“Quiet corner of Yangshou”
Review of River View Inn

and 1 more site!
River View Inn
Ranked #21 of 475 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel is not a five star hotel, but what do you expect in a out of the way, high humidity area. We did love this hotels location next to the river and a short walk from the dock where our Cruise dropped us off. It is easy to get around this town. There are no cars, electric golf carts instead and what looks like homemade transportation. We walked. We did the Countryside tour through CITS from the Guilin airport and they kept us organized and spoke excellent english. We got great pictures on bamboo rafts and of water buffalo and the area was gorgeous with rice fields and the peaks. They made sure everyone had transportaion back to either Guilin or Yangshou. The spot where our hotel is is off the main road so it is quiet and we enjoyed tea in the morning on our balcony with the locals doing exercising on the River walk below. Very peaceful

Room Tip: The Li River Cruise was booked at the desk at the Guilin Airport and is a part of the CITS organizat...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for River View Inn

Reviewed May 12, 2012

While there are more upscale hotels, this hotel is just the kind I like. It is typical Chinese tropical style with open front and a great veranda overlooking the street and Li River.

I am writing this review from my room. I have been here for five days and have four more to go. I could not be happier. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar and as has been noted in another review...is just off West Street and all the chaos. It is quiet at night and all you normally hear is the sound of the river rushing past.

I have been in hotels all over China and this one is one of the best.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vnvet68
Reviewed May 9, 2012

It has been a couple of years since I have stayed at the River View Hotel.

The hotel is "comfortable" with it's open-air lobby and restaurant. The rooms have been painted are now a nice soft peach color rather than the former stark white - a nice improvement.

Breakfast in the restaurant is very good and inexpensive.

I had scheduled cooking classes at the Yangshuo Cooking School in the morning of my last day in Yangshuo, and an overnight train out of Guilin that evening. I knew I was going to want a shower after the class and before my overnight train. The hotel was very accommodating and allowed me to keep my room for a 1/2 day fee ($15).

The rooms have individual air conditioning with remote controls.

It is always a pleasure to stay at the River View!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We made the booking through booking.com and after looking at the hotels website sent them an email to discuss airport transfers from Guilin and to see if I could ask for a specific room in the "inn" part of the hotel. The hotel responded positively and arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport (a one and a half hour drive, 280 RMB each way) and gave us the deluxe double room that we requested.

The room (206) was spacious and clean and had a lovely balcony overlooking a small square with mountains in the near distance and the sound of the nearby river which you couldn't quite see for the trees, delightful non the less. The one downside of this room was that it sits above the restaurant and kitchen and so does get some noise from below in the morning.

We found the location of the Inn was perfect, sitting on a quiet corner next to the riverside promenade but only a 5 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of the main streets with their shops, bars and restaurants.

We had breakfast in the inn two mornings, costing 30-40 RMB for a breakfast set for one person which might include coffee/tea, juice, steak, eggs, pancake etc. We found that the prices in the inn we slightly cheaper than those in the main street restaurants. A 600ml bottle of local beer for example was 8RMB in the inn rather than 15RMB in the main town. Strangely a bottle of beer was cheaper than a cup of coffee, but this seemed to be the norm for the town.

We had a delightful 3 night stay in Yangshuo and I shall try to do some separate reviews, but the Lui Sanje light show should not be missed, the rafting down the Yulong river is lovely and a days cycling with a hotel guide was definitely an adventure, although spending more time on main roads than I had expected and the steep walk up Moon Hill was definitely worth it.

I cannot say how much I enjoyed Yangshuo and the inn was the perfect place from which to enjoy it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have just come back from a great little trip to Yangshuo, which was well worthwhile and ideal for a couple of days.

There is enough to keep you going for 2-3 days and if you stay “downtown” then for a basic hotel the River View Hotel is fine. Basic, but the heater worked, the room was clean, the bathroom usable, the balcony was great. Location 3 minutes to West Street for all the dining you will need.

However when leaving we were locked into the hotel as the Night Security guard did not know we were leaving early, even though reception had been informed and he was not at all “helpful.” My wife speaks fluent Chinese so there was no language barrier, just attitude from him!

As we were leaving before 7am we had to wake him up and from there on it went downhill. He ended up shouting at us, refusing to open the door (all bills had been paid) in the end I would imagine most of the hotel heard our problems. Sorry.

So I would recommend the hotel, but check to see if the security guard is still working and then make sure that you leave after reception come on duty.

Room Tip: This is a basic hotel, but good value for this category. Make sure you get one overlooking the river...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Woodsie61
Reviewed March 11, 2012

On a family trip in January 2011, we stayed here for five nights. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. The location was wonderful, close too all Yangzhuo has to offer, but far enough away to be comfortable. The staff was AMAZING. Sharon and the rest of the staff went above and beyond, including serving as our interpreter at the pharmacy when members of our group became ill. Easily the best place I've stayed in Asia. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Not able to find a hostel, so I booked this hotel with a balcony (mountains view) to pamper myself for three nights. The hotel is right beside the river with beautiiful mountains infront. When I arrived, the lobby hall was cold. The room is descent size with regular size tub and shower but the water and room take awhile to heat up. The balcony is large with a rocking chair and 4 seating table and chairs but "river view" wasn't much of a view, trees blocking it. Down side; only one plug, not close to the bed therefore you must charge you laptop or other device over night before use. The free computer is in the lobby and not comfortable when there's no heat. I found another hotel (Bamboo Resort) with better comfort (jacuzzii), and close to same price range and I checked out after the first night. Pros: the staff are very friendly and willing to help.

Room Tip: Always book one night and check out other hotels if it is worth staying longer at that location.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo