“Amazing and Unforgettable!”

Ranked #2 of 448 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Devizes, UK
“Amazing and Unforgettable!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our first visit to the Chinese mainland and we were planning to stay for one week. We had to visit the Great Wall and Terracotta Warriors and were looking for a third, quieter, place to stay. After watching a few episodes of BBC's Wild China we decided on Guillin - and my wife found the Tea Cozy on TripAdvisor with it's amazingly good reviews.
We flew in from Hong Kong in the afternoon and were picked up from the airport by a driver arranged through Amy at the Tea Cozy. On the hour or so drive from the airport the roads started off being wide and modern and as we went further they became narrower, dustier and more pot-holed - as the karst mountain scenery became more and more spectacular. In the end we were beginning to wonder were we'd come to but when we arrived and were greeted at the Tea Cozy our worries disappeared.
The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, and we were shown to our Deluxe Suite which immediately blew us away with it's amazing wooden bathtub, traditional Chinese decor and the stunning view of the limestone karst mountains from our balcony.
We ate at the hotel on our first evening and the food was so amazing that we didn't eat anywhere else during our stay - simply the best Chinese food I'd ever had.
During our stay we arranged a visit to the light show at Yangshou, bicycles and a bamboo raft ride for one day, a sightseeing tour to a tea plantation and views of the Lee River on the next day and our return journey to the airport - all through Amy, an amazing bundle of energy who just couldn't do enough to help.
We felt that the area around the hotel gave a taste of the real China - a million miles from the pollution and traffic of Beijing. It's in a rural area and we saw many people working in the fields during the day, walking their cattle along the road or selling their produce in stalls by the road. Everybody we met was friendly and they were all happy to say 'hello'.
All of the staff in the Tea Cozy were extremely helpful and made our stay a real pleasure. Curry drove us to the airport for our onward flight and gave us a potted history of the hotel on the journey.
Of all the places we visited during our trip to China this is the one we would be most likely to return to.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Suite is amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had booked Tea Cozy due to the glowing reviews on tripadviisor. I was really looking forward to a fabulous stay but left with mixed feelings. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I guess the first mistake I made was not booking through the website. It was a choice between Yangshuo Moondance Hotel and this one. The reviews for Moondance did mention that bicycles provided were old so I choose to stay here. I wanted the special offer for 4 nights stay which gave a one way free transport to/from airport. The tour guide I hired said she could book the hotel for me. I somehow missed the condition for the special promotion being only valid if booked through their website.

It was only when we checked in that I realized my mistake. No free transport, no free bicycles and no tea ceremony! My tour guide had already confirmed one way free transport to airport during our earlier emails so I guess that will be coming out of her own pocket. No wonder she was so keen to make the booking on my behalf - commissions! I did plead with the staff to consider at least letting us have the free bicycles as I could see there were a lot of bicycles parked opposite the hotel. She said she will check and let us know. They did allow us to use the bicycles during our stay.

We had booked the family room on the fourth floor. There was no lift but we didn't mind walking. There were 2 rooms sharing a bathroom with a balcony. The rooms were a bit dark and the bathroom darker. There was no place to place toiletries at the sink area. it would be nice to have a mirror in the rooms as well. Since there was a kettle and cups, we had expected tea or coffee bags as well. Anyway, we had brought our own beverages but no tea spoon! The view from the room overlooking farmlands and karst mountains was everything we expected and we didn't mind the shortcomings.

During our 4 nights stay, we did not make use of the tour service provided by the hotel as we had our tour guide. We did make a booking for a tai-chi lesson through the hotel. We were charged RMB180 for a 2 hour class. We ate all our dinners at the hotel and we can attest that the food is excellent. We tried the beer fish and it was really tasty and creamy, The vegetables were sweet and freshly picked from the gardens.

The girls were friendly and helpful. We especially got to know Bella and Amy and of course the chef! They seemed so nice and warm. Bella showed me beautiful photos of her trip to the rice terrace in October and her trek from Ping'an to Dazhai, something that I really wanted to do.

Events during our last day made me have second thoughts of this place. Amy spoke to the tour guide in Mandarin in my presence asking her to tell me to pay the hotel by that evening. The tour guide then spoke in English to me to pass me the message. I might not be able to speak Mandarin but that doesn't mean I am stupid! I understood what she said perfectly and I was kind of cheesed off after that. She doesn't need an interpreter to ask me to settle my bill, duh! I know they have to pay a commission to the tour guide but she doesn't have to take it out on me.

The next morning morning to the airport. Even though they said they had noted it down there was no one to help us with our bags. We ladies had to lug our heavy suitcases down 4 flights of stairs on our own as there was no one to assist us. The boy who was sleeping in the hall woke up after we were done with our bags to unlock the front door. So much for service! Sorry, no tips this time.

