“Bad choice”

Chaozhou Guest Hotel
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Chaozhou
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I'm originally from Chaozhou but I spend most of my time in Canada. Last month I paid 8 consecutive night for my customers in a king-sized bed room. Everything seems okay untill my customers were phoned by a stranger who kept asking them to visit their factory and even knocked at their door in the late night. This is the first time for my customers to visit Chaozhou. They were totally in shock and called me for help.
I talked to this stranger with our own language(chaozhou hua) on the phone. I have to admit that she is the most difficult person I never ever talk to. You can imagine how difficult for a foreigner to deal with people in Chaozhou. No doubt about it. Because this stranger paid for the check-in information from counter. She called in and asked for business.
I will not let my customers stay in this hotel again. It was nightmare!!!! NO PRIVACY. NO SERVICE.NO ENGLISH.....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Annecxion

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Internet works great in the huge lobby. the staff tried to accommodate me in every level. a great place to stay. only down side is extra hard mattress. but some may like even that. this is my 6th time going back there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel for a business meeting. Third time to come back and is still almost the same. 1 hour away from Shantou Airport (nearest airport).

Surrounding: Nice front yard, might be copied from the garden of Versailles in France. U.B.C. Coffee Shop is 5 minutes walk which is open 24 hours. Didn't get around much as our host was taking care of our itinerary.

Hotel Amenities: It has a restaurant which is nice. This is located in the province and the price of the food was nice. Elevator works fine. They just renovated so the lobby is looks new. It has a business center.
Buffet breakfast has dimsum, fried noodles, some sandwiches, congee/poridge and bread. Hotel also has a boutique.

Room: The bathroom is newly renovated but there is a note saying that Guangdong Tourist Authority has prohibited hotels from providing consumable bathroom supplies like toothbrush, toothpaste etc.. We had a twin bed room and one bed is hard while the other one is softer than the other. Best to tell the reception what you want.
Room has TV and free internet (using LAN cable).
It was spacious as well.

Probably the best hotel in Chaozhou. A new 5-star hotel is about to open but I'm already satisfied with this hotel. Perfect already for a short stay for business given that this is a province.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank djtravelbug
Reviewed January 9, 2009

the hotel is ok in a small city in southern China.

it's not an international hotel,the reception may not understand everything in english, but it's ok to provide very basic service.

they have different rooms, the executive rooms in the VIP area (not close to the street) are pretty quiet and clean. all have free broadband link, water is hot but not that strong.

the city has nice cuisine. restaurants around the city offer wonderful food, one of the best food in China i had! The "hot pot beef" is terrific.

I had my friend who speaks english to help with business, they have a website chaozhoubiz.com.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank paulwarrier
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I have stayed in this Hotel for 2 consecutive years now.
I have also stayed at the White Magnolia in the past.
FYI, the White Magnolia hotel is not there anymore, they have closed down.
Chaozhou is not a major city in China. It doesn't have an airport. You have to travel to Shantou and then drive 45 mins to Chaozhou.
Most of the visits from outsiders are mostly for business purposes. However, this doesn't mean Chaozhou doesn't have its own merits. I find the city and the food to be fantastic.
Chaozhou has it own blend of culinary magic. I've been all over China and find Chaozhou cusine to be at the top of my list.
They must put some kind of addictive spices because I would go back just for the food.
Anyhow, lets get back on track, the Chaozhou hotel is a rather large hotel considering the size of Chaozhou.
The room was very clean and livable, they have fast internet access (free).
Your typical hotel stuff. (tv, bar, snacks, safe, iron, closet , room service, hot water maker, 2 daily complimentary water, etc....
I have attached some photos for you to view. I believe they can speak more than words.
The hotel has two restaurants one is western, the other of course is eastern.
In the mornings you can enjoy ham & eggs or chaozhou dim sum. The food is Par. Choazhou is not known for dim sum or ham & eggs. They gave me a $20 meal ticket every morning, so its like free breakfast. Anyhow, all the food in Chaozhou is cheap.
I invited my supplier for breakfast one day and it cost me $9 (in a hotel) for a group of 4. (and we chow down.)
Few down sides: The front desk is not that international, don't expect to get across to them unless you speak Chaozhou, Mandarin or Cantonese.
Also, bring ear plugs, the traffic noise is crazy. They love to honk their horns. which brings me to tell you, the driving here is the wild wild East! NO rules, do what you want without hitting anyone.
Its kind of fun to watch, but not live it.
Also if your the kind of person who like ice with your drinks, well.. they don't.
To sum it up. If your in Choazhou, this is the only hotel that I would recommend. Its clean and has all the features that you would want especailly in a remote place like this.
Note: the Trip advisor photos of the hotel is incorrect. they have a hotel called Chaozhou Guest Hotel and they got this one mixed up.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank TheWorldWonderer
Reviewed June 28, 2007

On a business trip I stayed at the hotel for two nights in late June. It is air conditioned (which could be turned off during the night) and the hotel provided complimentary bottled water. The room had over 30 chinese tv channels but I found one with news in English, channel 0. Outside traffic noise was no too bad, but I could hear it in the morning.The hotel has a free breakfast buffet. Some of the food is not very "breakfasty" but there were juice, coffee, sandwiches and fruit. In China tipping is not customary from what I was told and the staff did not seem to expect any money.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Regular-person
Reviewed March 19, 2007

I've been to this hotel 6 times, as it's the best in Chaozhou.It is quiet noisy. The staff doesn't speak English well, there are always problems with communication.
Sometimes you need to wait in so-called western restaurant half of an hour. The quality of food is not the best. The water closets block easily in this hotel. If only you need to come to Chaozhou for a short time, it's much better to book a room in Regency hotel in Shantou ( near the airport).

Stayed: March 2007