“Engaging Taichi lessons in a beautiful environment.”

Yangshuo Traditional T'ai Chi School
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a traditional tai chi school, based in the beautiful area of Yangshuo. Our school is in a genuine Qing dynasty house in a small farming village at the entrance to the famous Yu-long scenic area. We offer training to all levels of students from those wishing to take there first steps into learning Tai Chi with no previous knowledge. And those looking for a chance to refine and study under true Tai chi masters in China, in a traditional old school enviroment.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I grew up watching martial arts movies and felt that I had to at least learn some basics after living in China for almost five years. My husband and I signed up for 3 full days of lessons and we also opted to stay at the school and have all our meals there. It was one of the best things we did during our 2-month travel and wished that we stayed for at least a week instead. Since we only had 3 days, we focused on learning the Chen style 18 forms (not sure if this is the right English translation)

- The Taichi lessons:
Ping was our teacher and he was great! He had an acute sense of every student's ability and pace so even though we sometimes had lessons where there were 1 or 2 new students, he masterfully balanced everything as I know this is sometimes a concern because we would not know who the other students would be. His English is good and instructions are clear. He pays attention to the details but can also read you well enough so that he doesn't overwhelm you by trying to perfect everything. He also provides you with good context so you have a better understanding of the different moves you are learning. Ping also has a very pleasant personality so in between lessons it was fun drinking tea and chatting with him.

- Staying at the school
It is a short drive from Yangshuo (about 10 - 15 mins) and located in a little village. We really enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle and the school itself is in a renovated Qing dynasty courtyard, which was quite pretty. The other teacher, Kim has an older brother who is a sort of groundskeeper and cook at the school. After being on the road for so long, it was such a nice relief to have home-cooked food that was simple but delicious with lots of vegetables! If you are a vegetarian, you can let them know and they'll prepare accordingly for you as well. When not practicing Taichi, we took pleasure in drinking tea with the teacher and other students and enjoying our meals on the rooftop. The room is basic but clean. Make sure to bring your own toiletries and towel otherwise you could also buy these items in Yangshuo town.

Overall, we really enjoyed staying at the school and taking Taichi lessons. We highly recommend it as a relaxing vacation where you also get some exercise in and learn more about Chinese culture. The basic Qigong and Taichi steps we learned were very useful and can be easily practiced at home. One week would be the ideal time so you can finish learning the 18 forms and also have some time to explore the surrounding villages which we heard were beautiful. Would definitely return in the future if we get the chance!

3  Thank Geeps28

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I went for Tai Chi lessons with Master Ping for four mornings, and I couldn't have enjoyed it more. I walked the mile or so down the country road from Tea Cozy hotel. It was a great way to wake up and warm up for Tai Chi. Ping is patient, kind, and he speaks excellent English. I was a total novice to Tai Chi. I highly recommend these classes!

2  Thank Robert V
Reviewed August 19, 2013

i studied a lot of things about chinese region and cultures, i took part in activities or games. i feel that T'ai Chi is useful subject. it brings healthy for people. if i have opportunity, i will spend a lot of time traning about T'ai Chi.

2  Thank Johnny B
Reviewed July 31, 2013

When i came to Yangshuo, i met several people who suggested me not to stay too short time in this beautiful place and to take my time, if i really want to learn Taichi...i didn't want to, because i wanted to travel around China. But in the end, i enjoyed it so much, that i stayed - and once i wanted to travel further, i extended my stay - again and again until my last day. It's not only Taichi, the living in this great traditional building, the delicious food and the great location in the quite and beautiful Villige close to the river. It was more the way, Kim and Ping are teaching and acting. They both are such great persons, help wherever they can, try to do their best to let you get as much knowledge about Taichi, kungfu, Qigong and chinese culture en general. They are amazing and i really love their way of humor :) it made me feel like i was at home. and some day, i will and need to go back to this "home" :) i'm looking forward to see you very soon! :o) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

6  Thank lena-89k
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I found the school all of a sudden and unexpectedly during my Sunday bike tour around YangShuo. Stopped for curiosity, and ended meeting Ping, the school teacher and Master. He invited me to spend two hours talking and learning some TaiChi basics, on a one to one experience. I like to discover new people that could teach me and help me understand life, and Ping was one of them. During those 2 hours that definitely seemed minutes, I not only learned the physical basics of this martial art, but its philosophy and life basics on Yin Yan.
Ping helped me think about TaiChi Chuan as the real chinese martial art, together with his knowledge of the important philosophy that is behind this practice.
I would like to recommend his school for those who want to have a truly experience of chinese TaiChi Chuan, with a professional Master, in a beautiful natural surrounding!.
Juan