Xiangming Hotel
$359
$283
$46
Trip.com
Old Street Youth Hostel(Huangshan)(Great Value!)
$21
$18
  • Bar/Lounge
$75
$47
$40
Trip.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 21, 2010

My thoughts are almost identical to the poster below: this is an excellent hotel with a staff that aims to please. I had a room facing the lake, which was very quiet. The room was a nice size and had all the necessary amenities, including great air conditioning and very comfortable beds (firm but not too hard). Lovely rainshower in the bathroom as well as hand-held. (No bathtub in my room, but I am not a tub person.) I did have one lunch at the Xiangming's Chinese restaurant, and the food was quite good and reasonably-priced for a hotel of this magnitude.

The main downside is the location--it would take a dusty and rather long 30 minute walk to the center of town and Old Street (Lao Jie), as it's in a new development zone about a mile away. And taxis aren't easy to get--basically they have to be called so you may have to wait a bit--or prearrange with the hotel staff. When I first arrived around noon from the bus station, the place was nearly deserted as the guests were all out on tours and there were no taxis around. When I mentioned the possibility of a bicycle (I live in China and am an avid bike rider) , the staff said that they could give me a loaner for free, as long as I put down an RMB 500 (fully refundable) deposit. I got a very well cared for set of wheels for my afternoon's use. On a bike, it's an easy 10 minutes to the Old Street and downtown area, and Huangshan is easy to navigate. For my second day, I had arranged with a taxi driver I'd met, to show up at 8 am and take me around the Huizhou villages until 4 pm (bargained a flat rate for the day). The hotel arranged a taxi for my final trip to the airport on my last evening.

Interestingly, I had first booked at the affiliated hotel on the opposite side of the street, the Xiangming Holiday Hotel, which is one-star less rated. However, they had planned some renovation work to begin on my second day, so after the first night at the Holiday Hotel, they moved me over to the main Xiangming Hotel, with no increase in rates. (The X.M. Holiday Hotel takes its own reservations and is quite a bit less in room pricing). Interestingly, the standard rooms at the Holiday Hotel are humongous--even larger than the rooms at the main hotel--as are the bathrooms. Go figure! They have nearly the same amenities, but some of the support services at the Holiday Hotel side are not in place yet...though you can use the main hotel's. And the Holiday Hotel doesn't have lake-facing rooms, though they do have a courtyard. I'd have no hesitation recommending either the main Xiangming Hotel or the little brother Xiangming Holiday Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This 5 star hotel is huge in every aspect. It is a large convention center at the front and guest rooms are located at the back. There is a lake in the middle of the complex. In the guest room building, and there are two of them, the corridors are the widest I've seen in any hotel. We stayed in the deluxe business rooms, and the room is very big. So big that the distance from the bed to the TV is so wide that I think the 32" inch is probably a bit small. Everything is modern and very new, very clean. The bathroom is very vogue, new style, where you can see from the bedroom.

There was a promotion on and we paid CNY 600 per night for 2 nights. There are cheaper rooms, which in hindsight will be very adequate for even the most demanding traveller.

The positives include a large selection at breakfast and good Chinese restaurant. While we were there, we noticed that the hotel was very quiet, so I guess, if there is no convention, there are hardly any guests.

The negatives include location, which is near the airport, but in the middle of no where. It is not far from the Tunxi town and there is a nightly shuttle to go to the ancient street. If you want to climb Mt Huangshan, I would recommend staying in Tangkou. If you are touring the nearby attractions and your budget allows a private car and driver, then this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Excellent, brand new hotel, with very helpful staff. Good restaurants and excellent value in this Chinese hotel. Assistant Manager practically became our personal assistant during our stay, arranging private transportation and translation via mobile phone. Truly a memorable stay and a great starting point for our excursions to the mountain and villages

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Clean and neat.
Easy to access from highway. no bathtub for standard room, if I remember correctly.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I cannot rave enough about this hotel - the hotel is huge (we are usually boutique hotel travellers), but we had an amazing stay. The rooms were excellent - five star by all standards - and the restaurant was excellent both at dinner and the amazing breakfast buffet. The service we received from Tony, who spoke excellent English, was above and beyond any expectations. He purchased our bus tickets for us and delivered them during his off hours and was just incredibly friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple