“2 Great masters, and great first experience in Taichi”

Yangshuo Traditional T'ai Chi School
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a traditional tai chi school, based in the beautiful area of Yangshuo. Our school is in a genuine Qing dynasty house in a small farming village at the entrance to the famous Yu-long scenic area. We offer training to all levels of students from those wishing to take there first steps into learning Tai Chi with no previous knowledge. And those looking for a chance to refine and study under true Tai chi masters in China, in a traditional old school enviroment.
Boston, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“2 Great masters, and great first experience in Taichi”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Had a few hours Taichi lessons (extended introduction) with master Ping, and a little with master Kim as well. Not only was I very happy to meet such great, nice people, but the Taichi was much more interesting (and challenging) than expected.
Definitely recommend visiting their beautiful school (in the countryside in Yangshuo), can't imagine a better place than there for a taichi course (except maybe on the top of some huge mountain as in the movies :)

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Cindy C

Bangalore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great guys, cool school”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I did a week-long course. Ping and Kim were great teachers - fun and focused. I highly recommend the all-inclusive sleep in the bedrooms in the school and eat with the family package.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank DougH444
Mississauga, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I strongly recommend this school.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I practice Tai Chi for over 15 years,and with my experience
I can strongly recommend Kim and Ping school as the best .
I spent with them one month.
Atmosphere in the school is very friendly,surroundings beautiful,
teaching professional and prices very affordable.
You don't need anything better.
Zbigniew....Canada,Poland.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank zhryniew
Atlanta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Engaging Taichi lessons in a beautiful environment.”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I grew up watching martial arts movies and felt that I had to at least learn some basics after living in China for almost five years. My husband and I signed up for 3 full days of lessons and we also opted to stay at the school and have all our meals there. It was one of the best things we did during our 2-month travel and wished that we stayed for at least a week instead. Since we only had 3 days, we focused on learning the Chen style 18 forms (not sure if this is the right English translation)

- The Taichi lessons:
Ping was our teacher and he was great! He had an acute sense of every student's ability and pace so even though we sometimes had lessons where there were 1 or 2 new students, he masterfully balanced everything as I know this is sometimes a concern because we would not know who the other students would be. His English is good and instructions are clear. He pays attention to the details but can also read you well enough so that he doesn't overwhelm you by trying to perfect everything. He also provides you with good context so you have a better understanding of the different moves you are learning. Ping also has a very pleasant personality so in between lessons it was fun drinking tea and chatting with him.

- Staying at the school
It is a short drive from Yangshuo (about 10 - 15 mins) and located in a little village. We really enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle and the school itself is in a renovated Qing dynasty courtyard, which was quite pretty. The other teacher, Kim has an older brother who is a sort of groundskeeper and cook at the school. After being on the road for so long, it was such a nice relief to have home-cooked food that was simple but delicious with lots of vegetables! If you are a vegetarian, you can let them know and they'll prepare accordingly for you as well. When not practicing Taichi, we took pleasure in drinking tea with the teacher and other students and enjoying our meals on the rooftop. The room is basic but clean. Make sure to bring your own toiletries and towel otherwise you could also buy these items in Yangshuo town.

Overall, we really enjoyed staying at the school and taking Taichi lessons. We highly recommend it as a relaxing vacation where you also get some exercise in and learn more about Chinese culture. The basic Qigong and Taichi steps we learned were very useful and can be easily practiced at home. One week would be the ideal time so you can finish learning the 18 forms and also have some time to explore the surrounding villages which we heard were beautiful. Would definitely return in the future if we get the chance!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Geeps28
San Diego, California, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“One of the best things on our trip”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I went for Tai Chi lessons with Master Ping for four mornings, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. I walked the mile or so down the country road from Tea Cozy hotel. It was a great way to wake up and warm up for Tai Chi. Ping is patient, kind, and he speaks excellent English. I was a total novice to Tai Chi. I highly recommend these classes!

Visited September 2013