“Perfect base for climbing Huangshan and exploring Huizhou villages”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pine Ridge Lodge

Pine Ridge Lodge
Ranked #44 of 451 Hotels in Huangshan
Guanajuato, Mexico
“Perfect base for climbing Huangshan and exploring Huizhou villages”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

You won't go wrong if you choose to stay for a few days at Pine Ridge Lodge.
It sits at the base of Huangshan Mountain and is10 minutes walk outside the small city of Tangkou.

The owner Wayne Tong restored an old inn set in a pine garden right outside the South Gate, and it rates high in terms of comfort level, excellent attentive service, and tasty food from the included Chinese breakfast down to dishes made to order in their kitchen.

I found it extremely peaceful in spite of the afore-mentioned construction project in front. I really never noticed noise from this and it is shut down at night.

Wayne sent a car for me to the Huangshan airport, 1 and 1/2 hours away, at a modest price. There was a driver available all day at no charge to ferry guests into town to take the local buses to the Huizhou villages nearby and for the transport that gets one up to the jumping off point on the mountain.

They arranged my onward train tickets for almost nothing and my shared private car back to Huangshan City, answered a million questions, kept my room spotless. There is wireless internet in the main building. I was out in the bungalows which I think are even more serene and private. AC, TV, wonderful hot water, bath amenities, comfy bed with real down duvet and first rate linens.

Huangshan City is far away, and although it should be visited, does not make a good base for the exploring the mountain. I ended up staying extra days at Pine Ridge Lodge just to relax.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the privacy of the bungalows, but all the rooms are well-appointed and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank mexdoc

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I was planning our first family trip to China. It is not easy as I'm bringing along with me my parents, parent-in-laws and young children. Never been to Huangshan before, I have to rely on information from website to plan my trip.
I have chosen Pine Ridge Lodge based on the reviews in Tripadvisor. After making my reservation, I got the contact number of Pine Ridge Lodge, contacted the Lodge to get help on transport arrangement and got in contact with Mr. Tong - the owner of the Lodge. We exchanged email and started to communicate using gmail.
Mr. Tong is so efficient in English making the email communication very easy. To plan the trip for 11 people with old age parents, there are many things that I need to consider. I explored many options and Mr. Tong patiently guided me, provided me with suggestions and solutions. We exchanged more than 50 emails (thanks to gmail for tracking) to plan this trip. At some point, I was worried that Mr. Tong is going to get impatient with me and ignore my email. He didn't. He consistantly reply my email within less than 24 hrs.
I just returned from Huangshan. My trip was so well planned and everyone enjoyed ourselves so much.
Mr. Tong is truely someone you can trust if you are planning a trip to Huangshan. At the last minute, we changed our booking of bus from Huangshan to Hefei and it was done in less than 15 minutes without any penalty charges.
If you are not able to communicate in Chinese, I strongly recommend Pine Ridge Lodge as you can be sure that the owner, Mr. Tong, is trustworthy.

YB&LE from Singapore

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We chose this hotel on the recommendation of friends who had visited earlier in the year and did not check Tripadvisor reviews as is our usual practice.
The airport pickup arrangements worked perfectly and we enjoyed the drive to the hotel.
We met Mr Tong, the owner, when we checked in and discovered that he was from the States which explained his excellent English!
Our room was comfortable with a clean bathroom and with wifi. The room had a kettle and cups but no supplies. (We always carry tea with us.)
The hotel staff were all very pleasant although with very limited Englsh.
Mr Tong arranged our transportation to the shuttle which took us to the mountain. He also arranged a car and driver for a trip to see local sights including a wonderful bonsai garden.
On the day we left, he arranged for the driver to stop in Tunxi so that we could have lunch and visit the old street before we went out to the airport.
One of the great things for us was that Mr Tong encouraged us to call him on his cell phone if we found ourselves needing help. We did in fact call him several times.

A Chinese breakfast is included in the room rate but the alternative was 2 slices of toast with marmalade plus one cup of tea available for 12 yuan. We would have liked a wider choice - omellette, fresh fruit or fruit juice for example.
We ate dinner in the hotel three times. Mr Tong suggested either chicken or pork with a vegetable dish and he ordered the meal for us. On the 3rd night we indicated we would like 2 different vegetable dishes and we received 2 varieties of Chinese cabbage. There was a wide choice of vegetables in the kitchen so the 2 cabbage dishes surprised us. Dinner was good value for money but it would have been better to have a menu in English with wider range of choices.
The major construction was still in progress when we were there with noise going on in the evening and early in the morning.

Mr Tong's personal approach was the thing that made our stay memorable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M-and-H10
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 22, 2011

It's a very nice place, really, the rooms, the service - everything.
The owner just forgot to mention that there is a huge construction going on 24 hours a day!!!
You can't here it only if you stay in the cabins (and not the main building) with your windows closed.
Supposed to be over in October 2011.

Eventually we had to move out one day before planned - because of the constant noise. Got our money and deposit back, there was no problem with that.

Room Tip: I wouldn't reccomend staying there.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank polezen
Paris, France
Reviewed January 17, 2011

this great hotel, clean, quiet, with big rooms and with very helpful and friendly staff (the manager speaks a perfect english)surpised us! we reccomand pine lodge even for the restaurant. do not hesitate to ask for driving to hanghzou or elsewhere with very convenient fee!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bellepupette
Singapore
Reviewed September 21, 2010

After many days of seeing train ticketing officer providing fast but poor attitude service, it is definitely very surprise to see evryone in this little lodge could provide such a good service with human touch. They lent us walking sticks for trekking, gave good advice on trip and food. Special thx to the lady who manned the restaurant. Room is clean, small but comfortable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LeeHK8
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed at the Pine Ridge Lodge during our visit to Huangshan.
Initially we had trouble finding the place because we only had the English name and not the Chinese name: 黄山天客山庄 Huángshān tiān kè shānzhuāng.

The hotel has two parts - small rooms below the hill and a building with multiple rooms above the hill.

when we arrived we were notified that due to recent excessive rain there was some extra moisture in our room and we were offered an alternative room if we thought that our room smelled musty or moldy. We chose to stay in the room and it was ok.

The room was clean and comfortable but keep in mind that it opens up straight into the woods. This means that when you open/close the door an insect or two might crawl in.
I found myself removing a spider or a beetle once or twice.
This is probably not an issue in the main building part of the hotel.

Our room was equipped with A/C and a TV but no internet access was available at the hotel.

The lady at the front desk was very helpful and spoke good English. I'm not sure if she was the owner or an employee.

Other hotel staff does not speak English. We speak basic Mandarin and managed to communicate well with everyone.

Breakfast was very basic - steamed buns, rice porridge and hard boiled egg and tea.

It takes about 20 minutes to leisurely walk from the hotel to the center of Tangkou, where you can find an ATM, grocery stores and other shops and restaurants.

Hotel also helped us find a driver to take us to some of the attractions (Jade valley) and hooked us up with other guests to share a taxi to the cable car to go up the mountain.

Overall a very friendly little place in a rustic environment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple