Ming's Dynasty Hostel Chengde
  • Free Internet
$39
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
First Met Hostel(Chengde)(Great Value!)
$12
  • Breakfast included
Jinjiang Inn Chengde Railway Station(Chengde)(Great Value!)
$26
$25
Agoda.com
$48
Orbitz.com
Yihaoyuan Business Hotel(Chengde)(Great Value!)
$19
  • Bar/Lounge
$122
$106
$209
$102
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Very receptive and lovely host when we called ahead to book with the Lady of the hostel. Her husband was grumpy when we arrived and we had to fight our way in to a cheaper room. The twin room was 140 with no bathroom. He wanted to up the price 20 for the holiday. He also wanted 270 for the room with a bath.
The room was cold and I didn't sleep exceptionally well even with the heater on max (April). The shower was over an unheated seated toilet so we didn't even try.

The location was a fair bit south of downtown, right by the train station. This was quite convenient to find when we got off at the station, though we could hear trains honking at times in the night.

We ended up in a real hotel for 300 the next night. Though we were thankful for the map and introduction that he gave us in the morning. The common room was also nice. He also said he was doing us a special favour when he offered us 2 cups of hot water.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Green_General
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Everything that everybody else has said is exactly true. What a great place to stay! Friendly, helpful. Ming went out of his way to make sure we got the most out of not only their hostel, but out of Chengde. Not too many hostel owners care what kind of experience you have in the city you're in. They're just concerned with their hostel (if that). It was Christmas and they were having a party for her students and the next morning, when Ming was helping me out with some coffee, he gave my wife and I our Christmas cookies that they saved for us when we didn't turn up at the party. Who does that? It was great. I highly recommend this place. You'll save a bunch of money. There is no need to take a taxi from the temples or downtown to the hostel. The buses run right past the hostel and cost 1 RMB. It's not "centrally located" but it's easy to get to and it takes 10 minutes or so and it's within walking distance to the train station. Saves you money. Ask Ming about the place to eat he and his wife recommended to us. It's south of the mosque and city square and it's behind Powerhouse Gym and the KFCs. It had a beautiful wooden exterior with green/jade color lettering. It was fantastic. Not the best directions, but hey, we found it. Ate there twice. Chengde was great. The temples were much more impressive than the summer resort/palace. Maybe I missed something though.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I lived in Beijing for more than 1.5 years and it is always refreshing when you arrive at a hostel in China are given proper service. The hostel is new and the owners are extremely helpful and nice. Upon arrival they walked us 8 minutes to the hostel, provided us a map of the town, a spreadsheet of bus routes for tourist spots, and a half sheet of English/Mandarin translations for local food delicacies.

The amount of money you pay is low in comparison to the service and cleanliness of the hostel. Linens are fresh, bathrooms clean, common area is not cluttered. However, with such a valued price you will need to bring some earplugs for the nearby sounds of trains, a towel and toiletries, and flexible attitude if you decide to stay in the 10 bed dorm. This however is minimal for the opportunity to relax in the common courtyard with inexpensive drinks, surf the wifi, or talk with the owner about your next traveling location as he rearranges your outbound train tickets.

Thanks again for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Rosie & Ming are terrific owners, who go out of their way to help. The hostel was clean & comfortable. However, the train horns were loud.

Room Tip: The private room with bathroom was great
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Any one going to China would know the difficulties of traveling without speaking a word of Chinese... So for me checking in at Ming's Dynasty was the most important thing I did on my trip to China!!!

we were the very first customers at the hostel and the only customers there!!

The hostel is managed by super dual husband + Wife; Ming and Rosie. Ming local Chinese guy is what I can call a "get it done type of guy" anything we needed help with, Ming was quick to solve and able. Rosie on the other side, American I think? was very social and sweet really trying to make our stay there as comfortable as possible. They spoke perfect English and Chinese. They had great advice and handouts on the area like where to eat great cheap BBQ and where to sit for a beer next to the river complete with bus routes and maps ( and of course touristy sights)

But what we are most thankful from Ming's Dynasty is when my friend and I had problems with buying our train ticket to our next destination, they came with us to the Train station and bus station, Talk and bought our traveling tickets for our entire trip!! (thanks guys real life savers)

Although when we were there the hostel wasn't fully finished yet (am sure our insisting that we really needed a place to stay got them to move forward their opening day). But I have no doubt that when the place is finish it will be splendid.

All in all, It is a great hostel experience at a great price, the service is marvelous (truly is) location is walking distance from the Train Station, Facility is clean well managed. Owners are Awesome^^

Room Tip: I advice the rooms with private showers, they are clean nice and they have this hot light that keeps you warm during the cold nights
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends