“Good hotel contrary to pass reviews”

Jasper International Hotel
Ranked #68 of 446 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Kuala Lumpur
“Good hotel contrary to pass reviews”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

The room is great. Big and clean and looks very new. All amenities intact: hair dryer, safe, fridge, kettle for coffee & tea making, HD TV. Only thing missing is tissue paper - strange! Beds are very comfortable and springy which is a pleasant surprise in China! Bathroom has a tub and shower and a beautiful sink! You need to see it to see what I mean. Well, after this rave review, am greatly disappointed with the BREAKFAST! OMG, the spread was lousy. For such a good looking hotel, the food served was ridiculous. Only thing close to meat are fried and hard boiled eggs! And what other reviewers said are true, the food are not replenished! So tip: go and have your breakfast early. Another word of caution. This hotel is very popular with tourists and be prepared to battle breakfast with them. Location is not really great but hotel provides shuttle service to West Street (the most happening place in Yangshuo) so it is acceptable. Tip: better stock up with food (titbits) before you get to this hotel as it is not near any shops. However, I believe there is a Suncome supermarket next to the hotel but it closes very early.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taipei101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Finland
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I am not one to write reviews unless I really have something to say. Our experience in this Jasper Hotel was just so bad that I need to express my thoughts and warnings to other wise travellers who wish to know where to stay.
We spent two nights in this "new and luxurious Hotel". I have spent nights in high and low class hotels but this place just tops it all with their abysmal performance.
1. The most horrible setting was our two breakfasts on BOTH mornings it was the same. In both occasions the food ran out from the trays quite fast and were left empty NO ONE IN THE STAFF SEEMED TO CARE OR BE RESPONSIBLE OF THIS - so one could not find much to eat. Breakfast time there was around 200 people eating (and this was not the high tourist season even) so the queues just kept growing and growing. The second morning i got one boiled egg and a chinese bread on my plate!!! Even the drinks were finished and not replaced! AND when they finally brought new orange juice, IT WAS HOT!!! At this point I walked out angrily and hungry. The service of the whole place was terrible, we had trouble during the evening dinner as well as breakfast. And my wife speaks chinese so it was not because there would have been a language barrier.
I wrote a complaint and left it to the assistant manager desk - i dont know if anyone bothered to read it...
2.Our room looked nice, but the shower sink was jammed. It flooded the whole shower.
3.The toilet flusher did not work properly.
4.My wife got a rash from the sheets of the hotel - her skin sometimes reacts do dirty clothes or strong washing powder. We dont know which one was this fault.
5. The skin rash resulted on her using some chinese herbs mixed with water and using hotels small towels to wash her skin...so the small towels had some brown marks on them...the small towels were not replaced during the cleaning, all the other towels were changed...at the end of our stay the hotel gave us a bill to pay for dirty towels!!!!! Never in my life i have received something like this from a hotel. The hotel demanded that we pay since the small towels " can not be washed anymore clean". Let me tell you that they did not even TRY TO CLEAN THEM BEFORE DEMANDING MONEY! And these herbs left only small marks which I am 100% sure that normal washing powder clean off. I was deeply disturbed by this.
6. The hotel room had 2 water bottles on the table offered for quests BUT one bottle charged 8 RMB. This was written next to the bottle so of course a smart quest can see this. I only wondered that this high class hotel charges quests from waterbottles with reasonably high price (downstairs shop sells water 3 RMB) WHEN all the other hotels in our trip offered water for free. Our travel companions took those water by mistake and had to pay...
OVERALL the BAD SERVICE and all other things related to it made our trip to Yangshuo so much more bad. I really can not even express how horrible the breakfast and the treatment that we were given here was. I just hope that a smart traveller decides on a more people-recommended place than this when coming to town. On the outside this place looks nice but serious problems in various customer service situations occur. I am still waiting for some kind of response from the hotel from my feedback....I doubt i will see any.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple