“Do not hesitate !”

Fun Sam's Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Ideally located just 10' stroll from the (noisy) centre, Sam and his family contribute to an unforgettable stay in Yangshuo.
Rooms are very clean, very fast WIFI, delicious dinner in option prepared by Sam's mother,
relax atmosphere, Sam speaks very good English and is learning Spanish ;-)..they will do everything to make your stay more agreable and make you feel at home !
Sam is not only a great guy but also a fantastic guide who can organize anything in a very personalized way. The place to be and to stay in Yangshuo !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We were only meant to stay a couple of days - but ended up staying a week. Sam and his family were fantastic. The wifi is the best we have found on our travels through China and the rooms were the comfiest and cleanest. Our room had a wall to wall window with a stunning view of the Casts. Less than a 10 minute walk from the Main Street, the area was so different much quieter than the touristy streets. Sam organised some great days out for us helping us skip the tourist traps, whatever we wanted, he managed to organise and much cheaper than the agents in the town. The whole stay was great value. My favourite was joining Sam and his friends each morning to swim in the river surrounded by beautiful scenery and not a tourist in sight. Staying there is like visiting family or old friends. And Yangshuo was beautiful. If you go to China you must go to Yangshuo and when you go to Yangshuo you must stay at Sams.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gavers24
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After nearly 2 weeks work in China, Frankly speaking, I don't have very high expectation of my three day stay in Yangshuo. However, the stay at Sam's B&B prove me wrong. It was amazing time and all thanks to Sam's and his family's hospitality and a chance to befriend with many Chinese : Xuai ge and his girlfriend, Echo and Patty. Sam's mum is a great cook with many local dishes, which really reminds me a taste of home.

A Big thump up to Sam's B&B and I highly recommend the place to you all. :)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I usually don't tour around the country side with a guide however Sam's expertise regarding the local attractions, amenities & gastronomy have led me & friends to conclude that Yanghsuo without Sam would simply not be a proper Yangshuo experience.

He organized us everything in advance, took us around the country side, most beautiful hot-spots and advised on worth while attractions outside of the city that we other wise would not have heard of. He also helped us avoid the usual tourist traps regarding evening dining by taking us to his favorite local restaurants.

Regarding his B&B, great value, even greater value for money. From the comfortable beds to European toilets to smoking a cigarette in the lobby with his parents and the magnificent pancake & omelette breakfast provided by his lovely mother. We regretted to have only stay for 2 nights.

Finally concerning Sam, he met up with us as our host & tour guide and left us as our friend.

In summary Yangshuo, NOT WITHOUT SAM.

Love and miss you Sam

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I went to Yangshuo with my mom and my younger sister for 3 nights and after staying at Sam's place, how I wish I had planned my trip longer.

Before the trip, I booked a hostel room near West Street for 3 nights but after spending a night there feeling lost and miserable, we decided to search for another place where we would feel at home. Indeed, from the first moment we met until the last minute of departure, my family and I felt completely at home, as though we had just reunited with our long lost friends. We spent hours hanging out in the living room chatting with Sam's family and friends, drinking tea and beer, eating fruits and snacks. Everybody is so friendly, sincere and nice that you feel comfortable discussing your life experience and thoughts with them and learn from their life stories as well. Sam is a very outgoing, sporting, humorous and helpful person. Not to mention Sam's mom is an excellent chef. We love all her local home-cook dishes, especially the beer fish, pumpkin leaves and pumpkin flower soup. Sam's dad is very charismatic too! As for our tours in Yangshuo, we couldn't have gone to so many unique local attractions in Yangshuo without Sam's help. You can totally count on Sam and his friends to bring you to paths and places where the locals hang out and appreciate the gems of Yangshuo from their perspectives instead of the ones that are too commercialized and congested with tourists.

All in all, we are very thankful to have received so much help and care from the Zhang's family and friends. Every second of time spent at the Fun Sam's B&B is cherished and remembered dearly and we can't wait to plan our next trip to Yangshuo with the rest of our family soon. Till then, it will definitely be another happy reunion for all of us. ;P

-The Loo Family

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sam's for 7 days for our honeymoon and stayed in room 603, with an amazing panoramic view of the mountains. From the beginning, Sam made sure we had a smooth and wonderful trip - the taxi driver picked us up from Guilin airport, he met us late at night to welcome us, waking up to his mom's wonderful cooking, his expert advice and local tips on where to eat the best Chinese food or go on an awesome hike with panoramic sunset views of the entire city.

When we were in town, we saw lots of tourists crammed in buses and waiting in line to see all the attractions. With Sam's tours, we never had to wait in line to get anywhere, went at our own pace, plus he provided tailored and personal tours where he took care of everything and we just had to show up and enjoy ourselves. He also helped us plan our stay at the Longji Rice Terraces.

We went on the trip looking for adventure, and also got friends out of it. Sam, thank you and your family (and cat!) for welcoming us and being part of an unforgettable honeymoon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Wow! Sam is such a charming and knowledgeable host. My son and I hired Sam to be our local guide and he did not disappoint. He was on time, did what he promised, and was always smiling! We did not stay at his inn but did visit and it was a wonderful place. We would highly recommend using Sam and his services. By the way, he speaks fantastic English.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family