“Fantastic view under the bad weather”
Review of Huangshan Geopark

Ranked #5 of 82 things to do in Huangshan
Singapore
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Fantastic view under the bad weather”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Took many hours journey from Hangzhou to Huangshan, so excited and yet disappointed with the bad weather. Nothing can be sighted from inside of cable car while going up to the first spot of the mountain. Along the pathway we walked, it is enjoyable with the scenery near you but the other are all shadow by the cloudy fog apart from you. We are still manage to snatch some beautiful pictures under the rainy weather, believed it would be so much better and so much stunning if we come here during the dry season. Hope to come back again for my next trip to China.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank yklimSingapore

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, England, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A 6 star experience - Pack strong legs and bravery.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nature occasionally offers us the truly extraordinary. This place is that.

Set in some of the steepest and most dramatic peaks I have ever seen, the Chinese authorities have carved and built a vast network of paths and stairs into the mountain-side - an engineering feat the like of which I've never seen elsewhere. Be it misty or clear, still or breezy, the legendary light and dramatic scenery of Huangshan has apparently inspired poets and painters for several thousand years. You will feel similarly amazed.

It is steep, sometimes, frighteningly so. It is crowded, often packed solid and the megaphones that are wielded by the tour guides are simply vile. It says a lot that our memories of this visit were not marred by these inconveniences. Moreover, talk to the local travellers if you can. I have NEVER been to a friendlier place.

The pics I've posted don't begin to give an idea. Go and see for yourself. Don't expect to see too many Americans or risk-averse safety fanatics: this is an intrepid mountain adventure, probably the riskiest you can get without ropes and crampons.

Practical advice: stay up on the mountain peak for at least one night. Try to catch at least 2 dawns and 2 sun-sets. VERY IMPORTANT: Plan your arrival and descent carefully if you are doing the cable-car. Plan joint care properly whilst you are there. I am 47 years old and fit. 10 days later: knees still a bit sensitive after climbing over the whole place for 2 days.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank AnthonyHadenWest
Manila, Philippines
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Awesome Views and challenging granite steps all the way”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was inspired by the book Celestial Landscape and decided to take my family for a holiday in Huangshan, there is a bus you can take from Hangzhou to HuangShan (RMB100), Shanghai Express Train to Hangzhou is only 51minutes (RMB 250) , arrived in Huangshan bus station about 330pm, very limited english spoken here, a well oiled tourism industry here- you must buy a local ticket and use a local bus to get into the scenic park where Best Western Spa is located- our hotel for the first night- nice and comfy. We booked a local guide (mandarin speaking only) no more english speaking guide and we managed with our elementary mandarinto get by--good call because our guide was key to a great stay in Huangshan Geopark, she knows the lay of the land and negotiates porters for our backpacks and meals.
Just google Huangshan or Yellow mountain ,China and viewing the images of the cloud /fog covered mountain range was an awesome sight to behold. Breath taking sceneries indeed--walking up the granite stairs (11km)4 hours is no easy task. Yes I shall return , but maybe in September 2014- when the weather is a bit kinder.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank patrickph
Singapore
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Awe by the Beauty and Mighty Huangshan”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Travelled in Dec 2012 with my family and we stayed 2 nights at the top of Huangshan. 1 night at the back of the mountain and the night at the front of the mountain so that we can get to see more of its spectacular scenery.

It is about 2000m above sea level, all the pathways are neat and steady, though it may not be safe for toddlers. Take the cable car up to the top of the mountain to save your energy as there is lots of of stairs all the way ( many trails), so be prepared to carry light backpacks. My mum who found tough to climb got the local service to carry her in a carriage at RMB800 for about 2hrs.

The scenery is very beautiful and awesome. This December period is considered low season, so it made the hiking very pleasant and peaceful. This is my 2nd time to Huangshan, and it is still very appealing and attractive.

I would recommend those who want to visit Huangshan to stay for 3 nights at the top so that you will not need to rush. Step by Step, and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere. There are many trials which leads to spectacular sceneries. Make sure you make and confirmed your hotel bookings before ascending to Huangshan. There are only a couple of hotels at the top, and with 1 hotel closed for renovation, the rest of the hotels are fully booked too at this low season. There are many domestic tourists coming for day trips, so the cable car queue in the morning is packed. If you can arrange for an afternoon ascend, there is no queue and you get to check in the hotel and leave your backpack and you set off to see the sunset.

Lovely Huangshan, I see you in 10 years time.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank The-SCH-World-Travel
Jakarta, Indonesia
184 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Its a MUST visit once in a life time”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Amazing ! Gorgeus... Its havent ? Yes
Cant give any comment if we are not there, that is why i say its a must visit once in our life, next year i will bring my whole family to visit. Where ever you see around the mountain all are so beautiful, owesome. Eventhought i have knee pain, but because of the view is so gorgeous, i forgot my pain plus the cold weather makes my climbing just ok, no problem at all, climb about 700 stairs actually make my cardio exercise improved.
Starts from the cable car entrance its take about 30-40 minute quee and when cable drop at the 1st peak, we can find our hotel Hei bei , drop the bag pack then continue the journey to fingers stone peak, brush peak, Buddha Palms Pine Tree, havently Peak, Cloudy Forest Peak and back to hotel all took about 4 hours climb up and down, next day early morning sun rise at Hei Bei hotel peak then continue to Lotus Peak, Peackok Peak, Turtle Peak, Brigth Summit! Buddha Face Peak, Buddha Hand and back to the cable car station took about 7-8 hours climb up and down, very tired but happy , 2 days its minimum to see Huangsan, 5 days then you can see all

Visited September 2012