So I am having mixed feelings about my stay there. I did not meet Richard or Curry as they were away during our stay. I will be returning to this area but unsure if I will stay here again. I guess if Bella and the chef is still around, I might consider. Make sure you book through their website so you don't get second class treatment!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Richard c, Owner at Yangshuo Tea Cozy, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
First thanks very much to stay at our hotel. Sorry about left you a mixed feeling, i was on holiday, not in Yangshuo, i just came back to home and to get to know about it. Your tour guide help you booked 4 nights at our deluxe family room, it’s a same price that we give to your guide or you booked direct through us, no any different.
We did renovation again in last December, we changed all the lamps, now all our rooms had very nice light, also we fit on a towel rack and a small area for toiletries in the bath room, in the room we add tea spoon at the free tea bag area, thanks very much for these lovely suggestion.
We did arrange a private Taichi lesson for you at Yima Taichi school, they charged 90 RMB / hour. Thanks for enjoy our food, we have a organic vegetables garden just near hotel, we pick fresh vegetables for our guest everyday, also the guest can come pick vegetables.
Amy spoke to your tour guide want you pay for your bill at previous evening, because next morning you will leave here very early around 6:300AM, we don’t want you to be rush in the morning for all the bills, we hope this way not make a mixed feeling for you. Sorry about the bell boy sleep deeply in that early morning, we already talked to our bell boy not to do this way next time after we saw your review.
Through all we sorry to hear that you had a mixed feelings during your stay in here, but we are warmly welcome you next time here.
Richard, Curry, Amy and Tea Cozy team.
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the family suite for 4 nights. Suite was a 2-adjoining rooms sharing 1 bathroom. Rooms were clean and spacious. Bathroom, however, was a bit too dark for our liking (Curry, the operator, said this is being addressed shortly)
The highlight of our stay was the staff. Staff was attentive, polite and welcoming... Always with smile on their face and quick on their feet, ready to lend a hand with whatever we need (including catching a toad that had gone walkabout from tree outside our balcony into the bathroom)
Food was excellent (we had breakfast and dinner and we also asked them to pack us some food-to-go as we had to leave to be at the airport very early). Laundry service was very reasonably priced (by the kilograms)
In all, we had a very comfortable stay at the Yangshuo Tea Cozy.

Stayed October 2013
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Checklist............beautiful surroundings - check; helpful and friendly staff - check; fantastic scenery - check; good value - check: The list could go on and on but to keep it as simple as possible this is a small haven of luxury right in the middle of a rural Chinese community.

We arranged with the hotel for a taxi to collect us from Guilin airport purely for ease of travel. It was very reasonably priced with a friendly driver. the journey itself was quite enjoyable with lovely views out the window. Nearing the hotel was a bit more eye-opening with the small, winding roads full of cycles, scooters and tractors!

The hotel itself is amazing. Our room was a superior king suite with wonderful views from a private balcony across the fields to the karst peaks. A perfect spot for a relaxing beer and chillout! The food is excellent and very good value with lots of choices.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The rooms are adequate, spacious, clean, comfortable. What makes this place great is the staff. They give you the feeling of a big family welcoming you to their home and not just a place to crash for the night. For a tourist, coming back to a welcoming home after a long day is especially comforting.

Amy was the lady who helped me all the way, from email communications before arrival to the trip advices and arrangements, almost like a personal tour guide, so that I, the lazy tourist can just sit back, relax and enjoy the trip.

Ocean View, Delaware
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful place with people who serve with pride and passion. Nice rooms in a charming inn, with endless support from a knowledgable staff that stands ready to assist and also serves as guides to the many activities in the area.

Their kitchen is something else, breakfasts, lunch and dinner were all excellent and we ended up having most of a our meals on site because of how good they were.

Richard, one of the owners is a trained Chef and we also signed up for lessons from him on Chinese tea preparation, fascinating, and also cooking which was hands on from start to finish. The finish being a dinner you helped prepare. A former guide in the area, before he became an inn keeper, Richard also found the time to serve as our "host on wheels," using his intimate knowledge of the back roads and area to take us to great spots for photographing the rivers and unique mountain range that envelopes the town.

The Tea Cozy Inn is truly incomparable and one of the highlights of our 17 days in China. Having stayed in many excellent Inns across the U.S., Europe, and Asia, I must say that this humble little place is remarkable and definitely worth visiting.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We loved our stay at the Tea Cosy. It is beautifully located in the countryside away from the heavy traffic flow you experience in most of China. The hotel is only a few minutes drive in a taxi into the main town of Yangshuo or better still use one of the hotel bikes to ride in.

The rooms are spacious and in addition to a well equipped bathroom there is also a large bamboo bath in the foyer of your room. The bedroom is a separate room from the foyer/dressing area and the bathroom is the other side of the foyer. A good sized balcony off the bedroom provides beautiful views of the mountains and surrounding farms.

The staff are friendly and helpful. Their English is good. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel welcome and nothing seems too much trouble for them. On arriving we commented on the warm day and we're immediately given freshly squeezed orange juice.

The meals are excellent and there is a good choice of traditional Chinese meals and western meals. Try the stuffed egg plant; it is perfection.

There is a small bar in a room behind the reception area. The price for drinks is reasonable. There is a dining room with fireplace adjoining the bar and ample tables outside in the garden.

This is a wonderful hotel for a relaxing few days or for exploring the countryside.

1 Thank plantagenon