“More than just a molehill next to a mountain”

Yangshuo Mountain Retreat
Ranked #3 of 438 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Shanghai, China
“More than just a molehill next to a mountain”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

A charming hotel in an exquisite location, the Yansghou Mountain Retreat is a great place to chill out and take in the scenery. I stayed there with a friend last weekend and it definitely lived up to expectations

We loved: the view, the peaceful setting, the staff (in China!), the service, the mountain bikes we hired, the menu

We didn't love: the kids in the room next door who woke us up at 7am every morning, the toilet that didn't accept paper, climbing over the hotel gates to get back in when we stayed out late one night

Room Tip: A river view is a must. It is a location that few hotels in the world can match
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank charliewhittaker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at YMR for four nights in August. We arrived quite late on our first night but were still greeted with a smile and welcome drinks (plus their kitchen was still open, what a relieve!). We stayed in a smaller side balcony room (which the hotel website now advertises as a single person room) so there could have been more storing space for our luggage, but as young backpackers it didn't really bother us. The room was super clean and I loved the rustic feeling! We even had a "rain" shower in our bathroom and had a river view from the balcony. The AC is very good and effective, it really did its job in the August heat.

As dozens of other travellers have said, the surroundings of YMR are to die for. The yard is simply beautiful and there are lots of tables and chairs for hanging out. You could easily spend your day just sitting in the yard and enjoy the picturesque view of the river and the surrounding mountains (at least that's what we did!). I don't think you can find a view like this in any other hotel.

We rented bikes from the hotel, which I totally recommend. It takes only half an hour to bike to Yangshuo city but we only did that once because there are so many other biking tracks to explore! We also went to see the Liu San Jie Show for which the hotel organized us tickets. They even asked us if we wanted to have dinner after the show (normally they would have already closed the kitchen). All in all, the hotel staff is very friendly, helpful and polite.

The food is great and the breakfast sets they offer are super great. But the most delicious treat YMR offers is their chocolate milkshake! I think I had at least two of those per day..

All in all, one of the best hotel stays I have ever had. Fully recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
Ushuaia, Argentina
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The whole team show great attention and dedicated service. we will definitively come back. highly recommended to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sil123321
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Overall a great hotel, amazing food (id recommend the beer fish) and very helpful, friendly english speaking staff who are more than happy to help organise activities for you.

The only problem was with the room, it had a few problems: the toilet door would not stay shut, it would just open again, the TV did not work, and if we went of the balcony and closed the door it would lock us out, although they sent someone to come and fix this the problem remained. But the quality of the rest of the hotel made up for this, would definitely visit again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Stayed at the YMR for 4 nights.

Had the hotel arrange a driver to pick up my family in Guilin. The drive down the highway was smooth and fast. We arrived in YMR after 45 minutes. Upon arrival, we were dropped off at the entrance (on a hill) and the driver helped us with some of our luggage. There is a long walk to the reception in the main building.

Upon arrival, we were given some drinks and a towel and rested outside while our passports were copied. We confirmed our booking and were given a key to our room. The young lady walked us to our room. We had a large (2 King Bed) room on the 2nd floor with a large terrace and a wonderful view. Bed was actually very comfortable and was not bothered by any noise. Only negative was that the terrace is shared with the room next door. There is a divider but not as private as we/they had hoped. Also, they were doing work on the room next door so we had workers coming up and down for a day on our second night.

Otherwise the room had a large dresser (electronic safe enclosed), 2 A/C units which worked very well in the heat, and a small fridge. A tv and dvd player (lots of dvds at reception) but we were too tired to stay up and watch movies. No work table which in our case was good. There is free wifi throughout the hotel although reception was spotty from our room. There are 2 PCs by the reception that you can use.

We booked several tours with the front desk. We enjoyed a kayaking trip and my son enjoyed the bamboo rafting trip that you see for most of the day floating down the river in front of the hotel.

No swimming pool but we did swim in the river which was nice and refreshing after a long day of hiking. As others indicated, they do have bicycles to rent but check them before riding out. Otherwise, plenty of folk ride their bicycles around town and to some of the popular spots. We rode around quite a bit and had no problems. My wife got to rock climb a few times which she thoroughly enjoyed. Head into town and there are plenty of climbing shops.

