“Love this place”
Review of The Giggling Tree

The Giggling Tree
Ranked #2 of 443 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The Giggling Tree was a fantastic little gem. We stayed here for one night but I am definitely coming back to Guilin and without doubt I will choose The Giggling Tree again. The hotel provides bikes for rent which you can ride around the countryside of Yangshou and appreciate its true beauty. You are also a bike ride away to main attractions such as moon mountain and Bayan Tree etc. The hotel provides free WIFI all around. I would recommend going to the dining area if you want to check emails as it is so relaxing. I wished I could of stayed here for two more days. The only thing I want to complain about was the water temperature and pressure in my room was not consistent but the location and view of this place makes up for it. I would highly recommend this place if you want a relaxed and chilled place to stay. Its so quite and beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ewoker

Reviewed June 5, 2011

The giggling tree was a relaxing retreat from some of the chaos of China.
Set in the beautiful countryside, I felt like I was retreating to a family cabin.
I was welcomed by staff like I was family.
Accommodations are clean, spacious, and simple, but more Western to standard.
Food is great, and the courtyard provides the perfect ambiance for meeting others traveling.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The Giggling Tree staff, services, and food were wonderful - a wonderful place to immerse oneself in rural China and enjoy the most beautiful part of that mountain area. My grandchildren were never bored. There is plenty to keep all generations entertained for days. GT has a wide range of resources for exploring the whole area. It really felt like our home away from home and was a very relaxing place to be. Next time I would spend at least a week there. They have done a beautiful restoration of the farm compound. It was so pleasant just relaxing in the courtyard. In 50 years of travel, this is at the top of my list of places to return to. Met a lot of interesting fellow travelers.

Room Tip: room with outside entrance - upper level
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank deedee075
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Excellent place to stay with young kids who can play with others. The courtyard is a great place to hang out, have a beer and chat to other guests or use free wifi. Our son was sick and the Dutch couple who run the Giggling Tree were very helpful in directing us to the local hospital with one of their staff to translate. Cycling, boat trips, tai chi, light show and other activities can all be arranged at reception. I preferred this rural setting to Yangshuo town but bring lots of mosquito repellent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank visionsofcody
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Without question the giggling tree is the best hotel/hostel/inn that I have ever stayed in during my travels. Its set in the countryside but the staff and guests are so pleasant it would still be easy to meet people for solo travelers. Its right in the middle of the karsts beside farmland. My mom teared up when leaving because the staff was so good to us. The hotel itself is a renovated farmhouse with modern facilities giving it an authentic, but comfortable feel. This is THE place to stay in Yanghshuo. It is a discredit to Lonely Planet that they have taken this out of their book. It used to be the top pick........smells fishy to me.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank budevfan
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I stayed at the Giggling Tree for 4 nights and it was all that I expected it to be & more! The location is just beautiful, as Yangshuo is busy and noisy..it is nice to escape all this and stay in a more relaxing and more beautiful place. And you can definitely relax here! The service is excellent as the staff is helpful with any questions that you may have. They arranged for us to go on a bambooraft on the (touristy!) yulong river, to go to the famous lightshow and gave us directions on where to go on the bike. Also important, the bikes were of good quality as they were brand new when we were here. Lest, but certainly not least, the food was delicious. Especially the western food..which was a good break from all the rice (but they also serve nice Chinese dishes). All in all, you can't go wrong staying at this lovely farmhouse and I would def. recommend it to anyone visiting Yangshuo.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CosmicgirlY
Reviewed May 18, 2011

PLUSSES

Wonderful hotel. The surroundings are just amazing! This area is mind-boggling beautiful. Excellent service. Good food. They speak several languages and good english, trust me: this is a Big advantage in China. Quite cheap as well. This is just a great hotel with very very good value for money and you will be extremely happy that you didn't book a hotel in the centre of Yangshuo. It is growing like a mushroom and although very nice to visit on your rented bike (do rent a bike), you don't want to stay there.
Oh yes, and the Tae Chi / Kung Fu school next door is just great!! It doesn't look like much, but the teacher there is the best I ever had!

MINUSES

* The rooms are well- tended and charming, and big enough, but luxury level is minimal (e.g. only cold water at the sink).
* Mattresses are very hard, we got used to them after couple of days, but...
* Wifi is present, but reception is not good and slow. This is quite annoying, investment in some Apple airport express might be a good idea
* Not enough shelfs in the room (yes, I am scraping the bottom for negatives here ;-)

Room Tip: Book in advance! Getting popular (rightfully so)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business