“Visit in the Winter!”

Mt. Huangshan (Yellow Mountain)
Book In Advance
$114.00*
HuangShan Mountain Highlights Full-Day Bus Tour from HuangShan
$179.00*
Private Tour: Xi'an Huashan Mountain Exploration Day Tour
$232.00*
and up
Huangshan Airport (TXN) Arrival Transfer to Huangshan Hotels with Huangshan...
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Huangshan
More attraction details
Owner description: Mt. Huangshan's peak offers excellent views of the surrounding territory. Transportation: Private bus Private car Public transportation Bicycle English Level: Fluent Services Provided: Tour guide Interpreter Business assistant Car rental Airport/train station pickup Ticket booking Hotel reservations Story teller and history narrator
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We took the cable car up to the top of Huangshan and spent a busy day hiking (er, a better term would be walking) to the various lookout points. We hired a guide (David Wei) who drove us the 3.5 hours from Hangzhou and went a few days after Christmas 2013. It was a great time to visit because it wasn't crowded, making it peaceful and enjoyable. We also had great weather. It was chilly, of course, but the sun was out and we actually broke a sweat with all the walking we did (there are lots of stairs to climb). Plus, it had snowed the week before and the snow was still on the ground (though not on the walkways), making it really feel like Christmastime. The views from all the various lookout points were amazing even though the haze of pollution was visible in the distance. We would recommend visiting this beautiful spot! Definitely take a camera to capture all the great views. You probably don't need a guide for Huangshan, but it was sure nice having a private car on such a long ride.

6  Thank woshoudebuhao

Reviewed January 18, 2014

No lines. no crowds, just you and the nature, altough there will always be some tourists and it's bit cold, but you can dress for that, but in the winter it's so much pleasant!

2  Thank zimof1
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Huangshan was marvellous, I would highly recommend travellers to visit the mountain over winter. Breath taking views, safe, few tourists, discounted accommodation, one of the best trips I've done. i will definitely be back again.

5  Thank robbieh836
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It was beautifull, watching the sunrise at 4:00 AM was amazing. The colours, the vegetation, the light hitting the mountains, the day rising. Everything was amazing until some Chinese hit you with his 40 cm long Nikon lens on your face. Really crowded, buying anything on the peak was really expensive. They even charged us 40Y for taking a shower. Beautiful place to be, but really really crowded.

5  Thank MALETAD
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited Yellow Mountain in winter this year, and it was absolutely breathtaking. There was thick fresh snow everywhere and the whole place was a winter palace. There was a wonderful mix of trees, oddly shaped rocks and various peaks and lookouts to visit, as well as the beautiful colours of sunrise/sunset!

A lot of websites say that a few spots in Yellow Mountain are closed for the winter e.g. TianDuFeng, but I still climbed up some peaks next to it and really, I didn't feel like I was missing out. Winter is definitely a great time to visit, but the only thing to watch is safety. The steps are very icy and slippery, and the days I went only the cable car up the mountain was running, so I had to walk down. If you're a rookie with hiking and scared of heights like me, I definitely recommend travelling with a companion, otherwise it can be extremely difficult to navigate down the steep stairs. Keep your luggage light and invest in a pair of shoe spikes.

My itinerary:
-Stayed at BeiHai hotel for one night (very close to the cable car up the mountain so you can take it easy on the first day)
-Saw sunrise (get there early (around 5am in winter), as it is very popular in good weather)
-Second day: visited the various scenic spots, hiked up to some of the peaks and descended down the mountain
-Also went to hot springs in the afternoon, great relaxation after hiking!!

Yellow Mountain was the highlight for me in China, it is an amazing place- definitely worth a visit!

6  Thank elle_g11