YMR is the perfect place to unwind after the hustle and crowds of China's big cities. The staff was great, food good and they even had good beer. The best time is early in the morning and later in the day/evening when the river rafts stop running in a steady parade down the river.
The place is rustic but affordable, if you expect a spotless 4 or 5 star hotel like in Beijing or Shanghai you will be disappointed. However if you have traveled off the beaten track before you will find it very nice.
The Chinese are very new at hosting foreign tourists and still are learning. One example is litter, the hotel grounds are well kept but the river and surrounding area have a lot of litter. I am old enough to remember when there was a big litter problem in the U.S. in the 1960's and 1970's so I can understand how it takes time for a society to realize and work on these problems. Given the amount of money flowing into the region and the fact the entire area is promoted as an eco-travel natural wonder location it would seem that the local government or resort owners would hire a few local people to pick up the litter in the common areas and river.
However by Chinese standards the Yangshou area is a natural wonder recreation/resort area. With over a billion people all traveling around and discovering their own country any nice place will attract a lot of people.
Spend at least 3 nights to unwind and decompress. Schedule your visit to be at the end of your trip to China. Take the shuttle into Yangshou for a little shopping and to try the food. Once you have your fill of Yangshou grab a taxi back and as the city melts away you will really appreciate how the YMR is not to close but not to far from Yangshou.
While at the resort get out and walk or ride a bike and explore the surrounding area. It will be perhaps your only opportunity to choose your own path to follow on your China trip. If you want to float the river (either by kayak or guided bambo raft) make sure to do it early in the morning 7 or 8 am to avoid the crowds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat overlooks the pristine Yulong River and surrounding karst limestone towers in the heart of the Yangshuo countryside. We are one hour from Guilin, just down the road from Impression Liu San Jie and a quick ride to West Street. We are American owned and locally run, established in 2000. Our accommodation, food and staff, not to mention our beautiful surroundings are highly rated by Frommers and other trusted guides. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Yangshuo Mountain Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel Yangshuo County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel County