“Unique, beautiful, personal”
Review of Ecofarm Lodge

Ecofarm Lodge
Ranked #26 of 436 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Be prepared, Ecofarm is still a work in progress - half the building is to be constructed at a later date and there is no reception area as such - but this is what makes it special. The rooms that are available are amazing - spacious, huge windows to stunning views, and groovy, thoughful design. I was a solo traveller and the family invited me to eat my evening meals with them, so I was able to try a range of local dishes, and I was invited to drink tea and their locally brewed wine; I felt like one of the fmaily rather than a guest. Eco - the member of the family who speaks English - was awesomely helpful and friendly in terms of organising my time in Yangshao and other travel arrangements. The guesthouse is located outside of Yangshao town, so you need to get a taxi for 40RMB to get there and it takes about 10-15mins (but this is because the road is rough rather than it being too far a distance). Once there, they have bikes you can use to explore or Eco can drop you into town on a motorbike rickshaw for a small cost. I enjoyed staying out of town - it was peaceful, the scenery was inspiring and there was a gorgeous swimming hole a short walk away.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Ecofarm Lodge

Reviewed September 19, 2011

I ended up staying at Eco's purely by chance and I can quite honestly it was amazing!
My friend and I rocked up on the off chance of being able to stay as this place had been recommended to us and fortunately there was a room available.
The place is not yet finished but it does not really matter because that is what gives the place 'something extra'. Our room was comfortable (large, clean and something you don't expect from a normal guesthouse) with all mod cons except a sink and mirror but in the grand scheme of things our window looked out onto the mountains where you could see the sun rise and our balcony was a great place to see the sun set so everything balanced.
Everything you eat here is homegrown/raised and so really fresh which is lovely - one day we were undecided on what to eat so Eco led us into the kitchen and asked us what we wanted and then it was cooked for us - now that is service!
Eco was very knowledgeable and arranged a few excursions for us and made sure we didn't get ripped off.
This place is good value for money and absolutely worth a visit.
The location is just perfect and the next time I visit in China, I will stay here.
I am still in contact with Eco who has invited me back when I have a family......this is something you just don't get nowadays.
Helen and Lou, UK

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Ecofarm is a very peaceful guesthouse owned by a caring family. The rooms have western toilets and a beautiful view. The food is delicious, many of the vegetables are home grown. Also, a nice spot for swimming os just around the corner. Some parts of the house are not finished yet, but this is not disturbing at all. We can fully recommend a stay at ecofarm!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank kastumm
Reviewed September 1, 2011

At first we stayed at the gigglingtree because we saw it in the lonelyplanet. we found it expensive and the rooms were dark with no view. By coincidense we saw a sign of the ecofarm and decided to take a look. We were stunned by the rooms comfort and exquisit view over the valley. And that for one third of the price from the gigglingtree! We ended up staying here for a week. The food is the best of south china. The ecofarm grows everything in the huge garden, you can just pick your vegetables and they will prepare it for you. We loved it here and if we come back to the area we will definitly stay at the ecofarm again. Tim and Nikki, The Netherlands

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Asia32
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I loved my stay at the EcoFarm. I was traveling solo and stayed for four nights, and I would have stayed longer if my visa weren’t on the verge of expiring. Eco made me feel so comfortable and welcome, and even invited me to eat with his family a few times since I was the only guest a couple of nights. Eco took me to two all-day events with him and his friends (who are all photographers), and we had so many laughs and such a good time. I love that he included me in his personal activities and I felt like I was experiencing normal life and not just being another tourist. He was also really helpful in helping me plan my daily activities and other travels in China.

The food was amazing – straight from the garden, and very reasonably priced. My room was very clean and inviting and had a great view. There was wifi in the rooms and a computer for anyone to use downstairs. The place isn’t completely finished, but it wasn’t an inconvenience in any way. The location is perfect, being about 5km outside of town in the middle of the karsts and rice fields and next to the river. I would definitely recommend staying here and will hopefully be back one day soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I love staying there for its atmosphere, just relaxing and feeling like home. And you must try the their mint fish, best local dish ever!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed July 4, 2011

A friend and I went for a photo trip. We did not know anyone so we booked everything online. We actually stayed in another hotel. Scouting for areas yo shoot, we came across Eco's (owner/manager) hotel by accident. We were hungry and our hotel was too far back. The food was awesome (I'm not a fan of veggies but liked the food) that we came back the following day. It's also good to mention that Eco is a photographer himself! You know it's gold to have someone with the same passion in a place you don't know. He showed us places for a sunset and assisted us on our Lijiang trip. Eco is a nice guy and their food is awesome. The experience was great that it made me write my first travel review. There's more thing he helped us with. Needless say, Ecofarm is highly recommended =)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Ecofarm, Owner at Ecofarm Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your Great works!
There are just so impressive to me!