you have leg or knee problems at all. Or if you have balance problems. The steps are individualistic and the day we were there the sun was so bright that it was difficult to gauge the depth (or otherwise) of each one. Also they weren't exactly steps as one would expect to a building: more depressions in the paving which may or may not have a bit of concrete making it 'proud'. Definitely not a walk to be rushed.

I was told that in the long run it wasn't as difficult as expected because these 'steps' were spaced out. Not all our party made it right up to the Potala for all that: so the steepness is a factor to be taken into consideration (as is the Great Wall: which had also defeated me on time factors).

As with the Pule Temple which we visited later the same day, one does have to work for one's view of the main building of the Potala. I didn't glimpse it until I was safely back on the coach, and scrambled off again to get my photo. Not that I had any great hopes of it being any good due to the great distance. However, I had forgotten the clearness of the mountain air.

We were at this temple late morning and there was a number of tourists about: all Chinese. I don't think I saw anyone from the west. Not long after one starts the climb there is an area with a drinks stall, and a stall sellng 'amulets'. However, (and a lovely change) no one trying to get you to 'buy, buy, buy'.

the whole temple is peaceful, even though at least one of the buildings by the drinks area is open and people can climb to the roof area (not on top of the roof itself but just under the eaves) and I was called to by some young Chinese people.

Been to Eight Outer Temples? Share your experiences!