Had breakfast each morning at the hotel which was nice. Also had dinner a few times (one night Chinese, the other Western). Food was ok considering the location. Also tried the restaurant at the sister hotel for Italian. Location/View of Moon Hill was nice and the food good.

Go into Yangshuo to stock up on snacks for your hikes. Very touristy but lots of restaurants and supermarkets. About 30RMB by taxi.

As in other locations by water, the bugs do start biting after sun down so bring bug repellant or buy some.

Overall, we found the stay to be relaxing after visiting so many large cities in China. Go to see the scenery and take it easy. One comment on the previous poster about credit cards. We paid our final bill in cash but we were told you could pay with a CC but they added a surcharge of 3% if I remember correctly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Oregon
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We booked 4 nights in a River view family room with a balcony, but actually only got to stay for 3 nights since our flight was delayed. For that short time, our stay was wonderful! It was so relaxing to sit beside the Yulong River & lazily soak up sun while waiting for our meals. I was happy that there was enough vegetarian choices. Having traveled around China, I've noticed a lack of vegetarian food choices or if they say it's vegetarian it still comes with bits of meat in the sauce or small shrimp sprinkled on top of the vegetables. At this hotel we didn't have to worry.

The majority of the staff were very friendly & helpful. I am giving a rating of 4 instead of 5, however, because of 2 waitresses that were not overly friendly & we did get some of our food orders wrong. And also due to the bathroom situation in our room. Firstly, the door would not close at all. If we did get it to close, then slowly it would come ajar. We had to place our trash can against the door to keep it closed. And secondly, the curtains that covered the window so that one would not be able to look into the bathroom are a little too small. If we pulled the curtains to one side to hide the toilet, it would expose the shower. I think YMR needs to replace the curtains to fuller ones so that it will not be at all easy to see inside the bathroom from anywhere in the room.

Yet I would come back to this hotel if ever I got another chance to. It was the best hotel with reasonable prices that we have had compared to all the other hotels in China that we've experienced.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
RonaldYangshuo, Guest Relations Manager at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for your review and comments.

To keep delivering the best, friendly service, we have regular staff meetings and I wil bring in your comments at the restaurant meeting later this week.

As for the curtain for the bathroom window, you are right that in a few rooms the size of the curtain might be just a bit too tight, so new, bigger ones are on the way. Also the door is being fixed.

Thanks for staying with us and welcome again if you come to Yangshuo.

Kind Regards,

Ronald.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I didn't want to leave...

I've stayed twice now - and although I enjoyed my first stay a lot more, the resort remains one of my favourite destinations in China.

The setting is idyllic, the staff friendly, the service good (with room for improvement IMHO), the food delicious - and I love the idea that my hard earned money is being spent in a business that is giving valuable assistance to the local community, and a very worth-while charity.

Both times I stayed, I also visited the Lunar restaurant in the evening. If you decide to go (and you should), be sure to get there before sunset - you will not regret it (YMR offers a free shuttle-bus service from the hotel to the Lunar restaurant daily at 5.45pm). It is absolutely delightful - breathtaking scenery - and the food is excellent (trust me - it's hard to find places that do western food so well in China - or in Asia in general).

The resort is very eco-friendly - which means it does not have all the trappings and trimmings of a five-star hotel (but at the same time you are NOT paying the price of a five-star hotel). Room service is not provided, but the staff go out of their way to help you if they can (they were quite happy to bring a bottle of wine to my room). They do not like to take food to the room but for very good reason - it would likely lead to columns of ants parading through your little slice of heaven - no thanks!

All in all, I found the resort a difficult place to leave (and that is quoting my friend who stayed with me). I know that this is due chiefly to the gorgeous scenery which envelopes the resort - but also the resort itself, the service from the staff, and the gorgeous rooms contributed heavily.

I initially posted a review of YMR several weeks ago, but after due consideration, and a very pro-active response from the management, I decided to update my review. The initial one did not fairly take into consideration the many outstanding features of the resort (as given above).

My initial complaints were of a noisy group that awoke us quite early on a Wednesday morning. My advice to the management would be to ask large groups (20+) to keep the noise to a minimum in the mornings - and if possible - away from other guests bedrooms. But to be honest, this was a complaint of the third party - not YMR or its staff members.

I'm glad I stayed in this resort. I've been to Yangshuo twice - and stayed at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat twice. If I ever return to Yangshuo again, I'll also return to YMR.

Thanks for the great experience YMR - keep it up!