“Great rooftop, bad rooms”

Monkey Jane's Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 433 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the location, price, & rooftop view. But the room was mildewy & stank. This was a common experience according to others staying there at the same time as I did.

Staff was nothing special. I think the people that really enjoy monkey jane's get a lot out of the tour packages & activities available there. But I would never stay again; there are about 100 other options.

Stayed: December 2013
There are newer reviews for Monkey Jane's Guesthouse

Reviewed October 9, 2013

So much fun staying here. The central spot for this small beautiful village. Has beer pong, poker, family meals and all the staff are wonderful. It is so cheap too, like £2 a night. Incredible! The only place to stay in Yang Shoa

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The room I had was disgusting. I stayed in a double bunk room on my own. The bottom bunk was very dirty so I took the top bunk, but there was water droplets on the ceiling right above me. Lots of damp in the room. Luckily I didn't get wet. The floor was like kitchen tiling and again, dirty. This room looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. The only plus point would be that the fan was very powerful and therefore kept the temperature comfortable during the night. I think I got the worst room in the place so I would recommend staying there, just not in the room I had. Right next to the bathroom. Oh, we also had a power cut due to the fuse box outside the hostel catching fire so I had to shower in the dark after a long day out cycling. The rooftop bar is awesome though. Really good backpacker vibe and cheap booze. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Recommended by a famous travel book, this hostel turned out to show how these prominent travel books could spoil a place. Mold everywhere, indifferent attitude, obsolete decoration, shabby condition, weak shower, extremely noisy and poor internet connection. I almost couldn't think of any positives about this hostel, perhaps some would prefer to have a joint-smoking bar on the top of your room? Not that much for me.

It was absolutely annoying when a group of tipsy party guys came down at 2am and knocked your door. The staff didn't seem to even give a damn on it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2013

we booked for four nights at this hostel due to our friends recommendation.

the room want that cheap and it smelt like someone had died in it. there were electric cables hanging everywhere and the walls had fungus growing all over them. the bed was comfy but the sheets were damp and the airconditioning was set at freezing and you had no control over it so it was the antarctic or the sahara.

we left after one night however due to the apparent problem of bed bugs NO HOTELS WILL TAKE US. they are all fed up with the hostel not doing anything about it. the people are unfriendly. the roof top bar is nice however that is about it. save your money time and give the bed bugs somethuing else to eat. stay well clear.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hostel is just simpel, no luxury, no design, not very clean. But the location and the rooftopbar are superb! Within 20 meters you are in the middle of town, with a lot of (touristic) shops, restaurants and bars. I liked Yangshou (town and scenery) most during my trip through China, but it is more touristic than typically China. The hostel is sort of party hostel, so be aware ot that.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My motivation here is to provide a genuine account of what to expect, I'm not too sure that some reviews or scores I've seen here are a true reflection, I would also question their authenticity...

Firstly let me start by saying I'm reasonable well travelled and have always used budget accommodation as this is the best place to meet people and get a real sense of what's happening etc. I'm not precious, but I do expect a certain basic level, which shouldn't be too hard to meet.

Monkey Jane's is located up a dirty alley where we had to negotiate building materials and piled rubbish before we found reception - I can see beyond this, so not too worrying.

The lady who dealt with us on reception was not the friendliest person we'd met on our travels in China, however she did process us reasonably quickly. The building is in a very poor state of repair, obvious attempts with a 'lick of paint' had been tried to brighten the place up, however it needs more than this. The room was OK in size but that's where the positives end. There were exposed electrics adjacent to the shower head, two or three of the electrical appliances in the room had exposed copper and were held together with black tape, this is an accident waiting to happen. The bedding was clean but it did stay damp, I think there's a serious ventilation issue in the building because of it's location - A/C and / or an open window couldn't resolve this issue.

The advertised 'roof top' garden didn't live up to it's billing - In reality it's an area on the roof where there's a small bar and some random seating, the view is OK if you lift your head above the parapet, it's more a smoking area than roof garden...

My review gets one star because of the atmosphere an fun we observed whilst enjoying a beer up there watching the 'beer pong'

Whilst I accept we only paid @ £9 per night, (90 RNB/Yuan) there's comparably priced accommodation which is better located and of a much higher standard.

I would recommend Monkey Jane’s to view the Beer Pong, but that's it - It really isn't ideal for anything other than emergency accommodation if you can't find anything else, I certainly wouldn't recommend a stay unless it undergoes substantial improvements.

Trip Advisor is only useful if a fair and honest account is given, we rely heavily on it when making decisions with our travels, we're of the opinion false reviews have been placed and we want to avoid anyone being duped in to booking when there's much better options elsewhere in Yangshou.

If you want a clean, serviceable room and a good nights sleep in a dry bed then this place isn't for you.

If you're permanently stoned or drunk, like sleeping with the beat of music until 3am, and want to run the risk of being electrocuted then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple