“Great Hostel”
Review of 11 Youth Hostel

11 Youth Hostel
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time staying at this hostel. It has a great communal area, lots of sofas and a computer to use. As well as cheap beers, books, umbrellas, scales, free washing machine etc. we had a twin bedroom, beds were really big and comfiest we've had in China.

The bathroom was clean, hot powerful shower.

Really nice roof terrace with great views over Yangshuo. Good for sunsets.

The location is great, just off west street down a little alley...can be a bit noisy at night but nothing that ear plugs won't solve. The music from surrounding bars doesn't go on too late anyway.

The girls on the desk are really helpful - one has better English so can help a bit more, but both speak English very well.

Would love to have stayed longer in Yangshuo.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Offering a selection of single, double and most importantly dorm rooms tightly spaced over the 5 or so floors of this narrow but not claustrophobic side street terrace.

Flags hang from above the wooden framed front doors in the tiny side street just off the Li River. A spacious yet cozy, well equipment communal area is where you find the small check in window. Staff worked shifts and were always happy to help with local knowledge and advice.

A winding stair case guides you up to the appropriate floor where you'll find shower/toilet rooms kept clean and fully functional with western toilets in most. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm which had a good air con unit for a very affordable 25 quai per night.

Bunk beds were new, with clean, fresh linen. They didnt squeak when you move about. There is a plug for each set of bunk beds. A nice pillow and thick curtains should you need to recover after a long train journey.

There is a locker room with "CCTV" and padlocks, but in 2 months I never felt uneasy about leaving my valuables in my bag in the room or just simply on display. This might sound stupid, but China is very safe and low on crime targeted at tourists due to capital punishment for minor crimes.

Ordering in from the local Clay Pot restaurant was a delight! They brought the pots to the guest house, piping hot and fresh cooked. Such a bargain at about 11quai. Do venture out though as there are some amazing restaurants in the area. Top favourite foods were the Tofu Square Tricycle man on the main tourist street. Beware the fresh chilli, dried chilli and chilli sauce toppings if you cant take the heat!

You can gain access to the roof terrace on the top floor by passing by the laundry area. Cold washing is fine if you get it out quick and get it dry. The roof terrace is THE tallest in Yangshuo and although there is no lively bar (find it next door on the roof), the peaceful double deck area is a tranquil spot to take in the majesty of the Li River as it meanders between cast hill tops. I arrived at sun set and it took my breath away.

11 is a more mature/relaxed/culture vulture haunt I would say. Next door, find the party and pool table. Around the corner find Monkey Jane's for beer pong and snake blood.

I hired electric moto's and took to the country side. I made a friend in my dorm room, who has since invited me to his bucks party, wedding and beach house. We remain very close friends. This place is very dear to my heart.

I canoed on the River Li. Hiked up Moon Hill. Swam in the Li from the banks of Yangshuo. Cycled around the town. Went to see dog in the meat market. Took mopeds to Dragon Bridge and didnt jump off it, although many do. I ate local speacialty dish Beer Fish. Shed a tear over the Mc Donalds positioned in the heart of the old town. Got lost out in the rice paddy surrounding landscape.

Room Tip: 6 bed dorms were busy but quiet enough, clean and cheap. As a solo traveller it meant that I met lot...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed for a week at hostel 11, and had an overall disappointing experience. The building itself is nice, and the rooms were fairly clean (they're musty, but all the cheap hostels in the old town are). The movies in the lobby are a nice touch, and the balcony is pretty cool, though always empty (don't expect a party atmosphere here. Monkey Jane's, just around the corner, has a real rooftop bar). The problem really was the staff. They were generally uninterested and unhelpful, and even bordering on insulting at times. When my girlfriend asked them questions, they refused to answer, just pointing to their sort of tour book. While we were discussing possible activities, one of the staff, who clearly didn't know English that well, tried to tell my girlfriend (Chinese) that I agreed with him and not her, so she should listen to us. Of course, that's not what I was saying. We also tried to get information from them about Vietnamese visas and train tickets, and they were completely unable to help.

In the end, we finished our time at Monkey Jane's, which was better in every respect. Jane was able to sort out all of our visa, travel, and activity stuff in minutes. She offered us free use of her motorbike, bicycles, got us deals on tickets to the light show (don't go, total waste of money!), and made us feel much, much more welcome than the folks at Hostel 11. And the rooms were even cheaper there!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stumbled upon a small flyer of 11 Hostel in another hostel in SHanghai. I was immediately charmed by the small map they integrated to it that gave some suggestions about hikiing and cycling trip around the region.

I was not disappointed once I arrived in the hostel. I was immediately charmed by the staff, the have this light humor and polite familiarity that puts you in a good and makes you feel at home. I stayed in a twin room ensuite and it was quite nice. Really clean. I most of all appreciated the bathroom, even though it was a typical shower-over-toilet kind of thing, the floor was covered by some kind of plastic carpet that allowed the water to flow easily and the bathroom dry quickly. Furthermore, the cleaning staff makes a great work of keeping it squeaky clean.

The common has to be my second favorite feature (after the rooftop which will be developped later). It is spacious but not so much that you can't talk to the person at the other side of the street. The selection of books is small but delightful and the movie selection system is just grand!

Now, the rooftop. INCREDIBLE. Now you will notice as you go up that some other hostels/bars also have rooftops but none of them has the view and the quietness that 11 offers. It is a great place to observe the sunset while sipping a fresh mango juice!

All in all, if you have the opporunity, really consider this hostel. More than a great value for your money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Pros: Clean sheets, newish rooms, cheap beer, awesome roof top, perfect location off West street, great in room wifi, free laundry, nice hang out spot downstairs. The main thing I loved though was the service by one of the male owners. I don't know his name but he looks kinda like Jet Li. He was super nice, super friendly and super helpful. I just loved how much he loved what he was doing. Top marks for service here!

Cons: could be hard to find at night as its down a very small alley. We landed in town at 3am and the taxis will overcharge you at that hour. But once you find it you will see it's really in the middle of West street but it's quiet because it's in an alley.

Highly recommend you stay here. We had two friends who stayed at another hostel come by and take a look at our place and said we won on who got a better hostel.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Very very handy location, helpful staff with good English language, comfortable beds, clean, lots of info about activities (in english!), comfy communal area with lots of DVDs... Pretty much everything you could want, right?

Many locations in the middle of town have problems with noise, and this place wasn't perfect in that respect but much better than expected.

To find the alleyway that it is situated on, walk down West St (the really busy pedestrian street in the middle of town, you can't miss it) until you come to a corner with 'Global Bar' on it. The alley is opposite that corner.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being on level 5 or 4 because there is a bar next door on the rooftop. It can be noisy...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Overall a nice place, BUT the beds were horrible and when we checked out the guy gave us a FAKE BILL for our deposit!!!! so there went 50rmb. private room was clean with bathroom. cold. the upstairs balcony is a very nice lounge spot and has a great view. washing machine is a bonus, but give your clothes time to dry, especially in winter. check bills for authenticity on the way out.

Room Tip: ask to see room beforehand.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family