So many times, I see beautiful photos and descriptions of places, only to be fine it is less than I had imagined. Mountain Retreat is truly, actually all it appears to be!
Our party is myself, my 7 year old and my visiting 77 year old parents. We have 2 rooms, one with a king bed, the other with 2 doubles. Both have balconies with comfortable cane chairs and table....perfect for coffee in the morning and a glass of wine at night.
The rooms are large, beds comfortable, AC and ceiling fan, a DVD player and tv (DVD only), wifi everywhere. There is a hot water pot, reusable water bottles (with free refill water in reception area) and instant coffee and tea provided. Bathroom in our particular rooms are near entry with separate shower, toilet and sink so people can be doing different things at same times. Plenty of hot water and good pressur. There are a mchoice of room types. Ours happen to be bottom floor, bit raised up a bit, private balcony withstunningviews of river. We also could open the divider between balconies for adjoining space which was perfect for us. Our rooms are a pleasant blend of modern convinces with simple traditional decor. Calm and soothing.
This is a smaller property, well kept, right on the river, stunning views all around. I don't think there is a bad view to be had. We are here during non peak (nov.) which is beautiful. Warm but not hot, mix of sunny and misty days. There are2 other families with small children, couples of all ages and small groups of Chinese (look to be non tours). There is not much on the property for kids, but then again, most people come to Yangshou to go out and explore,only coming back late afternoon or evening.
The staff here is exceptional. I say that as a foreigner living in China who has experienced all levels of hotel and service. Nothing appears to be too much for the English speaking staff, and all with a smile. They have arranged our tours and various transportation, been very helpful with suggestions, and even had some medicine availible when Grandma was under the weather one day. Everything with a smile and pleasant attitude.
The food is nice, but not exceptional, but when eaten outside with the stunning view, who could complain!? It is also reasonably priced considering it is a nicer hotel.
Activities we did: raft ride down the stretch in front of Mountain Retreat. We chose to get off right at the hotel shortening ourridea bit, but good option for Grandma. About 1.5 hours of Good Fun! I spent 4 rmb for a water shoter, for sale at launch point, which my 7 year old loved. Many others on the river also had, and it was fun watching the gleeful Chinese tourists having water fights. At various points there are photographers. We did not find it annoying. We stepped off our rafts after the first meter drop (raise your legs and sit one the lift vest to keep your bottom dry if you are a heavies load!) to bought a set of pictures...hilarious to see our expressions before, during and after! It was only 15 rmb a photo...memories...priceless!
Day trip to Xing Ping. I already did a write up of that, so you might look there. Fantastic. Stunning.
Impressions light show. Amazing. Well worth money. We chose B1 Cain seats for Grandma and grandpa. Good choice for them. The B2 seats looked also good, green plastic chairs with backs, just as good a view if you get upper portion.
This is much longer review than I have ever written. A testament to how amazing this area is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat overlooks the pristine Yulong River and surrounding karst limestone towers in the heart of the Yangshuo countryside. We are one hour from Guilin, just down the road from Impression Liu San Jie and a quick ride to West Street. We are American owned and locally run, established in 2000. Our accommodation, food and staff, not to mention our beautiful surroundings are highly rated by Frommers and other trusted guides. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Yangshuo Mountain Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel Yangshuo County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel County