“This guy and his colleague are awesome!!!!”

Jack's Private Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jack's Private Tours specialize in private guided tours in and around Yangshuo area which covers the guided tour in Guilin,Yangshuo,Longshen and southeast of Guizhou province,All of our tours are private,customized and based on your own interests,needs and our recommendation. We carefully select reliable and experienced tour experts and suppliers to work with, So that ensure you will spend a safe,smooth and memorable trip with us along the way!
Beijing
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“This guy and his colleague are awesome!!!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

December 28, 2012

I found Jack through Trip Advisor and was amazed with the reviews that he had got. My wife and I immediately contacted him about three months before our trip, and as we were travelling with a toddler and could only travel half-days, he made sure that the itinerary was time-sensitive. We wanted to take boats up and down the river, and he showed all of the costs up front with no hidden fees or other agendas. He also answered our concerns about travelling in a car with a toddler by purchasing a baby car seat for us and for future customers.

All was fine until we got there and two things happened:

1) The weather turned cold, damp and rainy
2) The boats were not suitable for wee toddlers.

So one day before Jack was to pick us up, he and I had a phone call, and with great patience, cancelled two of the three days but made sure that on the third day that his colleague Karen would take us through the Yangshuo countryside by car.

We had an amazing trip. Karen picked us promptly at the appointed time, and took us to three villages, the Dragon Bridge and let us see amazing vistas. We also had the serendipitous luck of having the driver be our babysitter while my wife and I wandered the villages wih Karen. They both were incredibly patient as my daughter became fussy and moody as the trip wore on. To top it all of Jack had made sure that a baby car seat was at hand as PROMISED!!!

If we ever get a chance to go back to Yangshuo, we are going to be sure that we will use Jack's services again. He is personable, prompt and delivers what he promises.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank BronwynWorldTour
Jackzhou, Owner at Jack's Private Tours, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks very much for sharing your thorough feedback regarding my tours here, I am very delighted that you are satisfied with my arrangements and the services provided by my colleague Karen and my driver Mr.Mo. I am glad to hear that baby car seat works well for your daughter, it could be suitable for my future clients who from 9 month old baby to 12 years old child.

Actually, Most of my clients the same to you decide to contact me base on rave reviews on Trip Advisor in the past three years, quite a few of my clients who from Trip Advisor are belong to worldwide seasoned travelers, I know that it’s really very difficult to receive their very positive comments unless I really did a fantastic job to make them satisfied thoroughly.

So, I do have high standards for myself, my drivers, my tour guides and my affiliated activities suppliers. Hence, my clients will enjoy the first-class services provided by all of us in every aspect. In order to keep Jack’s Private Tours go far, my future clients can feel free to comment me and my associates on Trip advisor. Any helpful advice and suggestion will be taken into account. Thanks very much!

The owner
Jack Zhou

• Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“wonderful”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited Guilin/Yangshuo (pronounced a bit like ‘gwee-lin’ and ‘young-so’) area for three days in early November 2012, which is a tricky time of year for weather. Unfortunately we had rain all three days which curtailed our plans for outdoor activities somewhat. Yangshuo is made remarkable by its incredible karst mountains which have become a big draw for domestic and international tourists (including many rockclimbers) over the past 15 years.

I found Jack’s communication excellent – the information on his site made it easy for me to decide what I wanted to do. Jack organised Juan, a local woman, to be our guide. We absolutely loved Juan – she is warm and has the knack for gauging what her customers need in terms of information and guidance. Aside from her lovely personality, her local knowledge made the trip so much more interesting for us. We were picked up from the airport and driven to Pin-Yan village in the Longshen rice terraces – Juan walked us up the hill and our driver Mr Liu (sp?) kept our suitcases in the car while we stayed overnight in Li-An Lodge on the hill. The next day we walked to a nearby village and were collected and driven to our accommodation in Yangshuo, the Moondance Resort. We wandered around the local area in the afternoon including the Yangshuo Basecamp. The next day we went for a cruise on the Li River which is stunning. The final day included a morning climb of Moon Rock – which was a short walk from our accommodation. Jack kept in contact with Juan each day to make sure everything was running smoothly and was very helpful in changing plans because of the weather. I cannot recommend Jack and Juan too highly.

Visited November 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best in the business”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We can't say enough wonderful things about Jack's Private Tours.....if you're visiting the Yangshuo area, you want to book Jack, and let me tell you why.

My sister is a US Citizen living in China and I came to visit from the US. My sister booked a three day tour in December 2012 of the Yangshuo area with Jack's Private Tours. Jack is personally just delightful to be around and each day we were more amazed at Jack's skill as a guide. Not only does he speak English well, he also understands slang!

Jack's level of detailed knowledge about the vegetation was impressive....he knew more about every fruit tree, bush, and plant than most farmers! Jack described the life of the local citizens, and provided the opportunity to experience their culture and life intimately. He was able to shield us from the tourist traps - but not the culture. His knowledge of the entire region, enthusiasm and love of the mountains was evident from the beginning, and continued throughout the tour. He brought us into the small farming villages along the Li river, where we could walk through the fields of lemon. lime and orange trees, rice paddies and water buffalo, and meet the farmers in the field. You can't get more authentic than that!

My sister and I were amazed at how easily every aspect of the tour flowed. Jack and the folks who work with/for him have mastered the art of timing and hand-off's. As soon as we finished one event for the day, Jack was waiting for us to escort us to the next event.....and everyone who had a role in the entire three day tour, from the taxi driver to the river raft guides, were exactly where they needed to be waiting for us to arrive.

Jack's recommendations for the Moondance hotel, restaurants, and events (the light show, chinese cooking class, rafting down the Li river, biking, etc) were the perfect combination for my sister and I, and made excellent use of our limited time there.

Not only did we have a great time, see wonderful scenery and take awesome pictures, we made a friend for life. We think you should too.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Debbie M
“Great Guide for Kids In Yangshuo”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Before we arrived our guIde Jack produced an Itinerary for a three day tour to show us the highlights if Yangshuo. It was specifically tailored for our four year old twin daughters and their capabilities. Jack speaks very good English and is a young intelligent guy with a family of his own.
Both we and our girls loved bamboo rafting, cycling and river boating. Whilst doing this Jack also arranged a visit to the silver cave, for us to meet interesting people and even for the girls to paint fans. We went to places that I'm sure we would never have seen if not for Jack. We would noT hesitate to recommend him as a guide when visiting Yangshuo and especially if you have kids.

Naples, FL
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Up close & personal”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

For most of our trip to China, we’d booked through China Highlights for guide services. However, I caught an earlier review on TripAdvisor which mentioned how she had switched to Jack for her tours in Yangshou, as he excelled at providing photo ops and getting you on the road less traveled. That was an excellent recommendation, so we booked him for two days in Yangshou. He turned out to be a very friendly, accommodating, reliable and enthusiastic guide who speaks English perfectly.

He responded promptly to my email request, provided a detailed summary of what we could do at a fair price, and helped me decide between two inns I was looking at. (I decided on the Yangshou Mountain Retreat, which was perfect with amazing views)

It had been raining hard for a few days before we arrived and that morning, so he modified our original itinerary so we wouldn’t be slogging through muddy fields. The first thing we did was taxi upstream the Li River to Yangdi and got on a small, private motorized bamboo boat that we glided on down to Xingping past amazing karst formations on both sides of the river. The original plan was to do this at 6am to see the karsts mysteriously emerging from the mists. Frankly, despite the fact I’m sure the photos would’ve been great, I didn’t mind rescheduling to avoid the early wakeup. The sun was peeking out through the clouds and the temperature was very pleasant..

Enroute to Xingping, we got off the boat and Jack walked us through the farming countryside pointing out the abundance of produce...cotton, persimmons, huge pomelos, sesame seeds, soybeans, potatoes, orange and lime trees, as well as water buffalos. With the looming karsts surrounding the verdant fields, it looked like a veritable Garden of Eden. There was a farmer and his wife harvesting rice in a wooden, foot powered thrasher who was very friendly and let Jack and then my husband try their hand (and foot) at it. After walking through a small village of nice farmer’s houses and exchanging greetings with some, we returned to the boat and continued our cruise. This up close and personal experience would never have happened on the typical large tourist boats that plie people from Guilin to Yangshou. Jack also timed this so we avoided the masses of large boats that make the river rougher and less serene.

At Xingping, we walked up it’s ancient street and tried a rice snack cake that Jake bought, that reminded us of a Rice Krispie bar. Because we started and ended later, we had him drop us off in Yangshou (about 15 min from inn) on West Street where all the t action is...restaurants, shops, and throngs of Chinese tourists. He’d recommended Cloud 9, where we got an excellent table on a second floor balcony overlooking all the lights and sounds of West St. We especially got a kick out of watching the diners in the outdoor restaurant across the street downing group shots....(Ganbei!), singing karaoke and marveling at the girls selling lighted small disks that soared into the air and they deftly caught. The food was good (chicken with cashews, clay pot eggplant, and fried green beans with nuts), but this was the first restaurant where the menu listed dog, palm rat, and eels.

The next morning, Jack picked us up at 9a and we drove upstream the Yulong River, the one that flows in front of our inn, to get on a smaller bamboo raft that’s poled by the boatman. There’s only room for two of us, so after a 1 1/2 cruise up to Fulli Bridge (600 years old), we got off for a quick look from the top of the bridge to admire the karst scenery. Then, back on for the return trip...a very peaceful and quiet river experience.
Jack met us and was excited to show us a recently born water buffalo calf in a field nearby. I was amazed that the mother let us get so close to the calf. We hiked along more farmers‘ fields and small villages until we met up with our driver. Walking through these orchards and rice paddies, surrounded by karst mountains, is a wonderful way to experience natural China.

After a lunch break at our inn, Jack picked us up again at 3p for what he said was a 1 1/2 hour bike ride. We were provided good bikes and this was a most interesting journey. Some paths were unexpected, but welcome, concrete paths weaving through rice paddies surrounded by towering karsts...I marveled at the beauty. Others were gravely and uneven, especially going through villages where there were other bikes, scooters, tuk tuks, roosters, dogs and people to avoid. The worst was a very narrow path through a high sea of grasses with a bit of a drop off on each side. I had to walk my bike through this, but I do have a balance issue.

Around the time I thought we were almost done, Jack announced we had another hour. By this time I’m very tired and sweating and the uneven ground and uphills are taking their toll. I carry on until we get to a school near Moon HIll that I recognize from our outbound journey and realize it’s still a long way back. I was exhausted and my foot had already slipped off into the spoke a little and I was afraid I’d injure myself if I kept going. So, we asked Jack if he could leave me there and send a driver to pick me up. He got on his cellphone and arranged the bike vendor to arrive on his little truck in the rice fields to pick up the bikes and we all waited for a tuk tuk to take us back along the roads to the inn, which was surprisingly far and cold as the sun was going down. He was very apologetic that our ride had turned into 2 1/2 hours, but he thought we were up to it because we’d been such good hikers. So, if you’re not a great biker (like me) be clear about your expectations.

We just had time to take a quick shower and a quick dinner at our inn, and Jack was back to take us to the acclaimed “Impressions of Liu Sanjie” light and sound show on the banks of the Li River that lights up the background karsts. The theatre holds 3500 people and it’s bedlam at the entrance, but Jack orchestrated everything perfectly and escorted us to great seats and then met us afterwards to return us to the hotel. He also explained what the story line of the show was and what to expect in each act. I seriously would have hated to buy tickets and enter this venue on my own. We had previously seen the Lijiang Impressions show, but I preferred this one (but my husband preferred the other) This was more beautiful and dazzling, especially the silver women twinkling that looked like a huge, twisting diamond bracelet and the bamboo boatmen gliding along the river with the glistening red fabric that evoked water.

In summary, Jack is a very nice young man and we appreciated his enthusiasm and competence is providing a very unique, private experience that let us experience the natural beauty of the countryside.

Visited November 2012